Tramlining feeling like driving on ice!!

Bikeracer

Vast improvement in handling, however Car still tramlines to a certain degree which must be caused by the rigid tyre walls of the Dunlop GP600 Tyres.

I do not experience any tramlining with my BMW M4 CP which has 245/35/20 Michelin MPSS on the front. 

Edited by Bikeracer

On 26/01/2018 at 23:13, Ekona said:

£114 is a huge rip off: No way Nissan will be paying that, and tbh neither should they. Who's to say that it wasn't fine when you left the dealership, but the roads you've been driving on have been what's put anything out of alignment? Not saying that's the case, but tbh I think you're on a hiding to nothing if you chase that money back. They may well pay it, but there's no reason they should.

Caster isn't adjustable directly on most cars tbh, so it's not even worth worrying about. How does the car drive now you've had an alignment? That's what matters, not a set of numbers on a page. Don't get me wrong, caster can affect the steering, but it's not going to cause the problems you've mentioned. Dodgy at the front will, and now you've had that sorted...

Just an quick update, as I expected Nissan UK have agreed to a full refund for the cost of the 4 wheel alignment.

They are also going to investigate the issue with the camber and offer a solution within 48 hours.

Great result.

• Thanks 1

Mines going in on wednesday, the tramlining hasnt been a major issue, it happens once a week on really bad road. I drive everyday..ill still bring it up and see if they can get me an alignment and tracking done. Overall I cant complain. 

I mean I drove my mates m3 e92... by comparison the steering was way too light and no real feedback.

350z had good feedback on heavy 19s and a nice weighty feel, not old school bmw heavy, but a gd balance. This ones similar. 

Im getting clutch checked, boot, service done full inspection, and alignment checked....

Clutch is slipping slightly already....

I bought the car for mid £20s 2017 nismo with 3000 miles ex demo..got 2 free services + breakdown. so its not gona perform like my bros 2016 porsche 911 na that cost £70,000, but is it really 3 1/2 times the car??????

Edited by GranTurismoEra
Added comment

5 hours ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Mines going in on wednesday, the tramlining hasnt been a major issue, it happens once a week on really bad road. I drive everyday..ill still bring it up and see if they can get me an alignment and tracking done. Overall I cant complain. 

I mean I drove my mates m3 e92... by comparison the steering was way too light and no real feedback.

350z had good feedback on heavy 19s and a nice weighty feel, not old school bmw heavy, but a gd balance. This ones similar. 

Im getting clutch checked, boot, service done full inspection, and alignment checked....

Clutch is slipping slightly already....

I bought the car for mid £20s 2017 nismo with 3000 miles ex demo..got 2 free services + breakdown. so its not gona perform like my bros 2016 porsche 911 na that cost £70,000, but is it really 3 1/2 times the car??????

I’ve got a 911 turbo which is absolutely awesome and 0-60mph in around 2.8secs

However I think the Nismo is probably more exciting that any normally aspirated 911 apart from the GT3 and GT3RS. There is no way a Carrera 2S or 4S is with 3 times more than the Nismo.

Mid £20s for a 2017 Nismo with 3k miles is a bargain. Bit concerning regarding clutch slipping after 3k miles or so, the original clutch on a previous modified BMW M3 was still going strong after 110k miles. I have however heard of a clutch component failing on another Nismo after 5k miles

Be interesting to see how you get on with the tramlining 

Edited by Bikeracer

Had my 370 for over 5 years now andone of the first things I noticed was the increased level of tramlining over the 350. Had numerous alignments with Sly over the years and just got used to it as a characteristic.

clutch should not be an issue, I'm still on the same one since new and it's 10 plate. Still it's not the mileage it's the driving style that will influence the clutch wear.

glad you are enjoying the nismo, the latest body styling is a real looker.

i see you are just down the road from me, I will have to keep an eye out

On 30/01/2018 at 20:32, Ekona said:

Well I'd love to know what their solution is going to be!

Good result :thumbs:

Nissan UK confirmed today that Caster Angle is outside tolerance.
Their technical department will advise my local HPC on how to adjust the Caster Angle.
Hopefully HPC will contact me in the next few days to arrange to undertake the necessary adjustments.

14 hours ago, Bikeracer said:

Nissan UK confirmed today that Caster Angle is outside tolerance.
Their technical department will advise my local HPC on how to adjust the Caster Angle.
Hopefully HPC will contact me in the next few days to arrange to undertake the necessary adjustments.

'How to' - bigger hammer? :lol:

Caster isnt adjustable unless its made to be adjustable ......... not sure how they are going to magic that one up. Also dont think that caster being slightly out of spec is going to be causing tramlining, in my experience some cars are just more susceptible to it than others, regardless of what they cost. 

