The worst day

Ekona

Shocking news and just the worst turn of events/timing. Are we all just hear to live, work, buy, sell and die........ hopefully not ay.

He would want you both to eat, sleep when need be and not worry too much. Yes easier said than done I'm sure. Be strong and do what can be done for his left ones as I'm sure you'll do. 

What we think is important day to day, really isn't if you step back for a moment and think what you have and not what items you haven't. 

• Like 1

Cheers G. I'm going to pick Jo up tomorrow from Rob's, and I've decided to make a detour to see the road where it happened. I know it sounds odd, but I just have to see the place for myself. Not to lay flowers or anything, and I may not even stop, but I just have the urge to go there. I won't be telling anyone else I've been there though, as I'm not sure they need to know really.

Is that too weird? I mean, I'm going anyway, just wondering.

Not weird for me mate, I'm pretty sure I'd do the same thing.  High emotions induce actions that sometimes surprise you but at the end of the day it may give you an emotional "closeness" that you need to feel.  Don't be surprised if you HAVE to stop because of the emotions that you will feel.  Consider telling  Jo though. Take care.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. You lot are genuinely amazing people.

I drove the road today. It’s like every other NSL country road anywhere, and there wasn’t a single extra mark anywhere to see where the accident happened. There’s nothing special about any of it: no super tight corners, no blind crests, no hidden junctions. Nothing. I’d drive that at 60 or more every day of the week and not bat an eyelid. It just makes everything seem so much more random. I don’t get it, I just don’t.

The Police gave Rob a guidebook on how to deal with death after a car accident, from both practical (funeral arrangements, coroner courts etc) and mental (how to cope with loss etc) views. Helpful yes, but the front cover is boldly emblazoned with the BRAKE logo as I guess they sponsor it. Now maybe it’s just me, but I find that to be the single most distasteful thing I’ve ever seen in my life. By all means pop a logo inside somewhere, but on the front cover taking up 1/3rd of it?! Utterly repulsive. Even Rob, who is hiding her obvious pain with black humour, just said to the police officer who gave it to her “Are you f***ing kidding me? I really don’t need to told to brake right now!” whilst almost laughing at the insensitivity of it. I rarely complain about things, but this might just give me cause to do so. Or am I overreacting? 

No way, not over reacting at all.  As a coping with loss pamphlet it is totally inappropriate. Sponsoring it is one thing but I don't think the logo should be there at all.  Fine print on the back maybe. A big logo should be used on educational pamphlets at community centres etc. I think you did the right thing driving the road, even if it didn't answer any questions for you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekona said:

I drove the road today. It’s like every other NSL country road anywhere, and there wasn’t a single extra mark anywhere to see where the accident happened. There’s nothing special about any of it: no super tight corners, no blind crests, no hidden junctions. Nothing. I’d drive that at 60 or more every day of the week and not bat an eyelid. It just makes everything seem so much more random. I don’t get it, I just don’t.

Possibility of something running out on the road and swerving to avoid caused the accident? 

And no you not over reacting on the logo, pretty insensitive IMO, prob thought up by some desk jockey who has never been in this situation or even considered putting themselves in this situation. I think I would be writing to someone about it. 

Edited by DoogyRev
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, DoogyRev said:

Possibility of something running out on the road and swerving to avoid caused the accident?

Nope, just a couple of cottages and about three or four farms, but they're all set back or really well sighted. Ultimately unless the autopsy shows heart attack it really has to be driver error. I hate him for being that careless, but at the same time I'd have driven it the exact same way I assume he did.

The more I look at that logo on that guide, the angrier I get. When I've calmed down and can compose something reasonable I think I will. I just don't get who thought that was a good idea to do!

37 minutes ago, DoogyRev said:

And no you not over reacting on the logo, pretty insensitive IMO, prob thought up by some desk jockey who has never been in this situation or even considered putting themselves in this situation. I think I would be writing to someone about it. 

Just what i was thinking to be honest. You never know what was in front of him at the time and stuff.

• Like 1

That logo was/is a bit over the top. Its good that you drove the route. There could have been a number of factors that caused the accident. Try not to beat yourself up over it. I wish you all the best. Mike.

• Like 1

Jeez this is heartbreaking. Dreadful, thoughts are with you guys.

Like Jetpilot said though, from your point of view, you need to continue to go to work as it will give to some kind of break from this. When youre on your own its worse, and like youve done, vent your feelings here if need be.

Stay strong.

• Like 1

Maybe it was a heart attack, otherwise it does seem strange.  That logo is the fecking pits!!! It's as if Brake said to them "our logo on the front or no money" and all it needed was a line at the bottom something like "suported by Brake" or such like. :rant:

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018 at 18:34, Ekona said:

Found a picture, it’s the middle green one. Okay, so not as big a logo as I remembered, but I still say it’s bad taste. 

A7966860-25CA-4298-ABBB-A7207D54568A.jpeg.68579c7105ea235323635126e206b713.jpeg

You might think it's bad taste, but that charity do a lot for families which find themselves in this situation. This is one of the reasons my Wife and I raised money for them last year when we did Tough Mudder. If you look beyond the name and some of the policies that I don't agree with, they offer fantastic and invaluable support for those who need it following a road related death.

Not everyone has a large or good support network, so advertising this service isn't distasteful to me.

The sad reason I know so much about this is that my Brother in Law, whom lived with us for the last 5 years, was killed on his motorbike last year - 30 years old. A car pulled out in front of him... He has left a gigantic hole in our lives and especially his 7 year old Daughter's. Without charities like Brake, there are some families that would have no support through this. It's difficult to comprehend how much your life is impacted until something like this happens to you. I'm so sorry you are experiencing this Dan as I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2018 at 17:39, Ekona said:

Thanks guys. You lot are genuinely amazing people.

The Police gave Rob a guidebook on how to deal with death after a car accident, from both practical (funeral arrangements, coroner courts etc) and mental (how to cope with loss etc) views. Helpful yes, but the front cover is boldly emblazoned with the BRAKE logo as I guess they sponsor it. Now maybe it’s just me, but I find that to be the single most distasteful thing I’ve ever seen in my life. By all means pop a logo inside somewhere, but on the front cover taking up 1/3rd of it?! Utterly repulsive. Even Rob, who is hiding her obvious pain with black humour, just said to the police officer who gave it to her “Are you f***ing kidding me? I really don’t need to told to brake right now!” whilst almost laughing at the insensitivity of it. I rarely complain about things, but this might just give me cause to do so. Or am I overreacting? 

When I had my smash in the black car I couldn't get my head round how it happened on a road I had driven a million times and in the same manner ...brisk granted but not reckless. I have driven it since and still don't know how I managed it :wacko: sometimes these things just happen reading your story makes me realise just how bloody lucky I was and how it would of impacted lives if things had been different.

Try not to rack your brains to much pal it will wear you down mentally :console: 

• Like 1

Spoke to the farmer who was first on the scene yesterday, and he said that Andrew was already dead by the time he got there (30 secs max after hearing the bang). Sounds very much like he died on impact, which is about as much as anyone can ask for in these situations I think. 

Still no news on when we’ll get him back for the funeral. Hopefully soon so we can start moving on.