640d

Kev

My Z is going to have to go this spring. I have to resist the temptation to keep it for another summer. 

I was planning on buying a early f80 M3 when the lease on my daily runs out in October. But I keep looking at 640d's because the seem like a lot of car for the money. 

I know they are very different cars, but the 640d is half the price and has a much better interior. 

Does anyone know of any major issues with the 640d? Seem too good to be true. 

Edited by Kev

1 hour ago, Mikevv said:

why not an M6 - Now that is a steal. £45k see's you into low mileage '14 plates :)

I've been looking at m5's for mid 20's. But the warranty cost is huge and I wouldn't have a M with no warranty. They are great cars though. 

1 hour ago, un1eash said:

There very big for everyday use around town and you need deep pockets when things go wrong. 

They were something like £70k new and now 2012 cars are going for well under £20k. 

You can pick a well spec'd one with 50-60k miles for around £15k. A lot of car for the money. 

29 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Issues? It’s a diesel, so that’s your issue right there.

;) 

313bhp and stage one takes it to 380bhp with a stack of torque. 

I wouldnt normally go for a diesel gt coupe, but for around £15k I'm really tempted. Spec is mental for that money. I don't care if there is no room in the back. 

Edited by Kev

A nice rs5 is  £10k more expensive and I'm not a huge fan of the S5. If I got a RS5 I'd want a akra too. 

Id love a f80. But it's another £10k for the m performance carbon bits, exhaust and to sort the shockingly bad suspension. 

I dont think a 640d is the perfect car, but it's hard to beat for £15k. All the reviews seem good too. 

I appreciate it's a bit of a barge and probably won't age well. 

Edited by Kev

I hate cream leather too. Nothing worse in a car. 

That rs5 is a nice car no doubt. it's a slippery slope with me though. I'd just be thinking if I add £5k I could get a m5. 

At least if I get the 640d I won't be tempted to buy akra exhaust and overpriced pieces of carbon. 

ive been watching YouTube reviews tonight. The quality of the interior and build is really good and even the engine sounds ok for a diesel. 

Id be open to a 640i but they are rare.  90% are 640d's.  

I've decided against a 640d. Modern Diesel engines have too many parts that go wrong on a regular basis and aren't cheap to replace. I don't do enough miles to worry about mpg either.  

I'm going to go for a 640i or (as ekona suggested, and I previously dismissed) a V8 S5.

:D:D:D

Good man, and not just for agreeing with me. I absolutely agree with you, plus it won't be long before diesels really start getting hammered as the tide of hate turns towards them politically. I do love the F13, but even I couldn't look past a decent NA V8 in the S5.

I prefer the looks and interior of the 6 series. The interior is really high quality and very nice. But I prefer the s5's size and engine. 

If I can find a nice 640i I won't be able to resist. I think it might be easy to negotiate a few thousand of the price on one too. They tend to sit and most want the diesel. I think the fact that it's essentially a huge 2 seater puts alot of people off. 

640's sound great with a decent exhaust too

Edited by Kev

F chassis 6 is a stunning car, beautiful inside too. I would go for the 640D as it's an absolute monster of an engine that can roadtrip with good fuel costs too. 8 speed ZF auto is a delight in BMs so I don't think the lack of manual takes much away from them.

The 640 lacks the V8 already so what about a 435i? They can map to make very strong power (https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/services/performance-stats/bmw/4-series-f3x-2013/petrol/435i-301-bhp-2013-ECU-remap-chiptuning/stage-1#t3-content), available in manual and a little smaller yet more practical. Still look stunning and with that same F interior that works so well.

On 28/01/2018 at 20:32, Cimanu said:

F chassis 6 is a stunning car, beautiful inside too. I would go for the 640D as it's an absolute monster of an engine that can roadtrip with good fuel costs too. 8 speed ZF auto is a delight in BMs so I don't think the lack of manual takes much away from them.

The 640 lacks the V8 already so what about a 435i? They can map to make very strong power (https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/services/performance-stats/bmw/4-series-f3x-2013/petrol/435i-301-bhp-2013-ECU-remap-chiptuning/stage-1#t3-content), available in manual and a little smaller yet more practical. Still look stunning and with that same F interior that works so well.

A 640d is much easier to find so I might go that route.

I prefer the 6 series to the 4 series and 4’s are prone to interior rattles. Id love a M4 though. 

This is is the only 640i I can find in my range. The miles and price are high imo. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132418830932

My fear with the 640d is city centre bans and tax that might come in the near future. 

Edited by Kev

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2018 at 23:47, Kev said:

A 640d is much easier to find so I might go that route.

I prefer the 6 series to the 4 series and 4’s are prone to interior rattles. Id love a M4 though. 

This is is the only 640i I can find in my range. The miles and price are high imo. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132418830932

My fear with the 640d is city centre bans and tax that might come in the near future. 

City centre bans perhaps, but not so much a ban as a charge I imagine.

I doubt very much they'll change tax on older models, will just be new cars affected as they gradually bring it in. Certainly got a good few years on it yet!

8 hours ago, Cimanu said:

City centre bans perhaps, but not so much a ban as a charge I imagine.

I doubt very much they'll change tax on older models, will just be new cars affected as they gradually bring it in. Certainly got a good few years on it yet!

Local councils will decide what they do with charges for ICE cars vans. That worries me greatly.