CAT Driver Training Days 2018 - Member Offers

Stutopia

Welcome to 2018!

Last year the club got together with CAT Driver Training and put forward some options for Driver Training at the superb Millbrook facility. Having attended each of the three days on offer last year,  I can honestly say they were all great learning opportunities and tremendous fun. In the unlikely event you don’t believe me, spend a few minutes reading some of the glowing feedback from customers at Trustpilot here and I bet one or two of the other attendees might even chime in with some praise too. Happily, CAT are on-board for 2018 to offer us the same cracking days, as well as something new. For the uninitiated, here’s some background on CAT and the days that are on offer to our club members.

CAT Driver Training is run by Colin and Jo Hoad. Colin used to work for a leading motor manufacturer in the UK as a Vehicle Evaluator and Driver Trainer and has gained extensive experience and qualifications in driver instruction (not to mention development work on our very own 350Z for Europe). Colin is also certificated to instruct at Millbrook, his life has been spent working with his passion; motor cars - from racing Minis to the race preparation of performance cars. He has much experience of vehicles on both road and track and brings a very different approach to driver enjoyment.

If you don’t know the scale and beauty of the Millbrook site, here's just a part of it, inside the high speed circuit.

Aerial view over the Millbrook Proving Ground vehicle development and test track in Bedfordshire.jpg

And the view you will be faced with when lining up the mile straight.

Millbrook-Mile-Straight.jpg

Driver Training Days

1) Performance Driver Track Day

An action-packed day run by CAT Driver Training Ltd at Millbrook Proving Ground. The day is a fast-moving experience for 6 owners and their cars to introduce the secrets of performance driving. It is designed to be informative, exciting and fun. The group size is purposefully kept small so that the maximum can be obtained from the day in a highly-personalised environment. There is access to the 5 unique circuits at the renowned Millbrook Proving Ground, a venue that is not normally accessible for 'track days' and the general public.

Activities designed for the different circuits are:

• Learn threshold braking from high speed on the Mile Straight
  • High speed driving, potentially to the maximum of your car, on the banked circuit of the High-Speed Circuit
  • Drive the demanding Alpine Route circuit with its hills, and variety of corners from hairpins to long and sweeping
  • Take on the tight, twisty and challenging Handling Circuit
  • Put a car through its paces on the open spaces of the Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron

An instructor will accompany you on all the circuits, and the objective is to teach you how to get the best from your car and develop your performance driving skills in a controlled environment and at a pace you are comfortable with. Short presentations in vehicle dynamics will help you to understand the relationship between driver input and vehicle balance and control. From this comes the appreciation of how to safely drive your vehicle at grip limit within the controlled confines of a track environment. At the end of the day, your new-found skills can be put to the test in a timed shoot out around a gymkhana-style course laid out on the Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron. Though this is 'Track Day' in name the skills learned and developed during the session will stand you in good stead on the road as well. Drivers looking to improve their all-round ability will benefit as much as those want to shave seconds off lap times.

Included in the day are:

• Professional in car tuition
  • Access to 5 unique circuits at Millbrook Proving Ground
  • Lunch and refreshments during the day
  • Timed end of day shoot-out
  • Full emergency services on hand all day
  • 1 hour 40 minutes driving time with your personal instructor
  • Link to the CAT site here 

Performance Driver 'Track' Day Schedule 

• 08:30-09:15    Coffee, Introduction, Licence Check, Scrutineering, Safety Briefing & Objectives of the Day
  • 09:30-09:35    Drive to Circuits
  • 09:30-11:00    Mile Straight
  • 11:00-11:50    High Speed Circuit
  • 11:50-13:15    Handling Circuit
  • 13:15-14:00    Lunch
  • 14:00-15:00    Alpine Route
  • 15:00-15:45    Understeer/Oversteer
  • 15:45-16:45    Gymkhana timed Shoot Out on the Steering Pad/Mile Straight Apron
  • 16:55               Presentation & Debrief and any questions

Timings & Circuit order may be subject to change on the day depending on circuit activity.

Member Prices

• 3 participating members = £450 pp
  • 4 participating members = £435 pp
  • 6 participating members = £415 pp

2) Cornering Masterclass Day

Enjoyed the Performance Driver 'Track' Day and would like to progress to the next stage advancing your skills further? Or perhaps you're not getting the most from your track days, and would like to hone your performance driving skills in a safe and challenging environment? Through presentations and demonstrations in our cars, and nurtured training sessions in your car our instructors will guide you through a structured, fun and exciting training experience, dissecting the cornering process to a professional level. Polarised training designed to galvanise the relationship between minimised driver input and vehicle stability, with presentations in advanced vehicle dynamics and motor industry exercises designed to challenge both you and your car.