1 hour ago, docwra said:

Caster isnt adjustable unless its made to be adjustable ......... not sure how they are going to magic that one up. Also dont think that caster being slightly out of spec is going to be causing tramlining, in my experience some cars are just more susceptible to it than others, regardless of what they cost. 

The Caster Angle is adjustable using shims, increasing the Caster Angle increases the stability of the vehicle. Will report back once it’s been adjusted.

On a homemade kitcar shims are perfectly acceptable, but at the end of the day its still a bodge, Id be dubious about doing it to a brand new car ......... :dry:

Ive found caster affects steering speed/quickness and feel rather than overall stability, the angle of the upright has a lot less to do with tramlining than the tyre size/inflation, toe angle or camber (in that order). Genuinely hope it sorts it but have a feeling you might be looking into it further. :thumbs: 

On 08/02/2018 at 15:10, Bikeracer said:

The Caster Angle is adjustable using shims, increasing the Caster Angle increases the stability of the vehicle. Will report back once it’s been adjusted.

The worry is that they may make the car worse than it already is but hopefully it improves the handling. Like ekona said these guys are suppose to know their car inside out. But seems like they needed a printout and calls from you to sort it. One test drive should have told them what they needed to know. 

Im.back there on 28th they said I didnt tell them during original booking, so this time we,ll see. They gave me a micra courtesy car. Worse than a jazz. The pulsar they had with 13 miles on clock had no petrol. But yet they are next to a gas station. The plastics were still on, I asked if the car had even been tested before I ended up tramlining into a guard rail...

Funny thing is they have 15 staff all in the sales room having a meeting and only 2 staff in service area with 5 customers waiting. No updates had to call to find out they had washed my car when I clearly stated no wash. Disorganized, lady had no clue regarding what a minor service entails. Lol

Ive used sly but dudes 70 miles away. Also this service was free.

On 03/02/2018 at 17:00, Bikeracer said:

I’ve got a 911 turbo which is absolutely awesome and 0-60mph in around 2.8secs

However I think the Nismo is probably more exciting that any normally aspirated 911 apart from the GT3 and GT3RS. There is no way a Carrera 2S or 4S is with 3 times more than the Nismo.

Mid £20s for a 2017 Nismo with 3k miles is a bargain. Bit concerning regarding clutch slipping after 3k miles or so, the original clutch on a previous modified BMW M3 was still going strong after 110k miles. I have however heard of a clutch component failing on another Nismo after 5k miles

Be interesting to see how you get on with the tramlining 

Ive some experience driving cars with worn slipping clutches. I drove my 350z with a high worn clutch. This just releases a smell in the cabin when youre riding it or having it engaged on a hill or in and out of engagement in traffic. So im.assuming it already slipping. But when accelerating I cant see the rev counter jumping its pulling smooth all the way. Its doesnt happen often much like the tramlining. So I have to insist they look into it.

I've only been driving 9 years so this is my second performance car after 350z. Which I had to move on.or id have been spending another £2500 on top of the 2k during 18 months ownership. 

I do realise porsches are different breed of car. You get what you pay for. Nissan clearly spent all their vouchers on the performance cars because their base cars arent as good as honda. 

Edited by GranTurismoEra

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update, took the car back to Nissan HPC today to get the Caster angle adjusted.

After 2 hours they admitted defeat and informed me that they could not get the Caster angle adjusted, so back to Nissan UK.

On 08/02/2018 at 13:48, docwra said:

Caster isnt adjustable unless its made to be adjustable .....

Well its not like Doc didnt tell you above, i really wish people would pay more notice to people in the know and take whatever Nissan or others say with a pinch of salt.

Sorry bud, but going to Nissan UK wont help one bit, if you are really not happy reject the car as there is no way they can change it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Well its not like Doc didnt tell you above, i really wish people would pay more notice to people in the know and take whatever Nissan or others say with a pinch of salt.

Sorry bud, but going to Nissan UK wont help one bit, if you are really not happy reject the car as there is no way they can change it.

Or get some adjustable bits and get a proper set up 

1 hour ago, nissanman312 said:

Or get some adjustable bits and get a proper set up 

I would be absolutely b*gg*red if after spending 35 plus grand on a car i would HAVE to spend money to get the suspension correct and within tolerance, regardless that it will improve the handling over stock set up.

Reject it, then its their problem, but whilst ever you play the nice guy they will just bend you over with varying trips down there to try this, that or other. You only have a limited time though, so act quick.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/tips-and-advice/your-new-car-rights

Edited by Jetpilot