zedz

Number plate exposure on line

46 posts in this topic

Hi guys

I just wondered, how do you feel about having your number plate exposed for all to see online and or on a forum?

If you have a particularly nice private number plate which refers specifically to you, you might want others to see it.

It is evident that some people obviously don't mind, but I myself am a bit concerned.

How would you feel about putting yours up?

zedz

There are risks with cloning and things like that, but infractions can be overturned of your car doesn't look exactly like the accused car. People see your plates every day on the road so I leave mine on in pictures. But I live and let live those who choose to black then out. 

Yes, your numberplate can be seen in public when and wherever you go with it,

it's just that forums can be accessed by anyone from their locality to worldwide, that means more unscrupulous and prying people can access many of your details readily without you knowing.

I would like not to block out my reg and or private numbers but feel uncomfortable and putting myself at risk by doing it. 

If an individual fears nothing from having their privacy invaded or exposed then ok, but there are many who stay as private as possible, otherwise they feel their security is compromised.

I think a lot of this problem comes from freedom of access to databases which are held on all individuals and can be accessed by anyone

Just my thoughts, not a judgement.

NB: I still do not get notifications of replies.

zedz

• Like 1

Yeah there's a lot of info out there these days.  My reg is on facebook and everything :lol:

What's the worst that can happen? :shrug:

When you advertise your car for sale and attach images the number plate shows, so what is the difference?

I have never really got why peeps blank out there registration number.

I was on facebook some years back, what unsettled me was that people who I did not know very well at clubs I go to were spouting all kinds of personal things about me and my private life, without me even telling them I was on Facebook,  some were even making arbitrary judgements about me.

I felt only project what you don't mind the world knowing and twisting into something else, so I took the pictures off and closed it down.

2 minutes ago, ZMANALEX said:

What's the worst that can happen? :shrug:

When you advertise your car for sale and attach images the number plate shows, so what is the difference?

I have never really got why peeps blank out there registration number.

Yes, I understand that, with the example you give, the car would be sold on and the reg would not apply to you anymore.

perhaps its because I have had so many problems being victimised by the woman who lives next door to me that anything she knows about me she will use somehow to cause me pain and suffering.

I could give you so many examples of it.

I feel I have to live under a cloak from these experiences, so I don't feel so carefree as you do perhaps.

All someone can tell from your reg is if the car is taxed and MoT'd, it's irrelevant really. I'm also not concerned about the car being cloned because if someone wants to clone a car, they'll find a way.

Tinfoil hat stuff.

I blanked mine out on my for sale ads as it just makes the pictures look a bit prettier is all :D:lol:

Can be quite useful if you are researching buying a car. A friend of mine was about to pull the trigger on a car once and through the powers of google found the car on an owners forum with the previous owner asking about how best to repair the car after a very major accident. The owner had even thoughtfully uploaded pictures showing the car`s damage etc. all stuff the seller hadnt told my friend.

I hear what you are all saying, in the normal course of events I would agree with you that 'what harm can be done' but I suffer from experiences whereby I am as covert about everything I do as I can be.

I am plagued by vicious and malicious next-door neighbours who damage my property and report me to all and sundry to cause me trouble.

My point is, I am not the only person to suffer in this way, so by putting your reg up your perpetrators could recognise your posts and then read through all of them to find information they can use against you.

But its the same as everything. IG, FB, all social media formats where people share ridiculous amounts of information about themselves then complain if someone knows something about them that they didnt want them to know - number plates are tip of the iceberg. Its a public space, if you have shared something publicly the public will be able to find it.

Watch this for fun

• Like 1

I've got in more trouble through facebook than I'd care to admit, which is why I don't list my job or real dob. It doesn't help that the wife goes through it with a fine tooth comb though, which is where most of the trouble comes from. 

When I worked for a large Supermarket chain with blue writing and 5 letters, I saw loads of people getting disciplined on what they wrote on FB, from skyving work to slagging off the company. 

Never had any number plate related issues though. A colleague of mine had his cloned and drove on a pedestrianised zone in a town centre picking up ladies of the night. He's not on any forums or facebook, someone just saw his car in a carpark. He had it overturned as he had a sticker on his rear window, and the cctv footage didn't show the sticker.

