EV Thread - ALL EV POSTS HERE PLEASE

coldel

21 minutes ago, Ekona said:

There you go then, smaller motor and limit the throttle. Job done.

As I've mentioned the Hyundai Kona EV is going on sale this summer. 64kWh, 300 miles range, and sub £30k so half the price of any Tesla or iPace. 

I personally will be very happy to own one, but when I mentioned swapping either car for a Hyundai to my wife I got the look am sure anyone whos married knows well :).

15 minutes ago, Ekona said:

The one where you say to her that when she starts paying for the cars herself, she gets to choose what she drives round in?

She paid for 1/3 the cost of my car and 100% of own car!! 

Edited by gangzoom

Good point well made about range v power GZ, but it's all that ever gets used in marketing, including the Tesla truck. I fully expect to see range improve, and realistically it'll be at a faster rate than the range increased on the 1st ICE cars. 

11 hours ago, Ekona said:

Then can I borrow her?! :lol:

Am a greedy git aint sharing with anyone :lol:

With a young family like it or not rear passenger space is really important to us. I've just seen Nissan is promising to bring a much more exciting looking EV to market than the Leaf, designed by the same guy in charge of the 350Z!

To be honest the Hyundai Kona EV could be £10k and I woudlnt be interested - the Hyundai brand just doesnt do it for me, but I love Nissans so this thing will get my money without a second thought.

Hopefully they will sell a Nismo version, if Nissan put a big enough battery in there it should out run a GTR to 60, and have a range of 300 miles :).

https://insideevs.com/nissan-leaf-suv-will-be-game-changer-for-electric-segment/

Edited by gangzoom

Agreed. 

It’s good we’re seeing plenty of new EVs coming, but I’m very concerned we’re not seeing any substantial increase in network capability for charging, both at home and more significantly on the road. I know you need demand first, but it’s quite clear now that many (if not all) manufacturers are progressing rapidly with RVs so where’s the infrastructure? 

It’s more a rhetoric question than anything. 

That Leaf is never going to look anything like that in anything close to production variance. That front end would maim anyone and anything it it came in contact with so it just wont happen.

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

Yet I'm still sure someone will be along shortly to explain to us how Tesla are going to turn every square inch of the public highways into superchargers, for free, over night.

• Like 1

Terraced houses with no drives and cables running over the pavement. I imagine those circumstances would restrict a potential EV owner.  Or people who live in flats I guess. I wonder what the ratio to people with driveways to those without is. 

The new Leaf just needs to look like the new Micra, I think that's quite a nice looking car, especially in  black. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ekona said:

Agreed. 

It’s good we’re seeing plenty of new EVs coming, but I’m very concerned we’re not seeing any substantial increase in network capability for charging, both at home and more significantly on the road. I know you need demand first, but it’s quite clear now that many (if not all) manufacturers are progressing rapidly with RVs so where’s the infrastructure? 

I've just got a new job as a Software Development Manager and our company is in the fuel card industry, with a multi-billion pound turnover.  There are literally hundreds of active projects with fuel suppliers, distributors, networks etc across the globe.  I brought up the future of EV's at my interview and asked what the future holds in this area, and whether there is a big push to integrate EV's into our product offerings, and they said there isn't.  Within my my first week a request from a major fuel network who we've all heard of came in, to work on a proof of concept project to offer an electric fuel card - and our bosses all knocked it back and said they weren't interested!

I was really surprised and thought when a major player like that comes to us first to test out a proof of concept with the potential that EV's appear to have we'd have been all over it.  My bosses are the experts though so it could be a good indicator that the future is far from certain.

On 16/03/2018 at 09:43, mattross1313 said:

I'm going there in June, first stop on our honeymoon road trip. Sadly not able to drive the circuit as there is a track day already organised, but I'm hoping to play the honeymoon card and see about a passenger lap!

Fantastic.  Put some pics up please when you get back. :thumbs:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jay84 said:

Terraced houses with no drives and cables running over the pavement. I imagine those circumstances would restrict a potential EV owner.  Or people who live in flats I guess. I wonder what the ratio to people with driveways to those without is. 

The new Leaf just needs to look like the new Micra, I think that's quite a nice looking car, especially in  black. 

Even those with a drive, if you're renting possibly the landlord won't allow for the installation. Home owner to renting is on the decrease too of late.

The national grid has a whole website with multiple well written documents on future energy demands/prediction over next 20 years including EV usage. They also document the modelling methods they used. Am not going to post any graphs/content as last time I posted a graph it caused more confusion than a bull in a China shop :)

http://fes.nationalgrid.com/fes-document/

We as a household is also taking part in a national project looking at the use of smart home chargers that regulate output pending demand on the grid. The intial 'baseline' report is out already. 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.westernpower.co.uk/docs/Innovation/Current-projects/CarConnect/Electric-Nation-Customer-Research-and-Trial-Update.aspx&ved=2ahUKEwj_tLCKg_XZAhVKI8AKHa5_CfMQFjABegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2ATcdAJcvllny71IOl8qHR

The same group have already done a smaller trial funded in part by Nissan a few years ago. The 'summary' report is bit vague and too subjective for me, the real good stuff is in the data files which you can request to down load via the webpage.

http://myelectricavenue.info/trial-results

There are loads of people looking into future EV charging plans, so am personally not worried. 350KW chargers are already been installed in Europe, those things can in theory fully recharge the battery in old Leaf in 5 mintues!!! The power needed to run such a charger is roughly the same as 350 Dyson hoovers all on all the same time!!!

Powering a charger like that will be a challenge, Tesla have recently got planning permission for a massive 8bay+ site both north and south bound at Leicester Forest East. Once built thats atleast 16 chargers capable of running at 150KW each, that translate to a peak demand of 2.4MW if all 16 bays are running at full speed.....no idea how they are supplying that setup, am 100% sure its not all via a direct grid link. The grid around that area already goes down quite often which why the Glenfield hospital has major issues with ensuring they have enough powerback generators to keep all the MRI/Radiology hybrid theaters running when the grid goes down - which seems to be at least once a few months. We'll see just how quickly Tesla can get Leicster Forest East on line and how quickly the chargers can actually run. I suspect 60KW (half speed) will be max most of the time.

Edited by gangzoom

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43617752

Electric car-maker Tesla has been admonished by the US watchdog investigating a recent fatal crash involving one of its cars.

The National Transportation Safety Board said it was "unhappy" the firm had made public details of the probe. The company had blogged on Friday that the Model X car involved's Autopilot self-steering system was in use at the time of the accident.

Best bit? Right at the bottom...

Until now, the function could be switched on and off via a steering wheel button, but other adjustments required the driver to use a touchscreen, which might distract them from the road.

News site Engadget reports that its settings can now be changed via the steering wheel's scroll buttons

So Tesla finally realising that touchscreens really aren't a clever idea for everything after all. Whilst it's a little bit funny, I'm actually more genuinely pleased to see that at least one manufacturer is stepping back and moving back to proper buttons again. I know tesla are a long way from that, but it's a good start.

• Like 1

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 20:08, gangzoom said:

Again if you want facts (which I know many people dont), all the actual data is there :).

www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

Those are current actual data ? I can't see any projected data there --> not much EV on the road now, what happens when there are more EV? I'm not against EV but that picture just shows one of the potential issue in the background. Another item would the be battery disposal at the end of life. In a nutshell, EV or IC vehicle........they will impact the environment one way or another. Walk or bicycle might solve it though :yahoo: