BMW 4 SERIES

formatzero

Well I have a few concerns about reliability,these may be unfounded but my daughter has a 1 series which hasn't been that reliable.Are the Germans ultimate driving machine all they are cracked up to be.In other words will they be as good as a Z or should I be looking elsewhere ?

They're the most popular brand in the UK, so they're going to have more problems than other cars and being a premium brand, repairs will likely cost more. That said, I don't think they're particularly prone to anything terminal, and having worked on them they're pretty well designed too (for the most part!).

As good as a Zed? Well, they'll be quicker and handle better, but they'll also feel more 'normal' and not as special. If you need rear seats though then comparisons to the Zed are irrelevant. I'm not sure what else you'd get really that could be any better in terms of the overall package.

2 minutes ago, Ekona said:

They're the most popular brand in the UK, so they're going to have more problems than other cars and being a premium brand, repairs will likely cost more. That said, I don't think they're particularly prone to anything terminal, and having worked on them they're pretty well designed too (for the most part!).

As good as a Zed? Well, they'll be quicker and handle better, but they'll also feel more 'normal' and not as special. If you need rear seats though then comparisons to the Zed are irrelevant. I'm not sure what else you'd get really that could be any better in terms of the overall package.

Ok thanks for that !

I'm guessing the 1 series was a petrol? The diesel and 6 cylinder engines are the best of the bunch on the F chassis, that 2 litre petrol has a fair few issues from what I've heard/read.

435 will be a delight for sure, that engine has been around awhile in various forms so should be fairly solid, makes very very strong power after a map too: https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/services/performance-stats/bmw/4-series-f3x-2013/petrol/435i-301-bhp-2013-ECU-remap-chiptuning/stage-1#t3-content

Comparing to the Z is pointless as they're cars from different eras. The 4 will be infinitely nicer day to day and with the noise that engine puts out certainly no less of an event when you open it up! It feels NA up in the revs, seriously impressive thing.

Options on BM are fun.. best suggestion I can give is to make an account on here http://www.blue-print.com/blueprintlive/?lang=GB then on catalogue when you put a reg in you'll get given the VIN. Take that VIN to here: https://www.bmwvin.com/ and it'll give you a breakdown of the options fitted at factory. Super useful when buying private as they rarely list out everything.

HK audio system is a must if you can find it

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cimanu said:

Options on BM are fun.. best suggestion I can give is to make an account on here http://www.blue-print.com/blueprintlive/?lang=GB then on catalogue when you put a reg in you'll get given the VIN. Take that VIN to here: https://www.bmwvin.com/ and it'll give you a breakdown of the options fitted at factory. Super useful when buying private as they rarely list out everything.

HK audio system is a must if you can find it

Thanks for this, very useful when car hunting :thumbs:

• Like 1

I've just bought a bmw, picking it up in an hour actually.  Nothing as fancy as the 435 but I did do some research.  Those links woudl have saved a few hours !

Anyway, my only point was that the BMW standard audio and sat nave are 'limited'.  Advanced audio is seen as a must although HK is not seen as worth the extra cash it requires. The standard sat-nav has a tiny screen and the upgraded version a bigger one.  That's a bit of a rip-off but again, if you ever use the sat-nav then you need the upgrade on in most people's opinion.

Finally, driver comfort pack is a good one to have as you get cruise and F/R parking sensors.

I apologise in advance if this doesn't apply to the 4-series, mine is a 1-series M which are known to be a bit basic before you add stuff on.

They are a bit soft for my taste but the engine is a beauty, and the 8 speed ZF one of the best non DSG's you can buy, good choice. 

As someone else said look hard at the options list as resale depends a fair amount of having the right options and right colours, if you want more power its as easy as downloading an app (MHD) to your phone and buying a cable. A few chassis tweaks make a lot of difference but TBF if youre looking at 435 rather than 235 it might be better left as a milemuncher :)