Edited by Jay84

It's the same when you park your car in a car park or even at home, if someone is going to clone your number plate, it's going to happen any where at any time, there's not much you can do to stop it. If people lived in a 'what if this happens?' world, no one would have fun. As Coldel and Jay84 said above, people's information, especially in this era of social media, there's not much that goes unnoticed.

43 minutes ago, coldel said:

But its the same as everything. IG, FB, all social media formats where people share ridiculous amounts of information about themselves then complain if someone knows something about them that they didnt want them to know - number plates are tip of the iceberg. Its a public space, if you have shared something publicly the public will be able to find it.

Watch this for fun

Yeah! good example.

Sickening and adopted by some really sick people and control fanatics.

This is what I mean, the freedom of information act has gone way too far.

I was completely without words when I moved in here, when the woman next door got nasty with me for the first time, she blurted out profanities and factual statements all mixed together which included; how much I paid for my home, where I got my mortgage from, how much it was for, my name in full which is on the deeds and many other things.

The information she had was not so worrying but how she found it, where she found it and what she was going to do with it was very worrying, knowing what a sick mind she has.

If I go back to reg numbers, she reports me to the police about my private reg numbers if she feels the spacing is not to her satisfaction.

Wow, what a nutter. Zoopla has house prices and how much they sold for on line, not sure about the rest though. Sounds like sour grapes to me. 

• Like 1

You have probably tried but starting over with neighbour? Be the bigger man and offer the olive branch, invite over, cook some nice food, explain about your passion for cars, ask about hers etc. Territories i.e. cars, houses etc. tend to create confrontational behaviour but there is not much worse than having a disruptive neighbour in terms of wanting a peaceful life at home. Good luck with it all in any case as said its a nightmare if you have someone whose only mission in life is to ruin yours.

But yes back on topic, there is information that has always been available its just easier now to get it online than have to say wander down to a central library or such. But people post far too much information online nowadays birthdays, anniversaries, location (posting live holiday photos up = advert for empty house), brothers, sisters, family, property, high value items, jobs, schooling everything! Its mostly all voluntary as well. 

46 minutes ago, zedz said:

If I go back to reg numbers, she reports me to the police about my private reg numbers if she feels the spacing is not to her satisfaction.

Keep it legal and you'll be fine! :)

Not bothered about who sees my private plate (PA03DDY), life's too short and there are more important things to be worried about. 

Sometimes I blank my plate, sometimes I don’t. If it’s a for sale post I get people blanking it but also buyers want to check hpi and insurance etc. I have a private plate and wouldn’t bother me too much unless I was selling the car. 

Sometimes good to blank out when selling as it forces the potential buyer to contact you for the plate so they can run it through all the various checks. When you reply you can put in some chatter about the car and try and hook them ;)

32 minutes ago, coldel said:

Sometimes good to blank out when selling as it forces the potential buyer to contact you for the plate so they can run it through all the various checks. When you reply you can put in some chatter about the car and try and hook them ;)

Thought you’d never ask, mines for sale, would you like a viewing? :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Be the bigger man and offer the olive branch, invite over, cook some nice food,

Just to put this in perspective.

They are alcoholics, she is desperate to obtain money to satisfy her dreams, green eye is her problem, their game is to create an incident so they can sue me for money.

They have tried this several times, one of their ploys was for both of them to walk onto my drive and assault me then tell the police I assaulted them, two days later I had to appear in court to face a private summons and being sued for £5.000 plus £3.000 costs.

Fortunately, I have cctv surveillance which confirms the above, she raked her fingernails down my face and into my eyes, I nearly lost my eyesight, they got away with assaulting me because he punched her in the face when missing me.

Would you really ask them in for coffee?

Gosh, I don't like my neighbour but things aren't that bad. Sounds like an awful situation to be in. They'd probably sue for food poisoning if you invited them for dinner. 

• Haha 2

There's more to these stories than you're letting on ;)

Would the CCTV not have shown him punching her along with attempting to assault you? Seems odd?

In any case, the best thing to do is collate a diary of the issues and keep evidence with it. If anything to present in the instance they do try anything else on with you. Or if you like you can present it as a case for ongoing harassment. 

• Like 1