New MOT rules for 2018

Ekona

Well, from May anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/671818/mot-inspection-manual-for-classes-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

Just a draft for now, but don't expect anything to really change. Highlights that actually affect us lot as enthusiasts:

- No more changing steering wheels for non-airbag ones. The old rule of modified cars being exempt has been updated, and specifically states that "a car fitted with rally style seats, body kit and a sports steering wheel would not be exempt". So that's a shame, unless you really want to strip your entire car just to pass MOT :lol:  You could just swap the OEM wheel back in, obvs.

- Defects are now Minor, Major and Dangerous. You can have as many minors as you like. Major and Dangerous are insta-fails.

- Low brake fluid can now be a Major (so a fail). Needs to be "substantially" below though.

- Low pad indicator lit is a Major (even if the pad has loads of meat left!).

- Sticking stuff to your windscreen rules seem to have changed. Outside of the swept area put what you like, as long as it doesn't "materially affect the view".

- It's now specifically forbidden to fit HIDs to non-HID cars :( Well, unless you fit an entire approved headlight unit (so a transplant from an OEM HID-equipped car).

- Sadly they've still not banned stretched tyres, however they are now mentioned and will be checked more closely for damage.

- Exhaust noise test is as per the current doc, i.e. can't be obviously louder than a standard car.

- CEL on is now a Major.

Now some of those may be applicable on the current test: I've cross-checked as best I can, but even I'm not infallible! Everything else is as you would expect really, these were the only things that jumped out at me as being a PITA. And of course some folks still have friendly MOT testers, so all this is just FYI.

What's ridiculous is that the new training for all testers this year is around corrosion.  In regards to the brake warning light it may also be linked to cars manufactured after a certain year. I don't have my dvsa card on me so can't check the handbook atm.

Edited by Jay84

Corrosion is less of an issues these days.  You can thank the first scrappage scheme for that. We do get the occasional Ford ka through and we do our bit to make the roads safer by writing then off.  

Disclaimer: I don't have welding equipment at my garage.  

I have had 3 06 plate Mondeo's with excess corrosion to brake pipes this month alone though, and these cars aren't worth the expense to replumb... although I let the customer decide that. Most jap cars sheath the pipe in rubber.  

Edited by Jay84