OE tyres on Nismo 370?

docwra

On 1/26/2018 at 23:29, Bikeracer said:

Unfortunately Michelin don’t produce MPSS or MP4S in the Nismo Front Tyres size 246/40/19 

I have read on here that some owners on here with the later 370's/Nismos have opted for the 245/35/19 in both MPSS and MP4s and not reported any issues.  Indeed,  I ran the 35 profiles on my 370 for a while and no issues/unexpected traction lights whatsoever, and included some spirited drive-outs in Wales  ;):D

Of course, no issue on the rears keeping to the standard OEM size

1 hour ago, Ebized said:

I have read on here that some owners on here with the later 370's/Nismos have opted for the 245/35/19 in both MPSS and MP4s and not reported any issues.  Indeed,  I ran the 35 profiles on my 370 for a while and no issues/unexpected traction lights whatsoever, and included some spirited drive-outs in Wales  ;):D

Of course, no issue on the rears keeping to the standard OEM size

The issue with changing from 245/40/19 to 245/3519is the tyre wall height is reduced by 12.5mm. So that the front of the car will sit 12.5mm lower to the ground and also the fromt wheel arch gap will be an additional 12.5mm which changes the weight distribution between front and rear slightly, which may not be an issue.

Do you know whether the speedo is driven from the front or rear axle. As if it’s driven from the front axle it will be over reading by 3.5% due to the reduced circumference of the 245/35/19 tyre.

I know some owners have opted for 255/35 or 265/35/19 to try and offset the above.

ill be up against this issue when my Tyres need replacing or I just decide to change for Michelin MPSS or MP4S

As regards where the speedo takes it reading, I recall this being explained some time ago but had to research and 'PHUNKS' post on the link says it is from the rear axle sensors - so unless anyone knows different.......?

http://www.the370z.com/engine-drivetrain/100551-top-speed.html

To be honest about the speedo reading  it seems that many cars 'over-read' the true speed and from what I experienced and have read the 350/370s are no exception.  During my time with my second 350 and he 370 and now with the A45 i have used a Snooper and found the GPS speed reading on that far more reliable - i.e been past endless number of static Gatso's several mph over the 350/370 speedo reading but within the GPS reading so far without picking up a ticket. Interestingly, the A45 speedo reading (analogue and digital) is spot on with the Snooper, but no idea where it takes its reading.

I have never up-sized the tyres on any of the Zeds as for me I believe the standard tyre sizes work perfectly well for road use 24/7 and pushing the cars on my favourite country roads, but conscious that whilst fatter tyres may be great in dry conditions whilst in the wet they may be more 'testing' to my liking than I would feel comfortable with.

Not sure your measurement about the "front wheel arch gap" is correct, as the fact the height of the front end of the car on the axle must drop with a smaller diameter tyre  - would it not be half the  12.5 mm you quote?

4 hours ago, Ebized said:

As regards where the speedo takes it reading, I recall this being explained some time ago but had to research and 'PHUNKS' post on the link says it is from the rear axle sensors - so unless anyone knows different.......?

http://www.the370z.com/engine-drivetrain/100551-top-speed.html

To be honest about the speedo reading  it seems that many cars 'over-read' the true speed and from what I experienced and have read the 350/370s are no exception.  During my time with my second 350 and he 370 and now with the A45 i have used a Snooper and found the GPS speed reading on that far more reliable - i.e been past endless number of static Gatso's several mph over the 350/370 speedo reading but within the GPS reading so far without picking up a ticket. Interestingly, the A45 speedo reading (analogue and digital) is spot on with the Snooper, but no idea where it takes its reading.

I have never up-sized the tyres on any of the Zeds as for me I believe the standard tyre sizes work perfectly well for road use 24/7 and pushing the cars on my favourite country roads, but conscious that whilst fatter tyres may be great in dry conditions whilst in the wet they may be more 'testing' to my liking than I would feel comfortable with.

Not sure your measurement about the "front wheel arch gap" is correct, as the fact the height of the front end of the car on the axle must drop with a smaller diameter tyre  - would it not be half the  12.5 mm you quote?

I think that’s correct as the today diameter of the tyre is reduced by 25mm

so 12.5mm drop in height and 12.5mm increase in wheel arch gap.

As the weight of the car on the axle remain the same. The distance from the centre of the hub to the wheel arch will remain the same, hence the 12.5mm extra wheel arch gap.

Thanks for the link, if the speedo reading is taken from the rear axle can easily change from 245/40 to 245/35 without any issues.

Many thanks

Edited by Bikeracer

2 hours ago, Bikeracer said:

As the weight of the car on the axle remain the same. The distance from the centre of the hub to the wheel arch will remain the same, hence the 12.5mm extra wheel arch gap.

Are you sure?  To my mind the lesser diameter caused by the lower tyre height means the relative centre compared to the higher tyre diameter is lower and thus the wheel arch (and of course the car body itself) drops a corresponding amount. Think of a extreme example - if you put a set of 12" wheel/tyres on the front (forget the aesthetics!:lol:) the whole bodyshell would clearly be angled upwards to the rear.    Maybe it is getting too late....:surrender:

1 hour ago, Ebized said:

Are you sure?  To my mind the lesser diameter caused by the lower tyre height means the relative centre compared to the higher tyre diameter is lower and thus the wheel arch (and of course the car body itself) drops a corresponding amount. Think of a extreme example - if you put a set of 12" wheel/tyres on the front (forget the aesthetics!:lol:) the whole bodyshell would clearly be angled upwards to the rear.    Maybe it is getting too late....:surrender:

That is true the body would be angled upwards which may change the weight distribution between the front and rear somewhat, however the length of the front springs will remain the same and therefore the distance from the cantre of the hub to the wheelarch should remain the same, therefore the smaller the circumference of the wheel (inc tyre) the larger the wheel arch gap becomes between the top of the tyre and the wheelarch.

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Bikeracer

• 3 months later...

I'm not impressed with the wear on mine, or the grip levels.

Done 7000 miles since April last year and already down to 3,5mm left on the rear. Doesn't sound too bad, but now factor in that half that mileage was motorway if not more. ( I drive from Ringwood to Plymouth at least once a month )