Oled / tft dash upgrade?

Hey everybody =) 

Has anyone ever looked into replacing the main dash instrument cluster with a digital alternative? The new digital dashboards that some cars have look pretty cool, but I can't seem to find much of anything regarding aftermarket stuff that might fit the OEM size/shape. 

I think it's unlikely you'll find anything to replace the standard cluster. You can get the digital motor sport ones, but that would replace the standard cluster entirely and you'd lose some of the information. 

My only suggestion would be to buy a new Audi TT and fit a 350z body kit... It would probably be easier and cheaper! :)

My only suggestion would be to buy a new Audi TT and fit a 350z body kit...

Now there's an idea :lol:

Wonder why there's a lack of anything like that, it's not as though the technology isn't ubiquitous.  Theoretically it's just a wide display, a compute unit of some kind, a piece of software, and a harness to communicate with the original wiring.  Not that I have a clue, I'm just surprised that cleverer folk haven't already come to market with something.

As you say, it's the getting it to look good that's the hard part, and probably small considerations like boot up time, battery life, how does one reboot when it is in situ if it crashes, other warning lights like the engine management etc.  Trying to bork together either a tablet or a screen with other bits whilst making it look pretty and not losing notifications.  If it's not pretty there's little point as you're mostly just replacing functionality with something identical.

A tablet works but isn't the right aspect ratio / dimensions to neatly fit where gauge cluster is currently, it would likely end up taller than the existing setup.  That screen above could potentially fit, the dimensions are roughly right going by quick measurements from insides of the clear plastic fronts to the gauges, although you would probably want something a few cm shorter in order to leave clearance for corners, and to have space at sides to potentially reposition the other warning lights if possible.

I love your throttle body thread btw, totally jealous of your mad skills ^_^