A full day experience for you and your car:

• Access to your favourite circuits
  • Professional motor industry training exercises
  • Lunch and refreshments throughout the day
  • Exclusive facilities
  • 1 hours 40 mins driving time with your personal instructor

Member Prices

3) Drifting & Over Grip Limit Handling

Learn the secrets of over limit handling using your car and our Caterham 7. A 5 ½ hour experience for 4 owners covering the building blocks of vehicle control at grip limit. A fast-moving sideways experience. Designed to build on the skills learnt on the Performance and Cornering Masterclass club days or as an introduction to the techniques of over grip limit driving for the novice, our instructors will tailor the training to your level of experience. Understand and practice the building blocks of over grip limit driving. It is not just nailing the accelerator and relying on instinct. A drift is the culmination of many core skills polarized into one extreme exercise. All explained and demonstrated by your instructor and practiced by you.

Enjoy the challenge of our very sideways Caterham, and experience the dynamic characteristics and capability of your own car as it realises its true potential at grip limit. Invaluable information for those owners wanting to maximise its potential and enjoyment of their car on track.

Your training session will include presentations on:

• Understeer
  • Oversteer
  • Lift Off Oversteer
  • Roll Oversteer
  • Weight Transfer at Turn In
  • Tyre Grip Trade Off
  • Identifying Grip Limit
  • Breaking Traction

Your training will include an experience of a wetted as well as a dry surface on the Steering Pad at the Millbrook Proving Ground. There will also be a bottle of Champagne for the best Drifting God on the day.

Member Price £430 per person

The group size is 4 owners

N.B. Caterham 7 Specific - Minimum/maximum height 5ft 0in / 6ft 4in and maximum weight of 18 stones.

And for anyone who has already attended, or will have attended during 2018, both the Performance Track Day and the Cornering Masterclass...

4) Group Optimisation – Advanced Circuit Cornering Techniques

You honed your core skills on the Performance Driver ‘Track’ Day, and learned to be consistent and at one with your car on the Cornering Masterclass. Now it’s time to get to grips with the tarmac you drive on. The Group Optimisation full day course takes you into the world of professional race driving cornering lines and driving techniques. Helping you to achieve comfort at grip limit and optimised cornering speed and stability, with an inner confidence born from explicit targeted knowledge and learning.

“You will be learning cornering lines and techniques set aside for experienced racers and professional evaluators and engineers. On this course you tap into the secret knowledge of performance driving that only CAT clients have the opportunity to explore” - Colin Hoad

Your development through the day includes:

• Galvanising previous learning 

• Optimising cornering speed and safety 

• Optimised tyre grip in all driving scenarios 

• Finessing of brake and throttle modulation 

• The ability to read the road/circuit with confidence for speed and safety 

• “Exceptionally” late trail braking for lap time reduction 

• Corner triangulation for speed and lap time reduction 

• CAT specific advanced driver development exercises

A full day experience for you and your car: 

• Access to your favourite circuits 

• Professional motor industry training exercises 

• Lunch and refreshments throughout the day 

• Exclusive facilities
  • 1 hours 40 mins driving time with your personal instructor

Member Prices

General Notes

The club days described here are to use your own car, not CAT vehicles. with the exception described in the Drift session.

Noise Limits

...to quote "there is no limit unless you are a Le Mans Prototype or an F1 car". If anyone thinks they can compete at that level on noise, be sure to mention it when booking!

Full CAT Driver Training Event details can be downloaded in PDF by clicking 2018 Group Driver Training Event Options.pdf

• Like 1

So, you've read all that and now you are up for it.

We need the numbers to make it work, but at the same time, please only put your name down if you are serious about getting involved. When we get the groups together there’ll be sizeable deposits up front to secure our sessions. If demand outstrips places I'll see if we can change/swap the mix of days or add additional days.

Performance Driver Days - Sunday 20th May

1. taybo

2. Flashback

3. James M-S

4. Peter F

5. Richard H

Cornering Masterclass Day - Sunday 2nd June

1. Woodzman

Drift Day - Saturday 4th August

Optimisation Day - date TBC

1. SuperStu

Should you have any questions about getting your name down, please message me. If you have any questions about the day, the tuition or the Millbrook facility please message CAT@CAT

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2018 at 21:36, Woodzman said:

Go on then, let me be the first. Please put me down for the Cornering Masterclass day. 

Sorry for the silence, I've been on my holibobs but am now back and caught up.  Great Woodzman, thank you for getting the ball rolling - we look forward to seeing you again :thumbs:

KR

Jo

On 2/14/2018 at 21:52, taybo said:

Put me down for Performance Driver Track Day please Jo

I may have someone else interested. I'll get back to you on that.

Wonderful - duly added to my list ... we'll need SuperStu to do the honours on the thread here :thumbs:

KR

Jo

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Flashback said:

I think I'd be interested in the Performance Driver Day please Stu. :drive1

Went on this last year and I can assure you it's one incredible day.

Colin and the team have skills to pass on to you for life.

If my other commitments this season didn't clash I would have been on the cornering masterclass day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SuperStu said:

Nice one, list updated. It’s a cracking day, you’ll love it.

