Monaro??

m1ke13

Hi all

After 4 years of owning my Z I've decided to move on, partly down to fancying a change but also due to 4 seats making things easier. I've loved my time with the 350, particularly the noise so whatever I have next has to sound good! I'm thinking of a Monaro vxr to scratch the v8 itch too. Does anyone have any experience of ownership or a drive compared to the Z?

I'd also welcome suggestions of other cars to look at, I'm looking at a Max of £14K and don't want someone too expensive to repair when they inevitably need it, which unfortunately rules out the amg mercs.

Over to you guys.

3 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

IIRC Lexx had a Monaro for a short time, and of course Ekona had a BM 6 Series.

I had a TransAM V8 but probably not what you're looking for :)

Good luck with your search

I hadn't really considered the 6 series other than the m6, I'll have a nose. Thanks :)

My 6er is still for sale, will out-handle any Monaro and doesn’t have an interior made from cardboard :lol: Plus I’ve had all the major work done so no scary bills...

Could always buy a Merc for £10k and have a slush fund? All auto though sadly. Good friend of mine drove a Monaro VXR for a while, rated the engine but said it was just too bloated to be really fun. I’m sure you could always change the suspension though to help. 

14 hours ago, ATTAK Z said:

IIRC Lexx had a Monaro for a short time, and of course Ekona had a BM 6 Series.

I had a TransAM V8 but probably not what you're looking for :)

Good luck with your search

I had a VXR8 not a Monaro. 

If have another in a heart beat if I could convincethe wife. 

When I was in Australia back in 2011 for a friends wedding, one of the bridesmaids kindly let me take her boyfriends Monaro for a test drive. (very kind of her as he wasnt even at the wedding lol).

I did write a review up on here at the time, but basically I wasnt overly impressed with it.

19 hours ago, Ekona said:

My 6er is still for sale, will out-handle any Monaro and doesn’t have an interior made from cardboard :lol: Plus I’ve had all the major work done so no scary bills...

Could always buy a Merc for £10k and have a slush fund? All auto though sadly. Good friend of mine drove a Monaro VXR for a while, rated the engine but said it was just too bloated to be really fun. I’m sure you could always change the suspension though to help. 

I would be surprised if anyone bought a Monaro for its handling, its a muscle car imho, its not designed to tear up the twisty stuff :) 

I cant actually think of a V8 i would like to own at that budget, sorry op.

I'd say all v8's are expensive to run and maintain,  having owned nothing but v6 and v8 cars for the last ten years I honestly rate them as vfm cars and I am seriously considering trading up to the cls55 amg next month.

Some nice examples up for sale atm......... supercar performance at budget purchase price.  Easy to get even more power from them too. Been doing a lot of research on them lately but I still love my Zed and worry I may regret it, although the thought of a v8 supercharged 500 + bhp sldege hammer of a car would no doubt ease the the heavy heart of passing her onto someone else. I've not had FI car for years so maybe time to go there again !!

Good luck with your search and decision. 

Thanks for all the replies, loads of different opinion which I wanted.

Dan, thanks for putting the 6 on my list it's certainly under consideration.

Jetpilot - your right it's not for the twistes, it's more the noise with decent power whilst being reasonably practical.

Cls amg would be fantastic but I'd worry too much about a huge bill landing I think .

M6's are pretty solid except for the SMG pump on the pre facelifts. Buy a LCI 08+ model with the LED rear lights and front indicators and it'll be fine. However, you're not getting a facelift for £14k unfortunately. 

Go and drive one and form your own opinion, everyone is different and picks up on different things when it comes to cars. I thought about getting a big Monaro before my Zed. Evo's John Barker spent 10months and 15000miles in one and rated it

http://www.evo.co.uk/vauxhall/monaro/7637/vauxhall-monaro-vxr-60

Id say his opinion on performance cars is better than most

and (sorry Dan) but the old 6 series could be the best car in the world, when its that ugly I just couldn't do it! and huge wings bolted to them dont help either! (just not my bag......each to their own though)

I'm sure the door shuts with a good thud and the materials are a higher grade in the BM but for fun I doubt the BM comes close to the Holden. Read any review of these type cars on evo and they rate them (Jethro with the long-termer VXR8 is another example)  

Go for it...........and when was the last time you saw one? Quite nice to not be a sheep sometimes