I was indecisive now I'm just not sure!!!! Over to you lot

Keyser

:wave:

I'm in one of those moods so I thought as there are a lot of well balanced, sensible and mature people on this forum (sic) I would see what they had to say about my indecision.

So parked up (SORN) in the ZedShed (the original one that I was supposed to demolish last year :lol: ) is my slightly modified 2011 24,000 mile 370z 

Now I have been busy the last 18 to 24 months on other projects - mainly with work, the Radical and some home and family in the mix as well (not complaining just saying)  so when I took the Zed in for MOT it was noted that I had only done 1,700 miles since the last MOT :shrug:

The wrap I had done some 3 years ago is starting to look tatty so that has to be sorted, what I really can't decide is what to do, should I get a re-spray if I do should I have her done in good old re-sale silver (original colour) or should I get a one off colour, great if I'm keeping her but not so good if I want to sell her on sooner rather than later!

Now I have had the itch to buy a couple of other cars, R8, GTR etc I've done the 911 thing :thumbs:   BUT each time I look into it I think, I don't drive this one enough why spend more on another toy that will predominately sit in the garage only to be used on the occasional weekend, and to be honest, not sure if it's cause I'm getting older or because I have a Radical to throw round track the itch to own these cars has subsided to a very dull irritation, I really don't have "That Need" to own them any more :shrug:  :wheelchair:  :lol:

Now if the option was a Lamborghini Huracan in green then the 370z for sale add would be up :lol:

2014-Lamborghini-.jpg.157e29be1dcc38983abbcf0c761cbac3.jpg

But that's just a little bit outside my price range until my numbers come up on the lottery :lol:

So what shall I do? I'm not sure if I could actually not have a road going toy in the garage, but do I respray and keep if I'm gonna sell I may as well drop the price and let the next owner wrap or spray her, do I sell her and wait until something that takes my fancy comes along or maybe do the 350z pickup thing that I have a;ways thought would be a fun project. Transport is not an issue I have my works van plus access to the other works van, my wife's astra and both my daughters cars.

Now I know a lot of you will be thinking "what's he worried about" BUT i'm a bloke so I know I have to do something I just really don't know what it is but I'm not happy doing nothing.

Gotta love ya toys though ;)

IMG_0656.JPG.2ec71a554f5b8686e903b3702e04c9f8.JPG

ssupereige.thumb.jpg.34af161ebe80841acf9070e7dd950104.jpg

OK rambling over flame away :thumbs: 

Edited by Keyser

5 minutes ago, Keyser said:

:wave:

Gotta love ya toys though ;)

Presactly !!!

and exactly where I am at the mo but I don't have your skilzz so I've gone down the route of buying a toy that's finished and hopefully will go up in value rather than down (ha ha). In your position I'd be looking to renovate or scratch build a monster that would wow the crowds I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ATTAK Z said:

Presactly !!!

and exactly where I am at the mo but I don't have your skilzz so I've gone down the route of buying a toy that's finished and hopefully will go up in value rather than down (ha ha). In your position I'd be looking to renovate or scratch build a monster that would wow the crowds I think.

See that's exactly what I don't need, good ideas like that will germinate in my mind and give me even more ideas to not be able to decide between :lol:

What's really silly is, if you sit down and think O if only I had the money to be able to not work and do what I want you probably wouldn't actually do it cause with that much money you would just buy it anyway :lol:

Sell the 70, buy a muscle car for weekends. You’ll never really need to hammer it because of the track toy scratching that itch and you’d have something classic to enjoy in your leisure time as you go V8ing around the country.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jay84 said:

If this turns into a democracy, I'll like the idea of 50 pick up. I keep looking at the shape and thinking it would make a fairly decent Dakar-esque car. 

Wow, So I'm not the only one That's exactly how I see it, not a sleek speed machine but more rugged and robust looking pickup - I also thought it would be good to make a rear cage to fit over the pickup bed with a spare wheel on it - this would also neatly get round the issue or removing the rear strut brace as the cage could pin lock to the suspension turrets meaning you have the strength back when it's down.

O dear I can see where this is going, anyone want to part x a 350 on an SC 370 :lol:

• Like 2

The performance you have with the 370 is going to be hard to match at that price point, so like you say, GTR, R8 kind of budget.

Do you want to be busy with another project? Now i know you are a man that likes to "tinker", but 1700 miles is still time driving, not hidden away in the Shed creating and you are coming into that time of year when enjoying cars comes to the fore (spring/summer), so maybe you will do more miles this year in the 370 or GTR/R8 etc as other projects have been completed?

The track work is taken care of so is a sports/supercar really the route, i.e does it really need to be edge of seat type drive or, something way more GT that you will maybe enjoy driving some as its no so on the edge, bit of luxury, comfort and all the goodies but still lifts up its skirt should you require.

So what am i thinking, maybe Maser GranTourismo, AMG something, Aston etc

If you really must have ANOTHER project, do the pick up, cheap, cheerful and will allow for the being stuck in the Shed with you're creative juices flowing, but still allows for a nice motor to enjoy when takes the mood!

Edited by Jetpilot

6 hours ago, Keyser said:

Now if the option was a Lamborghini Huracan in green then the 370z for sale add would be up :lol:

2014-Lamborghini-.jpg.157e29be1dcc38983abbcf0c761cbac3.jpg

But that's just a little bit outside my price range until my numbers come up on the lottery :lol:

A man of your calibre Chris should be able to do what this fella did . . . 

