EV Thread - ALL EV POSTS HERE PLEASE

coldel

Its one of those things isn't it. Tesla realise that fossil fuels will run out/atmosphere is dying, governments know it, car firms were making little progress in moving to EVs, US government keeps Tesla from going belly up for years with billions of dollars to develop the tech regular car firms were not willing to move to. Ultimately tech can be replicated, I can only see the big firms copy/purchase Tesla once they have it nailed down and everyones happy. Its quite common for governments to spend billions of taxpayers money on cleaner energy, the UK government gives plenty of money to companies to develop better energy solutions. 

1 hour ago, Jay84 said:

GZ, I admire your passion for EV's, and although they don't excite me like a noisey fossil burner, I can see a place for them, and as a commuter I'd have one. If you don't mind me asking how long ago did you own a Zed? It's not a dig so please don't think it, just curiosity, after all your not the only one that came for the car and stayed for the awesome people. 

Z was about 4 years, than the 335i for about 4 years as well, Leaf was temp 2 year savings move to enable the Tesla purchase. Plan is to keep the X till the need for baby seats go....so that depends on when/if a second sprog arrives.

SUVs didnt make much sense to me before but these days when my daughter is the car half the time I am I can see why people love them.

Just as it happens the bumper to bumper warranty on the Tesla is 4 years, so by 2022 I might be ready to go back to a non monster truck, but we'll see as the X is owned outright and has tiny running costs so we might just end up treating it like a family hack till it dies. Either way am pretty sure by than the choice of EVs will be huge, Infinti has something in the works and it'll be good to go back to a Nissan ).

I used to really like his column is the Sun on Saturday when work provided it, and his books are perfect sat on the throne reading material with their short chapters. My SO hates Hammond the most on TV. I think May the best TV personality, similar to Edd China with his hands on approach.

• 1 month later...

iPace looks very good, but still Tesla pricing, so £75k+ after the £4K EV grant if you want half decent spec. Not cheap enough to be considered as a second car to complement our X sadly, and been only a 5 seater cannot really replace the X. Actually just had our X detailed/paint protected, for a people movers it scrubs up pretty well. 

38919791830_869efdc055_b.jpg

38919787460_f42acaf6af_b.jpg

^ I belive Jag has already sold 12 months production. I believe if you havent got a deposit in your looking at 2019 as earliest delivery. It may be expensive but compared to a Macan Turbo/RR Sport its the same price ball park, and Porsche/Land Rover have no problems shifting those.

Edited by gangzoom

21 hours ago, davey_83 said:

I think the i-Pace wins hands down in the styling battle and if I was ever lucky enough to even consider one, that's where my hard earned would be going.

Plus it will be infinitely better quality in comparison to the notoriously shoddy Teslas.

1 hour ago, davey_83 said:

From what I gather the Tesla interior build isn't shoddy, but its nowhere near what one would topically expect from the list price.

Tesla interiors are fine for £70K+ bracket, main issues is people who paid £140K+ for a P100D X have a car that looks/feels exactly the same as our base spec £66K before options 60D X - the only difference is the crazy 0-60 time which most of the time you cannot use. 

Jaguar reliability is also not the greatest, apparently one of the pre-production cars broke down near a Supercharger site this weekend, an AA van apparently turned up shortly and the car was stuffed full of monitoring gear. It does worry me a bit Jaguar has announced the iPace is 'production' ready but the test mules are breaking down and still gathering data. 

25880271147_e936895867_b.jpg

Still the iPace will sell fine, however Jag is wasting their time targeting Tesla owners (lots of people on the Tesla Facebook group have had emails from Jag), but I've not seen/heard of a single Tesla owner switching to Jag because of the iPace.

What they should focus on is the people who can afford a £70K 5 seater SUV and currently buying things like the SQ5/Macan Turbo/X5M. The iPace has the performance, brand image to go head to head with those cars with no issues. 

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1