EV Thread - ALL EV POSTS HERE PLEASE

coldel

EV is cleaner, but not clean. We can as a species cut down on harmful environmental damage but it will always be there in some shape or form which is what I would guess the cartoon is hinting to, that some EV owners think they are 'clean' when in fact they are just 'cleaner' than the common alternative, just not clean.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, un1eash said:

Why don't tesla concentrate on filling the 500,000 model 3 pre orders. Currently delivering cars at 2500 a month that's a very very long wait for a £35k UK model 3.

The 'P'cars by far the highest margins with hardly any increased production complexity, the only real difference between the P cars and the current RWD ones will be another motor up front. 

Model 3 production is actually just hit 2000/week, and current looking like 5000/week will be hit by the end of the year. Interms of actually complexity the Model 3 is simple compared to our X, but the battery pack design is much more complex than some other manufactures mainly in liquid cooling for all the cells. But it appears by the recent jump in Model 3 VINs Tesla/Panasonic are getting on top of the battery production. 

https://electrek.co/2018/04/05/tesla-model-3-record-vins-registered-production/

https://insideevs.com/gm-versus-tesla-bolt-ev-tesla-model-3-battery-packs-compared/

• 4 weeks later...

I thought it was really bizarre behaviour, I mean our CEO runs these sort of conversations every quarter and I dial in and yes its dry but thats not the point as the comments will go public and can affect share prices and consumer confidence. Bizarre behaviour, really.

Bless him, with his hands over his ears going lalalalalalalalalalalalala. 

Surely he understands you have to play the corperate game to succeed in business and to move forward.  Unless you then go on to blame fuel tycoons halting progress as an excuse. 

Exactly. He needs to play the game and inspire confidence that everything is going to be alright. At the moment the best thing I can see tesla has done is cause some of the big boys to up there EV game. 

Will be interesting to see if the bigger players have the same sort of battery supply/production problems GZ highlighted. If not, then that could be the end for Tesla if VW flex their muscles and roll out EVs across multiple price brackets.

Not sure what the fascination with share prices and cash flow is, I just care about the cars.

The P85D S I had for 24hrs is still the most brutal road car I've ever driven or sat it, and by Tesla 'P' car standards its pedestrian. I'm sorely temped to see if I can make the maths work to try and swap our 'base' X for a the 'P' versions but it just isn't going to happen, even if I could afford it, the concept of having a 3ton SUV that capable of getting to 60 as quick as the P85D S I drove it just nuts, and borders on reckless.

However the same drivetrain in a smaller body, and coming in at not much more than Z weight is so much more compelling. We'll probably see the 'P' version of the 3 come out in the summer, pricing I recon will be around M3/RS4 money, which will make it a very very difficult car to resist. It'll be quick for sure, the question is how quick, and if Tesla would be bold enough to let the engineers push is close to the P100D L Model S.

https://electrek.co/2018/04/05/tesla-model-3-dual-motor-air-suspension-spotted-race-track-performance-version/

Edited by gangzoom

The cars are impressive, but surely the company cash flow needs to be maintained too. Does it not worry you, as someone who is passionate about the Tesla, brand that if they get no investment production will go even skier and r n d will stop?

I'm always concerned when brands I like have financial trouble. 

1 hour ago, Jay84 said:

The cars are impressive, but surely the company cash flow needs to be maintained too. Does it not worry you, as someone who is passionate about the Tesla, brand that if they get no investment production will go even skier and r n d will stop?

I'm always concerned when brands I like have financial trouble. 

People have been predicting the end of Tesla since 2012, the 'headlines' are always the same.

Tesla is apparently one of the most shorted stocks on the market, there is probably more people who will make money from Tesla going bankrupt than Tesla currently employ!!

Am not stock market analyst or even a business person, I just like cars. Having had our X for 14 months and done some 19k, I can say its simply the most capable car I have ever owned.

We were at the in-laws last weekend, coming back we managed to fit full sized single bed + mattress, weekend luggage for 2 adults + 2 year old, a mini scooter, travel cot, kids bath, potty into the car and still enough passenger space fot 4 adults!!!

In total we covered some 400 miles in 24hrs last Saturday/Sunday, as far as am concerned there is no other car I want to own right now regardless of price/powertrain, as a one family car to do everything nothing else comes close interms of ability/speed/space/safety :).

41776802711_76e66e5812_k_d.jpg

40739588225_b1b6bb9360_h.jpg

Edited by gangzoom

Most SUV's would carry the same though? nothing impressive about that. Internal storage space isn't a Tesla patent :lol:

Tesla would have failed from the outset without government intervention - its not making money and probably wont for many years, but then again its not set up to. BUT Elon has to grow up and start being a big boy if he wants to be a CEO, childish remarks like he has made have no place when so much of the public money is at stake.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, coldel said:

Most SUV's would carry the same though? nothing impressive about that. Internal storage space isn't a Tesla patent :lol:

Your be surprised how little space is in most SUVs, our inlaws tried to bring just the mattress in their E class....Not a chance, and don't forget about leaving enough space for a 2 year+baby seat.

Its not about Tesla but packaging an EV lets you do once you dont need to worry about transmission tunnels, exhausts, etc. 

I still dont get the obsession with Tesla, if you don't own one why do you care about the company?? If you dont like Tesla as a brand thats fine, no one is making you buy one?? 

Am now on the look out for the second EV to replace my wifes Lexus. Have half an eye on the up and coming EV XJ, but realistically thats going to be too pricey compared to a Model 3, still we'll see soon i guess.

Edited by gangzoom

1 hour ago, gangzoom said:

I still dont get the obsession with Tesla

The irony....

Does it not concern you, as a customer,  that if Tesla have to shut shop that your car becomes instantly obsolete with no one to fix it when it breaks (or someone crashes into you) and no one producing parts?

Edited by ilogikal1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1