PC Builds - Show us yours!

s1xtyn1n3

I've always loved messing about on and inside PC's - have built my own machines for nearly 20 years now and have started building some pretty custom machines for friends and friends of friends.

Thought I'd start a build picture thread :)

Here's my personal (see-through) rig at the moment:

20170219_184547.thumb.jpg.de024fd5eeadff39cbdef4abd8490e22.jpg

20170219_184629.thumb.jpg.836e6cbd175b488512e7a7e4681a3db7.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just built my gaming rig. Thinking about going for a watercooled install next.

Some specs

Case - nzxt s340 elite

Cooler - NZXT Kraken x62

Motherboard Asus Z370 F

Processor - i7 8700k

Ram - 32gb (4x8gb) Corsair vengence 3200mhz

PSU - RM750X Corsair

Graphics card - ASUS ROG Strix gtx 1080 ti

Storage 250gb m.2 Samsung evo

2tb Seagate barracuda

Fans - nzxt aer rgb 1x 120 1x 140

Lighting - Hue + 4 led strips

Internal extras - nzxt usb hub

Mouse - Razer deathadder elite

Keyboard - Razer BlackWidow chroma

Headset - Razer kraken 7.1 v2 chroma

Monitor - asus rog pg278qr

9847BEE2-2352-4558-BD90-3377B7F2AB49.jpeg

64F2D681-2957-4083-AE8F-0797659BAC14.jpeg

160115E8-5062-46DD-B99B-D59661DBF24E.jpeg

Edited by ZeppoJeff
  • Like 3

On 12/02/2018 at 22:43, ZeppoJeff said:

Some new lighting in build today...now I think it’s finished. Well after I get some custom cabling :p

NZXT Hue+? That's what I have in mine and love it! 

Yeah custom cables make a build look amazing - I make my own. They are fiddly to make, but being able to make them exactly the right length, including bends makes it worth while.IMG-20160705-WA0009.jpeg.476800722fbed66a2eb86fe5c69d4579.jpeg

It also means i can make some other cool adaptor cables such as this 8 pin pci-e to 8+6 pin pci-e extension:

IMG-20160721-WA0000.jpeg.4f5dcbfd59fdbe9145eb309e888dc929.jpeg

Plus I now have a supplier who does about 30-40 different colours :D

• 2 weeks later...

Having been thwarted recently trying to mod the car, I took it out on my computer and beat my 8+year old Packard Bell breeze block into something a lot more aesthetic !

A sleek NZXT H400i with Kraken x52 cooler loop:

20180224_185030.jpg.189ed801b98fcbe7b03a96b6cd4f2eec.jpg

Cleaning out my old systems guts to transplant was an experience - surprised it hadn't cooked itself before now !

20180224_185110.jpg.ada50080c77b1a79e5551115838612a2.jpg

Gross :yuck:

• Like 1

Doing some more custom cable work this afternoon - Custom length sleeved ATX and PCI-E cables which should be fun. Also doing some cable management on the same build. Will try and get pictures of all that if people are interested. 

This is all for someone else though.... I really want to do hardline water cooling in my system - the loop will be about £400 I reckon, but I think I'm going to wait and do it when i refresh my system. Seems little point to doing it now on my 6700k/1080 machine

I'm a complete novice at this, but have a question:

I've got an old Dell desktop - can I simply remove the motherboard, graphics card, ram and processor and replace them with modern equivalents?

Ie keep the case, cd drive, harddrives (would probably upgrade them tbf) and power supply the same?

I desperately need a new machine and always fancied tinkering with them and then found this old Dell in the loft and just wondered if it was doable. Might end up being cheaper just buying a new one anyway admittedly

depends what model and spec your dell tower is, older models use different mounting points for the motherboard, more than likely the PSU will be very low powered (240-300watts) unit, the power on button/switch may only work with dell motherboard as the connectors maybe proprietary.

if the CD/DVD drive is SATA you can reuse that, IF the power connector isn't a 2 wire dell only one that is, ram maybe reused if its DDR3, DDR4 is fairly recent so guess it won't be that, harddrive should be able to use, again depends if it's SATA or not - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

might be best to start from scratch as it will be easier in the long run and keep the dell for a backup pc.

what do you use a pc for, gaming, movie editing or just browsing the internet ?

what sort of budget have you got in mind ?

Edited by neo

Nothing high powered, just browsing and the odd bit of work. All cheap PCs seem to only support 1 screen though and 2 monitors minimum is a must for me. I guess I could buya  cheap dell and then put a proper graphics card in for the dual monitors, but then wondering whether I might as well build it myself.

Is it still noticeably cheaper to build it yourself?

:surrender: best put it back into the loft.

have you tried eBay for a second hand Dell tower ?? have had a few dell 7010 or 3010 (SFF) from various sellers without issue, a few generations old but still perfectly fine, slightly newer versions are 9010 or 9020.

you could always look at building yourself,been building pc's since windows 95 :blush:

My build -
            Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Aerocool aero-500 case in white, cheapish case,looks good tho ( removed side panel for the pic)
            Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3.20GHz

Arctic Freezer 7 pro Rev.2 cooler - had this for years on a AMD phenom II now on my intel, works pretty good and quiet.
            8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (9-9-9-24)
            MSI H97M-G43(MS-7924)
            S240HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
            NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte)

480GB OCZ-ARC100 (SSD)
            2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI (SATA)
            2TB SAMSUNG HD204UI (SATA)

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B - been in several builds 
            EVGA 650 CQ psu - set to eco mode, never heard the fan kick up at all.

yes the CPU is older gen but does everything i need so no point upgrading, pc is almost silent when browsing the net, older games it's still almost silent, battlefield or dirt rally kicks the fans up a little but still very quiet.

pc-01.jpg

Edited by neo

2 hours ago, neo said:

:surrender: best put it back into the loft.

have you tried eBay for a second hand Dell tower ?? have had a few dell 7010 or 3010 (SFF) from various sellers without issue, a few generations old but still perfectly fine, slightly newer versions are 9010 or 9020.

you could always look at building yourself,been building pc's since windows 95 :blush:

Not a bad idea I suppose.

Wouldn't mind building myself, but just wondering whether the cost is worth it for me. Looking at your 9010/9020 ebay suggestions and you can get one for £150-200 which is pretty good. Can then mod that as needed.

Are the slimline towers more of a PITA for upgrading graphics cards etc?

yeah slim towers (SFF - small form factors) are limited in hard drive space and graphics cards, they need a LP - low profile version, i have a gtx 750ti in a dell 7010 SFF, plays most games at pretty high details at a decent framerate.

Best to go for a full tower then you can fit a few hard drives, full size graphic cards, then if needed, a different PSU as well.

it is easy to build yourself, look on youtube for guides,plenty of computer forums as well for help and suggestions, if you want to go that route, a budget in mind it will make your decision easier :)

To give you some idea of costs, my GTX1060 6GB cost £239 back in oct 2016, now they are over £300.

Edited by neo

Cheers for your help. Looks like the 9020 might be good enough for me in standard spec anyway, and I can just add in my existing hard drives to bulk that up.

I doublt I'll be needing to mess around with the PSU anyway. If I get that into it I might as well do a proper build!