NHS

Jetpilot

So i am sure we have all heard of the recent problems with non emergency operations and maybe i am a naive, but how is any extra funding going to help, we havent got the staff, beds, operating theatres or time, we cant make the days longer, so how does the extra funding called for help?

My wife is a senior accountant within the nhs and I have to listen to her angry rants every evening when she gets home as she is extremely passionate about the nhs so from what little I take in, I know that sounds bad but I have had to listen to this for the last 20 years any way I digress from what I take in it's a case of bottlenecks caused by a lack of money for instance in a lot of cases the wards are there the beds are there but if you don't have the funding for the staff you can't put people in them ,if you don't have funding for the drugs to treat people then you can't treat them at the end of the day it's all about a lack of money

:rant:

Ok, so money is the issue (i stand corrected), although perhaps like Ekona, its going to need a lot more than just money i think.

Personally i think this goes above party politics, lets face it, non of them have got it right during their time in government, they all need to sit down and agree on a plan imho.

Edited by Jetpilot

There is a good article on the BBC at the moment, the basic summary is:

Demand for A&E rising each year and has been for a long time

Ageing population 

Costs more to care for older people than younger people

Social Care spending reduced by Tories for older people

UK spends less on health vs EU average as a % of GDP

In terms of killer charts, appreciate the economy health does dictate how much increase is applied to health spend but there seems to be an all too familiar trend here from a political perspective!

_99474763_nhs_spending-nc.png.2a15aa1502fe0d65fbcf5f81f554033f.png

22 hours ago, Ekona said:

I’d use it to close the NHS down and start again from scratch. No one will ever be able to fix what is so fundamentally broken, regardless of money thrown at it. We’re way past fixing now.

You really don't see it ??? This is being done on purpose so they can do exactly that...and then privatise it so that they can bring in an american style healthcare system where you have to pay for everything.

No, I don't see that at all. Then again, I don't necessarily see privatisation as a bad thing.

I've said it before, but we should be charging people for missed GP appointments, and we definitely shouldn't be providing things like paracetemol, ibuprofen, cosmetic surgery, gender reassignment and PReP on the NHS. Now I don't disagree that perhaps in the long term it may well be cheaper to do some of those latter things, nor do I disagree that in a perfect world with unlimited money they should all be provided. But right now, it's not workable.

And yeah, I appreciate it's a drop in the ocean, but it's about changing perception that the NHS should cover everything for everyone all the time. Means test it if you want, I'm okay with that.