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/01/honey-shrunk-lambo-mini-aventador-roadster-replica-drops-jaws/

:lol:

37 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Flog it, then keep the cash in the account until you see something you really want. You'll know what car that is when it crops up, no point leaving a depreciating asset just sat there. :)

5 hours ago, veilside z said:

Hi Chris, with such a low mileage per annum, and still wanting to feel the buzz when you want to, find a car that is going to appreciate with value over the time its parked up.

Agree on both of these points.  Car wise, I would go down Hugh's route and get some American muscle if youre doing so few miles.  Old school Mustang that needs a little bit of work and won't depreciate.  Only comes out on summer evenings/weekends.  You don't need a performance car as you've been there and done that plus have the Radical, and i reckon having an R8/GTR would give you the same dilemma again in 3 years.

Mrs K still has the 350? If so, sounds as though potentially selling the 370 is the choice between the two...... Just asking if that option has been discussed?

Otherwise, I would say get the 370 sold as you clearly have an itch for something else and given you don't really have a need for an everyday replacement wait until you see or decide on something that really gets your juicies flowing and can jump in and buy that with your bundle of readies.

Given the mods/FI on the 370 and it looks special as it is but needs a little work on its outer layer (first impressions and all that), get that done and see what interest you get?  You know the likely value of the mods if you strip it back to standard and what a repaint and replacement bits would cost, if that option is going to add more to the replacement car 'pot' ;)

Good luck :lol:

Edited by Ebized
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Keyser said:

or maybe do the 350z pickup thing that I have always thought would be a fun project.

Stop talking, do this! NOW!!....also, I call shotgun!!

On a serious side, you are very much one for the build and progress side of the project (much like me, when I used to have money!....man weddings are expensive). Personally, I'd say the 370 is done, so would sell on and get another fun project that will keep you busy and give you something to enjoy on the roads. If you get the 70 wrapped or painted....then what....new bodykit, change the wheels? Meh :)

Get a 350, power up the angle grinder, give me a call :D 

• Like 2

Your all a bunch of women :lol:

I say that as the Mrs K (now drives an Astra, Zed went ages ago for the practical 4 seat option :() basically said word for word the same thing as Dan -

10 hours ago, Ekona said:

Flog it, then keep the cash in the account until you see something you really want. You'll know what car that is when it crops up, no point leaving a depreciating asset just sat there. :)

(not a huge surprise they have the same handbags as well :lol: )

This then repeated again by Colin - I do admit it seems sensible the only down side is nothing in the garage if the urge to drive gets to me (Radical is not road legal)

Don't get me wrong guys I'm not bored with my Zed, I have not fallen out of love with her in fact the opposite every-time I open the garage door and see her I get that "O Yer" schoolboy feeling :thumbs:

and coming out of a Transit van when I do take her out I still get a big smile on my face :dance:

My problem is I'm trying to be sensible here, that's hard for a man, especially a petrol head with a dose of Zeditis! I have to do something, the wrap is getting tatty so it needs attention, I could spend the money on a re-spray but if I am going to sell I could drop the asking price half the cost of a respray and it would make the 370z a bargain for someone and I'd have more in my pocket. If I was 100% sure I definitely  want to keep her for a few more years it's a respray, depreciation Meh I've taken that hit and the low mileage is helping hold some value at least.

Another project - I could find a Zed at the £4k mark or less for a pickup project a lot less than the money I would add to "change" the Zed for something else, so I could keep the 370 and do that as well - don't forget there is still a Mini under a tarp in the garage which now my daughter won't be needing it I have very little motivation to finish, might sell that as unfinished to be honest.

Basically as per the title I'm just really indecisive about what to do but mainly because I don't want to make the wrong choice and waste my money - you can only spend it once!

Thanks for the input though gives me some perspective :thumbs:

If the 370 wasnt depreciating and you have the space id say keep it. I have done precisely zero miles on my motorbikes over the last 2 years or more, and havent had the time to lay a spanner on my project car since 2013. But ive still got them, hoping each year that "this is the year" when I can use them. Im lucky that they are actually increasing in value, other wise I would seriously have to consider selling them off. You can always buy another one! As it is, my project car has been sitting there since 2005 needing work and with values going up I have been considering selling it. But I figured having had the thing since 1996 it would be shame to get rid of it now.

• Like 1

So often you see and hear about car 'projects' taken on and for one reason or another they remain dormant - yes some well chosen ones will increase in value without work, sadly most do not and often rot away away.

My ambition was to take on a car project when I retired but the ageing process is never a friend - yes in our heads we still think we can do things like we used to but then reality sets in.....aside from any other family/job/unexpected health issues etc.

I do look back and wish I had done this and done that in my twenites  to forties and yes I put off some opportunities - how I wish I hadn't now even though money was tight at the time and a divorce did not help.  But I was fortunate career wise late in my working life after 2001 and more recently with the passing of my father, so that I can now help my sons do things (and their children) that they could not otherwise afford. 

Moral of this little piece here noting Chris's intro : "I thought as there are a lot of well balanced, sensible and mature people on this forum (sic) I would see what they had to say about my indecision", and then seeing some of the comments being offered.............. as I say to my two sons - enjoy/do things while your body lets you and don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today - you never know what is round the corner and might come out to 'bite' you.

:)

Edited by Ebized
  • Like 5

Damn Chris,that 370zed of yours is a must have if I want to upgrade to a 370 especially a SC one as they are bloody rare ... :ninja:

but this is all too confusing as i need to finish my project,then enjoy it and then sell at a good value to afford yours :wacko:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, glrnet said:

"My problem is I'm trying to be sensible here" This is an oxymoron :lol: Keep it, get the wrap off and spray it green and purple, you know you want to. Job done, end of!! Good evening:D

Who are you calling a moron??? :boxing:

O me - OK point taken :blush:

• Haha 2