EV Thread - ALL EV POSTS HERE PLEASE

coldel

Here's an interesting thought for you...with the progression in EVs and Driver less cars.....the need to actually own a car may go away.......vehicles on demand!!

open you app, demand a car, arrives at your door, takes you to where you want to go.....charges you appropriately

Excellent, I can now hide this part of the forum :yahoo:  (I hope I can anyway)

But just to point out GZ - Yes it was the episode with the Rimac.  Who cares if it has half the power of the roadster, my point being past and current vehicles they put through the tunnel created presence and drama!  The only way you'll get drama from an EV is if you crash it, which is why Hammond crashed.  He clearly found the Rimac so undesirable he was prepared to spare his life.  If it wasn't for the rescue services Hammond would have been quite happy killing himself and the Rimac.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Paul K said:

Here's an interesting thought for you...with the progression in EVs and Driver less cars.....the need to actually own a car may go away.......vehicles on demand!!

open you app, demand a car, arrives at your door, takes you to where you want to go.....charges you appropriately

There are companies like zipcar who do something similar to this already - although you have to walk to the closest parked zipcar rather than it coming to your door. Oh and drive it yourself....  but you know what I mean. :lol:

I've no doubt that one day I'll own/rent/hire an EV. It'll be for the daily grind, where the car drives itself and I can eat breakfast or read the paper or snooze away. That's the goal, that's where an EV can beat anything else.

On the weekend, I'm firing up my ICE car and enjoying every last noise, smell and odd shaking through the steering wheel on right hand bends at 40mph that I have to diagnose myself.

I would've thought so, as you're not really limited by where you put the batteries (assuming they're flat rather than boxy) so you'd probably lay them all out on the floorpan. Would do wonders for dynamics as well, keeping the weight down that low.

Just a shame they weigh so much right now.

4 hours ago, Wasso said:

Excellent, I can now hide this part of the forum :yahoo:  (I hope I can anyway)

But just to point out GZ - Yes it was the episode with the Rimac.  Who cares if it has half the power of the roadster, my point being past and current vehicles they put through the tunnel created presence and drama!  The only way you'll get drama from an EV is if you crash it, which is why Hammond crashed.  He clearly found the Rimac so undesirable he was prepared to spare his life.  If it wasn't for the rescue services Hammond would have been quite happy killing himself and the Rimac.

I have to admit I no idea on the tech behind the Rimac not even its battery size, and actually Hammond was lucky to get out alive as lithium is rather an reactive element.

The noise side clearly is never going to work with EVs but is simply a different experience. Driving anything quickly/on the limit takes skill and is clearly dangerous, which for me what its all about.

10 hours ago, davey_83 said:

For me performance EV's is like watching Formula E, all the ingredients but lacking one incredibly important aspect....

Absolutely :thumbs:

I had been contemplating a 718 Cayman but with the 4 pot/turbo used to tick the emissions box it has ruined the aural quality....just like F1! 

That is the real pain of the current technology for us petrolheads :thumbdown:

I just showed the wife an article on the new BMW i8 Roadster and her immediate response was "Get one, get one now!!!!!!".

Not sure what to make of her response really. Tempting as its not often I get the go ahead to buy something like that, but not sure id like it over my 997, and I can imagine depreciation on it wouldnt be nice.

1 hour ago, rabbitstew said:

I just showed the wife an article on the new BMW i8 Roadster and her immediate response was "Get one, get one now!!!!!!".

Not sure what to make of her response really. Tempting as its not often I get the go ahead to buy something like that, but not sure id like it over my 997, and I can imagine depreciation on it wouldnt be nice.

Never, ever do what the wife says when a Porsche is involved

• Like 1

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 22:42, davey_83 said:

For me performance EV's is like watching Formula E, all the ingredients but lacking one incredibly important aspect....

I think what formula E needs is a chain drive - this thing sounds demonic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khrEAf_4SD4

however, if a formula E car sounded like this, then it wouldn't be allowed to race in city centres, which would then defeat the point. From what I understand formulaE cars only make about 240bhp in race trim (270 in qualifying), so compared to ICE formulas they're a little slow... but a few more years of progress to up those numbers to 400-500bhp.

^ Formula E battery packs are currently limited to only 28kWh and all come from the same company (McLarean at present), my Tesla has 75kWh, the new Roadster will have 200kWh.

I believe the FIA are planning to allow teams to develop their own packs in the coming seasons. What controls the amount of power an EV can produce is not really the motor but the battery. The larger the battery pack the higher the voltage, so lower amps can be used to supply the same power, which in turn means less heat/more sustainable performance - as well as having more energy in the battery to start off with.

If Tesla/Panasonic can go from 60kWh packs in 2012 to 200kWh pack by 2020 in a mass produced consumer market car, I can see 250-300kWh packs in motor sport in the not too distant future. I remember back in the early 1990s, a 40MB hard drive was seen as extra genet - not to mention expensive, these days we are looking at 4 Terabyte drives for <£200.

indeed, bought my father in law a 6TB hard drive for £120 on black Friday!

yeah I've no doubts the battery tech will continue to increase... a bit more speed would always help the spectacle, though in my opinion they should take out the ridiculously tight hairpins that always just cause a traffic jam on the circuit - though I appreciate fast flowing corners is a little tricky on city streets, where there are a lot of 90 degree turns.

On 13/12/2017 at 14:21, Ekona said:

I've no doubt that one day I'll own/rent/hire an EV. It'll be for the daily grind, where the car drives itself and I can eat breakfast or read the paper or snooze away. That's the goal, that's where an EV can beat anything else.

On the weekend, I'm firing up my ICE car and enjoying every last noise, smell and odd shaking through the steering wheel on right hand bends at 40mph that I have to diagnose myself.

+1. As daily commuter car, I'm all for it. For the times when I want to be too, hot, too cold, deaf and uncomfortable but happy, it'd be anything but.

• coldel changed the title to EV Thread - ALL EV POSTS HERE PLEASE