Decat Performance Gains Pros/Cons

reeceybeaney

I have scoured the forum pages however I cannot find a thread relating to actual performance gains/benefits from fitting decats pipes to a 350z.

I'm considering going down this route, once again... although most of the pros and cons are stated everywhere etc I would quite like to hear of some other people's actual experiences and results from dyno days!

Picture for my amusement/attention :lol:

20171230_112114.jpg

I think most people go down this route as part of the uprev experience, so it would be difficult to know stand alone gains from doing this. However if i recall correctly my zed made 285 on the dyno before uprev...but that was with all the main pre uprev bolt-ons...Motordyne Art pipes, plenum spacer, panel filter and exhaust mods.

The only thing i noticed was it was smellier and a little louder!!...but the smell was mostly rectified after fitting the Motordyne xyz HFC Y pipe. :)

Just decats pipes alone won't gain any without an uprev and your EML lights will be on all the time. Only gain will be a bit increase in exhaust volume. As above, the get the full potential, you'll need all those other mods before uprev. 

If I did go down this route, getting an uprev would certainly be happening, along with a plenum spacer. I was just curious of what sort of gains people were getting from this particular mod and whether it was worth it as it seems quite popular!

I did find the dyno results thread on the forum earlier which was interesting

What type of gain are you looking for? What amount of BHP increase would you think was value for money?

When I did mine, I had HFC's, Spacer and MREV2 lower plenum added and probably gained around 20 BHP. You aren't going to get much more than that with NA tuning. The remap was probably worth it for the better drive-ability in 1st and 2nd. In hindsight, I might not have spent the money on the  spacer etc. if it was just for performance gains. However, my car sounds absolutely awesome, so from that perspective was worth it.

I would personally stick with HFC's rather than decats as the difference will be negligible (Unless you plan on Turbo/Supercharging) and you can pass an MOT without having to swap them.

Cool dog btw, he looks like a bit of a bruiser! :)

13 minutes ago, Paddy78 said:

What type of gain are you looking for? What amount of BHP increase would you think was value for money?

When I did mine, I had HFC's, Spacer and MREV2 lower plenum added and probably gained around 20 BHP. You aren't going to get much more than that with NA tuning. The remap was probably worth it for the better drive-ability in 1st and 2nd. In hindsight, I might not have spent the money on the  spacer etc. if it was just for performance gains. However, my car sounds absolutely awesome, so from that perspective was worth it.

I would personally stick with HFC's rather than decats as the difference will be negligible (Unless you plan on Turbo/Supercharging) and you can pass an MOT without having to swap them.

Cool dog btw, he looks like a bit of a bruiser! :)

I think everyone with a DE hopes for 300bhp on the dyno :lol:

I just wanted to spend a bit of money on the zed and get it uprev'd as the car is supposedly remapped but never been put on a dyno! I'm also quite annoyed I can't keep up with my mates '15 cupra r :lol:

I did look into HFC, however they're quite expensive and I can't convince myself to spend that much when I'm only 20 on a poor apprentice wage...;)

The frenchie is a girl! She's well built though and can take on the chocolate lab :lol:

1 hour ago, reeceybeaney said:

I think everyone with a DE hopes for 300bhp on the dyno :lol:

I just wanted to spend a bit of money on the zed and get it uprev'd as the car is supposedly remapped but never been put on a dyno! I'm also quite annoyed I can't keep up with my mates '15 cupra r :lol:

I did look into HFC, however they're quite expensive and I can't convince myself to spend that much when I'm only 20 on a poor apprentice wage...;)

The frenchie is a girl! She's well built though and can take on the chocolate lab :lol:

I'm supercharged and one of those cupra r things surprised me with his dsg etc so don't feel bad lol

4 minutes ago, nissanman312 said:

I'm supercharged and one of those cupra r things surprised me with his dsg etc so don't feel bad lol

I drove one and with the dsg they're quite crazy! Modern cars just too good these days unfortunately :lol: zed still looks and sounds better thoB)

I made over 300bhp in my DE after uprev which was nice...and i also gained AFTER bolt-ons without uprev...which was also nice!

You COULD go lightened fly and clutch (Extreme or Exedy) for around a grand or for two you could go NOS!

Uprev and required mods will probably cost you over £1000 so depends on your budget.

Uprev is about £400 these days i think.