Tramlining feeling like driving on ice!!

Bikeracer

Had my new 2018 370z Nismo for 2 weeks and have now covered 950miles.

Last weekend whilst visiting my mum I noticed the car tramlining badly on the roads near my mums house, initially thought it was the cold conditions combined with a sprinkle of salt on the roads.

Driving my mums Mercedes on the same roads was a totally different experience with no signs of tramlining etc.

Back on the motorway the Nismo felt fine.

Aldo during the past few days been feeling the Car trampling again on certain roads. At times it feels like driving on ice with the sensation of all 4 wheels moving about at times.

Going to get the oil & filter changed at my local Nissan HPC Centre next week once the car has covered 1200miles or so, may also ask them to check the alignment and geometry of the car in case it has left the factory with settings outside tolerance etc

Anyone else experienced something similar on their Nismo

Have you checked for the removal of the transport stops in the springs yet?

Other than that, agreed check the alignment. However, a 370 is always going to feel different from a Merc (which one?!), so don’t worry too much about them riding the road differently. 

From my 370 experience it could be the tyres.  I found the Bridgestones that were fitted new were the worst and then changed to Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta which virtually eliminated the issue (and were great fun ;)), but the Michelin Pilot Sport were by far the best performance tyre for the car but I did notice road noise on surfaces I was familiar with became more noticeable but tramlining hardly ever manifested itself. 

You might want to try altering the toe-in to see if that helps when you have the alignment done.

1 hour ago, Bikeracer said:

Maybe only fitted to the 2018 Nismo then, if the previous ones had Bridgestones

Most likely. I had the alignment done on mine 6 months after I bough it as I had booked a track day and it was way out so might be worth checking. Otherwise I’ve had no problems with it at all.

Mine tramlines a bit too, calling in on monday I got a few bullet points for them to work on, 

Bridgestones suck, nearly lost it yesterday, took me half a second to react, might get a new set, 

The tramlining is only happening on bad roads, the car as whole is less stable then my 350, I had tramlining on a406 yesterday that was bad, it goes away after 10 seconds....

Plus need an oil change

On 20/01/2018 at 21:39, GranTurismoEra said:

Mine tramlines a bit too, calling in on monday I got a few bullet points for them to work on, 

Bridgestones suck, nearly lost it yesterday, took me half a second to react, might get a new set, 

The tramlining is only happening on bad roads, the car as whole is less stable then my 350, I had tramlining on a406 yesterday that was bad, it goes away after 10 seconds....

Plus need an oil change

Sounds similar to mine howeve mine is in Dunlop SportMaxx GT600

Just booked the car in to my local HPC to check over due to tramlining and also an oil & filter change now the car has done 1260miles.

HPC informed me that they could not check the 4 wheel alignment unless I paid £120 to get the 4 wheel alignment done as they said Nissan would not cover under warranty

Going to call Nissan UK as the car is only 2 weeks old.

Oil/filter change is your choice on the Nismo, rather than specified by Nissan?  Modern oils/filters make that unnecessary these days.........took me time to get my head round that even wth the current car pushing out the bhp it does from 2 litres.

If so you are paying out for that as well a relatively high fee for the alignment.

Personally I would be taking the car to a good Zed indy if you want the tracking etc checked - seeing you are in Surrey, Kaizer Motors of Abbey Motorsort would be my choice  as they have the best Hunter systems and know the cars better than most HPC centres that I would just use for scheduled servicing or warranty work.

Really doubt you would get any recompense from Nissan to do an alignment.  

You mention changing tyres and that is where your money might be better spent and take the advice of Kaizer/Abbey on set up.  My current set of tyres (MPSS) on the '45 and which I had on the 370 are brilliant - both fitted etc at Kaizer and for me worth the trip from the sourth coast.  

But, there are always going to be some road surfaces where tramlining might be noticed - certainly more of a trait with the 370s compared to the 350s from the feedback on here.

1 hour ago, nissanjuke said:

To me that's bad as it is a new car, how does it feel now and have you been in touch with Nissan  :thumbs:

Haven’t had any adjustments made yet.

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow for inspection and oil & filter change. Dealer can’t fit me in for 4 wheel alignment until next Wednesday.

Will then hopefully claim back the cost of the 4 wheel alignment from Nissan if the dealer would agree to undertake the work as a warranty claim.

• Like 1

Took the car to my local Nissan HPC for and oil & filter replacement after the initial 1200miles run in plus 4 wheel alignment. Cost of 4 wheel alignment was £114 which I’m hopefully going to claim back from Nissan.

The technical at the dealer informed me that he could not adjust the castor as there isn’t an adjustment however thought that is may be adjustable using washers/spacers. Anyone know how to adjust the castor and what is the implications of this outside manufacturers specification even though the car is only 3 weeks old?

Ive asked Nissan UK the question and await their response

46_E67_DDA-_B378-43_C8-9_E06-48_A0122832

4 hours ago, nissanjuke said:

To me Nissan is out of line here, pardon the pun, it is a high-performance car, and all this should have been checked for you as it affects the driving of the car.

try citizens advice bureau for legal help. Best of luck mate:thumbs:

Dissapointing, will see what Nissan come back with.

Previoisly rejected my BMW M4 CP due to quality issues, so if Nissan don’t play ball and I have further issues with the Car Nissan will be having it back 

£114 is a huge rip off: No way Nissan will be paying that, and tbh neither should they. Who's to say that it wasn't fine when you left the dealership, but the roads you've been driving on have been what's put anything out of alignment? Not saying that's the case, but tbh I think you're on a hiding to nothing if you chase that money back. They may well pay it, but there's no reason they should.

Caster isn't adjustable directly on most cars tbh, so it's not even worth worrying about. How does the car drive now you've had an alignment? That's what matters, not a set of numbers on a page. Don't get me wrong, caster can affect the steering, but it's not going to cause the problems you've mentioned. Dodgy at the front will, and now you've had that sorted...