On 02/03/2018 at 19:48, andy james said:

Went on this last year and I can assure you it's one incredible day.

Colin and the team have skills to pass on to you for life.

If my other commitments this season didn't clash I would have been on the cornering masterclass day.

Looking forwards to it already!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I think I remember seeing a bunch of guys doing this near the start of mile straight. Looked like a lot of fun. Millbrook is a great site.

Sadly every time I end up there I end up on the Belgian Pave for about 4 hours. :rant::rant:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beefy said:

I think I remember seeing a bunch of guys doing this near the start of mile straight. Looked like a lot of fun. Millbrook is a great site.

Sadly every time I end up there I end up on the Belgian Pave for about 4 hours. :rant::rant:

I’ve been 3 times now, only ever driven past the pave. Done the high speed ring, alpine route, handling circuit, mile straight. :drive1

14 hours ago, SuperStu said:

I’ve been 3 times now, only ever driven past the pave. Done the high speed ring, alpine route, handling circuit, mile straight. :drive1

Alpine route is fantastic to drive.
Unnervingly dangerous to the inexperienced however.

Hi Taybo & Flashback

I'm going to offer this date to other forums if there are no fellow Z'ers looking to join you - will get on that this week and update you.  

On insurance – some take it out, some don’t – probably more that don’t.  It’s whatever gives you peace of mind but know that Health & Safety is our highest priority as is that you leave as you arrived.  We’re now in our 14th year and have worked with over 4,600 clients & have never had an incident in a client vehicle at Millbrook.  The instructor is sat alongside you when it is your turn for the exercises and an extra pair of eyes looking out for you both.  There could be other users in the proving ground on the day as we don’t have it exclusively – cost would be extreme if we did … but it is a professional working environment.  The facility isn’t like Silverstone/Donington etc. which is built with run off areas in mind, so other than the exclusive circuits (Steering Pad / Dynamics Pad / Mile Straight Apron) there isn’t run off areas to ‘fall into’ – but this is why we like it.  Training is progressive and you will be making incremental increases as you develop through the day. 

Hope this helps.

KR

Jo

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CAT@CAT said:

Hi Taybo & Flashback

I'm going to offer this date to other forums if there are no fellow Z'ers looking to join you - will get on that this week and update you.  

On insurance – some take it out, some don’t – probably more that don’t.  It’s whatever gives you peace of mind but know that Health & Safety is our highest priority as is that you leave as you arrived.  We’re now in our 14th year and have worked with over 4,600 clients & have never had an incident in a client vehicle at Millbrook.  The instructor is sat alongside you when it is your turn for the exercises and an extra pair of eyes looking out for you both.  There could be other users in the proving ground on the day as we don’t have it exclusively – cost would be extreme if we did … but it is a professional working environment.  The facility isn’t like Silverstone/Donington etc. which is built with run off areas in mind, so other than the exclusive circuits (Steering Pad / Dynamics Pad / Mile Straight Apron) there isn’t run off areas to ‘fall into’ – but this is why we like it.  Training is progressive and you will be making incremental increases as you develop through the day. 

Hope this helps.

KR

Jo

Thanks Jo, that's really helpful. :thumbs:

22 hours ago, longsh07 said:

Is there a deadline for booking on this, assuming not all placed get filled?

I'm seriously interested in the performance driver day (1) but don't think I can pull the money together in time...

Over the next week longsh07 I will be offering the event to some of the other forums we work with.  It is therefore possible the day may be filled within a couple of weeks.  But I am happy to leave it open if there are spaces, up to a week before.  The only way to guarantee a place is to pay for it.  But I'll be more active with updates in the coming days/weeks so you will know what the situation is at any time.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/04/2018 at 13:57, CAT@CAT said:

Over the next week longsh07 I will be offering the event to some of the other forums we work with.  It is therefore possible the day may be filled within a couple of weeks.  But I am happy to leave it open if there are spaces, up to a week before.  The only way to guarantee a place is to pay for it.  But I'll be more active with updates in the coming days/weeks so you will know what the situation is at any time.  

How are things going with this Jo?  Do you need any deposits or anything?

Hi Flashback - apologies I was out yesterday.  There might now be a problem with this date, which might mean it needs to be rescheduled.  I'll know for sure tomorrow and will be in touch to advise asap.

Thanks for your patience.

KR

Jo

2 hours ago, CAT@CAT said:

Hi Flashback - apologies I was out yesterday.  There might now be a problem with this date, which might mean it needs to be rescheduled.  I'll know for sure tomorrow and will be in touch to advise asap.

Thanks for your patience.

KR

Jo

Following

Group is coming together for Sunday 20th May x Performance Driver 'Track' Day.  Thanks for details and payments so far.

1. Taybo - payment awaited

2. Flashback - Paid in full

3. James M-S - payment awaited

4. Peter F - Paid in full

5. Richard H - Paid in full

6. Place available

If there is anyone on the forum who would like to take this last place please post up asap.

KR

Jo