Number Plate exchange.

ricochet

A Zed owner who lives locally has approached me with an offer to buy my reg no, apparently he can relate it to his name.

His Zed is 04 as is mine, he offered to pay all costs/expenses as well as paying me for the number ,  he says I could have his  number as  part of the deal to hopefully make it easier,  he seems genuine,  I have not said I will do it but i'll  consider it.

I have never bought/transferred a plate so I do not know what problems might occur, especially with a straight swop.

All comments and advice gratefully  received.

I 'think' this would be the course of action you should take, but feel free to correct me.

1. Place YOUR number plate on retention with the DVLA (He should pay this, but will include the £80 transfer fee).

The DVLA will then assign an age related plate to your car.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-transfer-or-retain-a-vehicle-registration-number

2. Once on retention and the certificate of retention is received, he can then transfer the plate onto his car (this can be done online before 7pm).

Him offering you his current plate is kinda irrelevant, unless you really want it.