118mph and suspended sentence?

coldel

It means they are sentenced to serve that time in prison but they don`t actually have to go to prison. The sentence is suspended for a set period of time, usually 12 months or 18 months, etc. and unless they get into trouble again within that period they wont serve any of the sentence. If they do get into trouble they can be sent to prison to serve this original sentence.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andy_Muxlow said:

A very light sentence really. in my opinion not such a good rider also as it didn't look like a nasty bend either. but as above have said there is a time and a place for this stuff!

Difficult to call to make, i agree the corner looked pretty benign but anything could have unsettled the bike as he went to pitch it in and it just wouldnt turn and judging by his cam he didnt look into the corner and was looking straight on, you tend to follow where your eyes are looking. 

A mate of mine had a very similar crash, he was out on the left and hit some gravel and the front just started to wash as he leaned in, his natural reaction was to just get it upright which sent him straight on.

Very lucky fella though, as Ekona says, by the grace of god!

2 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Difficult to call to make, i agree the corner looked pretty benign but anything could have unsettled the bike as he went to pitch it in and it just wouldnt turn and judging by his cam he didnt look into the corner and was looking straight on, you tend to follow where your eyes are looking. 

A mate of mine had a very similar crash, he was out on the left and hit some gravel and the front just started to wash as he leaned in, his natural reaction was to just get it upright which sent him straight on.

Very lucky fella though, as Ekona says, by the grace of god!

So very true buddy.

Yes, i'm sure that raised his brow somewhat. Hopefully - and it probably will -  it'll make him think twice in the future about doing ridiculous speeds on a country road like that. I've done some stupid things in my life while driving and whilst it was never quite in the caliber of the young man in the VT, it definitely made me think about what a c**k i was. 

Edited by Rock_Steady

As a biker, from watching that clip, my opinion is that regardless of what speed he was doing, the guy is not a very good rider. There's a lot of hazards he should have taken into account on that short clip and reduced his speed accordingly. Traffic, the cross roads, all those SLOW markings. Personally id be doing a speed where I can stop in time if I need to. You never know what idiot drivers are around.

The usual cause of accidents like this, is that the biker comes into the bend hard, realises the bend is sharper than they expected and panic brakes. Braking on a leant over bike has the effect of standing the bike straight up. So the only direction you will go is through the hedge. The ironic thing is, if the biker just kept their cool and leaned the bike over further, and managed the throttle, they could have made it around the bend perfectly fine. Ive seen this happen loads of times, especially happens when your racing against a mate, trying to catchup and let yourself get carried away and overcook things. However, looking at the video, the bend is so mild its virtually not a bend. On the face of it (legalities aside) 118mph shouldnt be a problem. However the rider seems to make no attempt at all to lean over. He`s on the middle white lines nearly and just goes straight off the road. Very strange. In wet conditions you could get tyre slipping on the white lines which could throw you off, but its a sunny July day. So who knows what actually happened, maybe some mechanical issue? From the longer clips online, the guy apparently had no idea what road he was on, or where he was, so he may just got distracted and overcooked it.

Sentence wise, there does seem to be a huge variation in what judges give out. Had the biker been coming the other way and did the same thing he could have hit a car full of kids coming the other way etc. As it was, theres no doubt really he was street racing as you have the video evidence of him racing the other guy and looking at the longer clips online, they both do some very questionable overtaking earlier. Personally I think the sentence or penalty should have been more from the way they were riding.

As a side note, its making me think about NOT wearing my helmet cam when im out on my bike now! 

1. Crap rider - as Stu says there are a lot of hazards there and you can read what the road is going to do, not backing off suggests he didnt have any idea of his own ability. 
2. Meh, I dont know that sticking him away for 8 months would do anyone any favours and it certainly wouldnt be in line with the pointless penalties you see on Police Interceptors etc. A very large fine would make a lot more sense to me.