Something to tow a track car.

Stutopia

Bit of a speculative Sunday afternoon special this one but...

As it gets harder to find quiet stretches of fun road (without getting up at 5am) and the requirement to have something sensible, it's becoming more apparent that instead of having a sporty number as a daily, it makes more sense to have a practical number as a daily and a track pig for spirited driving fun. Now, we've all seen threads on what track pig to get but no one ever asks what sensible car to get to lug it about. 

I kinda of have a thing for pickups, and can see the attraction of a double cab Navarra or L200 or Hilux. It'd be functional for lugging big stuff around, a good tower, super macho and kinda cool. Modding potential.

Then there's oil burning estates, like the Skoda VRS, 530d, E or C class or a petrol such as a Saab 9-3 or dare I say it, a Forrester STi. They feel a bit like a proper car, go relatively fast, loads of practicality and not much in the way of compromise. Might even be open to a few mods.

Last but not least are the SUV's like an X3 or Murano, Qashqai, Touareg. Not exactly cool or fun, but comfortable, practical and grunty.

£10k limit.

Go.

Depends on what kind of track car you want to tow, and the size of the trailer. If it's a big car and/or a big trailer, you're going to need something with decent toming capacity which possibly rules out a fair bit of stuff. On the other hand if it's light then anything will do.

Personally I'd want something wafty and expendable, so something I don't mind chucking tools and tyres into the back of when it's cold and wet and I just want to get home. Pretty much that's going to be a pickup or a leggy estate. I've enjoyed all the Ford Rangers I've had, and the current one is pretty comfy and better specced than the rivals (when new anyway, no idea on the second hand market). Plus the Yanks are desperate for Ford to release it over there purely because of the Ranger's massive towing ability, and they don't tend to mucj around with towing small things :lol:

E61 535d would be a great car for towing stuff, I've seen a fair few people at the circuit with them. The equivalent E-class might be even better, certainly for wafting.

The Ranger has the strongest engine.  The Navaras are prone to engine failure. I personally have a soft spot for the l200 too but have heard about gear box issues and short timing belt change intervals on the early ones.  I'd avoid the faux by fours, we have a qashqai and I wouldn't want to pull a skateboard with it, they're great as family cars though. 

35 minutes ago, SuperStu said:

How’s the Ranger for ride comfort, some pickups I’ve been in are a bit bouncy.

Early ones weren't great, waaaay too soft (but excellent for going sideways with!), but the current gen is a massive step up in the suspension department. Much more direct steering, and significantly more road grip albeit worse for off-roading. Only downside is a bit of a crappy gearbox when shifting from 1st to 2nd, but I'm picking really. As long as you stay with the T6 gen, you'll be fine.

When did you pass your driving test Stu?

I've got a V8 diesel Range Rover Sport which is rapid and supremely comfortable.  I picked up an RX8 for track days last summer, and my plan was to get a trailer - until i found out I needed to do a trailer test as I passed my test after 1997.  :dry:

Edit.  Both are for sale if you want to buy them. I'll do you a deal.  :lol:

Edited by marzman
Shameless plugging
  • Like 1

I have bought a KIA sorento for towing.

Looking at towing capacity on cars over last few months I'm amazed to see how many cars are being used to tow way outside there plated allowance BMW e61 is plated to 2 tons  you might get a catherham and the smaller club spec trailers in that but an ep3/mr2 with a trailer rated to carry that weight might just put you over it 

On 13/12/2017 at 22:20, nissanman312 said:

• 1 month later...