Changing gear issue! Really stiff in every gear all of a sudden

Lifesabeach26

Hello all,

Had my Zed for 2-3 months now and it’s been great through the winter as my daily. However, this morning I couldn’t get it into first when the car was on, I eventually did with a bit of wiggling and force. I had issues through all gears all the way to work - 5 Miles.

Never had this before - it isn’t the cold because it’s been the same all day and was fine through Xmas. When the car is off it flies through the gears with no issues - with and without the clutch in.

Im not hugely technical when it comes to cars - had a friend at work look at it and he says the hydraulic fluid is a little dark but no leaks. He’s asked me to check the clutch rod goes in and out under the car when the clutch is pressed in. Any other thoughts though please? Anyone had the same issue / am I okay to drive the car or not? (It’s my daily)

thanks

kieran 

New update - sadly a bad update

Tried again the morning, cannot get into gear whilst the car has started, so I put it into gear with the car off and reversed off my drive - cannot shift into 1st at all. So car off into first and then start the car, the car nearly stalled with my clutch in in first starting up and if I take my foot off the brake it slowly pulls the car (with the clutch in) again cannot change gear at all now. Tried a few different things to get more info - put it in first (with car off) tried to turn the ignition on and it made a horrible screech noise so I didn’t want to do anything else. Managed to park the car as when I reversed off I made sure I wasn’t in anyone’s way and ordered a taxi. Bad start to today - any other help would be great 

I had a look at the fluid yesterday and it is quite dark. Photo attached

Clutch seems the same as before - However it is a very stiff clutch anyway, the clutch was changed for a racing clutch from the previous owner .... unfortunately I can’t remember what it’s called 

7B6951F2-0331-4911-BE7A-847382D35A24.jpeg

I would give that a flush and see how that improves things, if no improvement I would be looking at the either the slave cylinder or the clutch itself, sounds like it is not fully disengaging.

As @ZMANALEX  has said they can have issues, AFAIK they do upgrades for both the DE and HR although a lot of the time the problem goes if you just swap it out for a good unit and upgrade to a braided line.

More recently I have heard of master cylinders being the issue but that is less common than the slave cylinder problems.

Hi mate,

I had a similar issue to what you are experiencing.

Gradually my gear changes were getting stiffer and stiffer, however I just put it down to it being common on the zed.

Then the clutch pedal dropped to the floor coming back from a trip to Newcastle and there was no resistance at all.

Managed to pull over and my first thought was a failed slave cylinder.

Got it recovered, looked underneath and I could see that the slave cylinder push rod had slipped from the release arm.

Removed the gearbox and it turned out where the clutch release arm pivots had failed and bent. replaced the release arm fitted a new slave also, and all ok.

Now the gear changes are significantly smoother.

The release arm had been gradually bending causing the stiffer changes until it eventually failed.

As per advice above, I would check the slave first and if there is no issue there then you may have to remove the box to check further.

I read later that upgraded clutches can put extra stress on the release arm and replacing the release arm or checking it when doing the clutch is often over looked, even if you are just fitting an OEM clutch.

Edited by Rob332

So next steps for me are to jack it up and check the space cylinder under the car? I have been informed it was replaced about a year ago with a new line and it’s external. So jack it up, get someone to press the clutch and just monitor the movement?

i appreciate all your help so far guys  

If the slave cylinder has been replaced and there are no leaks, I would suggest the next step would be to remove the gearbox.

It won't hurt having a look under the car for anything obvious first, but It appears your issue lies in the area around the clutch / flywheel where you can only really see  if the gearbox is removed.

If you're not mechanically minded you may wish to get a garage to look at it, as from the info you have provided it doesn't seem to be a DIY job.

Its going to be approx. 4 hours labour to remove and refit the gearbox. Then depending on what the issue is maybe an extra hour.

I hope you manage to get it sorted soon mate. :thumbs:

2 hours ago, zedz said:

I haven't read all of the above,

but could it be lack of gearbox oil?

Could be. Or even the quality of the oil that has been put in previously.:scare:

Edited by Rob332

22 hours ago, zedz said:

Alas, gearbox oil does tend to get overlooked,

perhaps because it is not in your face when you open the bonnet like the engine oil dipstick is.

so the problem could be an easy fix.

I wouldn't suggest it would be an easy fix if lack of oil has caused the fault. You would be looking at an overhaul or new gearbox based on the symptoms described by the op.

Hey guys,

Just to confirm, I had it collected £50 for recovery so not too bad.

The mechanic bled the hydraulic fluid and replaced it and it’s solved the issue. He’s asked me to keep an eye out.

Could be air in the fluid - just concerned about how it got in the fluid

Thank you for your help