370z nismo feels unstable

jamzee500

Hi There,

I've had a 2014 nismo 370z for a few months now, last night i was driving through a tunnel, dry conditions in third at about 70-80mph, it has a very slight bend and the car just kicked out, out of nowhere pushing me sideways in to the next lane then fishtailed the other way, luckily the tunnel had 2 lanes so i managed to save it and the traction control helped me out as well, this isn't my first sports car and I've had cars such as a supercharged s2000, skylines, 350z some running 500bhp etc and i just wouldn't really expect this from the z at that speed on such a shallow bend, never had anything like it in the 350? i drive through this tunnel every day and its not the first time I've been through at that speed or higher.

its not the first time its happened either its just the first time its been so aggressive but it always seems to be in a straight line or on a slight bend, had it in 4th before at fairly low speed for that gear around 60 very slight damp conditions in a straight line and it starts kicking out.

any ideas? tires are REO50's and seem to be fine.

Cheers

1 hour ago, coldel said:

Just to check, that the rubber blocks are removed from the suspension coils?

PS, its not usually good practice to incriminate yourself for speeding regularly on a public forum!

Hi,

What do you mean by the rubber blocks? is this something they come with as stock that should be removed? i bought it from a dealer so not sure to be honest

Cheers

As above..Many of the main dealers failed to remove the transportation blocks positioned in the springs.Check them as they will make all the difference if not removed.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1

Noting it is a 2014 model, sadly, it would come as no surprise if the shipping blocks in the springs had not been removed given the number of reported cases on here but that said, your 'incident' makes me wonder if the rear tyres have good tread and are a decent brand?

I found with the 370 that once the tread got down to around 3mm grip starting falling away quite sharply and with a potentially tail-happy car will let go all too easily if the loud pedal is exercised a little too vigorously and noting the speed and you were in third gear at the time. 

Also, if the shipping blocks are removed and the tyres are good, if a 4 wheel alignment has not been done that is a must in my book - every year with both my 350s and 370 that was checked and even in those timescales the tracking etc needed adjustments.

Oh, and if the shipping blocks are still in place and the warranty has expired I would be taking if back to the supplying dealer (hopefully not far from you), and banging the table that they failed to do the PDI properly and hopefully negotiate a free service  to avoid you raising a formal complaint with Nissan.  

• Like 2

thanks all, checked for transport blocks, i cant see anything so doesn't seem to be the issue, I'm assuming the transport blocks are quite obvious to see? 

i google imaged ''car shipping blocks'' and some seem to be big obvious block things and others hidden under seals etc

Cheers

The number of reports we have seen about the transport blocks not being removed is staggering and that is only those owners who have signed up on here so God knows how many other 370's are running around the blocks still in situ which clearly affects the handling that should be available. 

Perhaps it's about time the forum drew the issue to the attention of Nissan that there are dealers who are failing to to do the necessary in the PDIs and releasing cars onto the road that have potential safety implications.

1 minute ago, Ebized said:

The number of reports we have seen about the transport blocks not being removed is staggering and that is only those owners who have signed up on here so God knows how many other 370's are running around the blocks still in situ which clearly affects the handling that should be available. 

Perhaps it's about time the forum drew the issue to the attention of Nissan that there are dealers who are failing to to do the necessary in the PDIs and releasing cars onto the road that have potential safety implications.

Its actually a fair shout Colin, its amazing how many times we see this 

52 minutes ago, Ebized said:

I am not sure if its been said before, but it also makes you wonder how many journos may have driven these cars with the blocks in situ???

I would be commissioning Nissan to do a statutory recall and also let the motoring press know!!

Edited by Jetpilot

33 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

I am not sure if its been said before, but it also makes you wonder how many journos may have driven these cars with the blocks in situ???

I would be commissioning Nissan to do a statutory recall and also let the motoring press know!!

I doubt the journos cars would be affected as you can bet your bottom dollar Nissan UK would make sure the cars were 100%+ before releasing them

1 hour ago, Jetpilot said:

You have more confidence than me, its only ever going to be a regular service engineer that pdi's the car.

I don't believe so and is typical across the industry - we have all seen car manufactures use favourite number plates and those 'press' vehicles will have been prepped in house at Nissan UK to ensure they are as flawless as possible.  Quite understandable when the media reports can make or break a sales success.