First proper drift practice day. Driftland Jan 28TH

Lurch

Hey Guys.

Looking for a bit of advice really

As some of you may have seen in my post in the suggestions section I am going to my very first drift practice day on the 28th of jan at Driftland. I like to think I'm fairly well aware of all the bits and bobs I will need on my first day but I'm sure there will be so many things I have forgotten and I know there are a few well experienced drifters on here.

My list so far;

Spare wheels - I bought a set of standard rear rays so will be using them 

Spare tyres - I currently have 1 extra set of rear tyres with 4-5mm on and then a set with about 2mm on. probably going to get another set on top of this it's probably going to be wet being in jan and in Scotland :lol:

Jack 

Jack stands

breaker bar

ratchet set with almost every size socket

other tools like spanners screwdrivers etc

Im intending to do an oil change both engine and diff the week before the event as I believe the fresh oil should help make sure the v-lsd locks as it should and the engine oil will help keep the engine better looked after.

I think i need to wear a helmet so i have one of them

I would love to have a massive list of spare parts to take with me but i don't so if it breaks I'm pretty much gonna have to get it recovered.

Any other useful info I should know before i take my first steps into legit drifting? Any words of wisdom?

Water for the rad might help,  the thing with going sideways is there isn't much air flow through the rad and losing a bit of coolant isn't uncommon and zed get got quick.  Fast car did a track day prep kit guide that had things like pads and suspension links too. An oil top up couldn't hurt either.  

Thanks for the speedy replies guys.

Water for the rad might help,  the thing with going sideways is there isn't much air flow through the rad and losing a bit of coolant isn't uncommon and zed get got quick.  Fast car did a track day prep kit guide that had things like pads and suspension links too. An oil top up couldn't hurt either.  

Thats actually a really good shout. Thanks

Alex I really appreciate that I will have to organise coming over at some point and ill get some off you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Right so that's my oil change sorted and I have some coolant to top up if I need to. didn't go ahead with the diff oil change as I am intending to weld it at some point. My bucket seat has arrived but I'm just waiting on the subframe arriving so that should hopefully arrive this week then I can get that in. all being well I should be drift ready in about a week. 

Any tips on driving??? I've skidded around in carparks and stuff in the past but this is my first legit event. anything I need to be aware of in advance?

You won't need to take water as you can get water from the taps there. I'd highly recommend getting the diff welded before you go as drifting with the vlsd is dangerous in my opinion (I ended up rolling my last z drifting with it lol) I'd be taking more wheels aswell, I was drifting there on Sunday and the track dried quick and a good set of tyres were lasting 3/4 mins a set. Obviously if you're just starting you won't use them as fast  but even 4 to burn on your first day. I should be drifting that day aswell so feel free to park next to us in the pits. Il even come out with you and give you some pointers if you'd like? Are you on Facebook?  I'm easier to contact on there if you need any help :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Chubby Ninja said:

You won't need to take water as you can get water from the taps there. I'd highly recommend getting the diff welded before you go as drifting with the vlsd is dangerous in my opinion (I ended up rolling my last z drifting with it lol) I'd be taking more wheels aswell, I was drifting there on Sunday and the track dried quick and a good set of tyres were lasting 3/4 mins a set. Obviously if you're just starting you won't use them as fast  but even 4 to burn on your first day. I should be drifting that day aswell so feel free to park next to us in the pits. Il even come out with you and give you some pointers if you'd like? Are you on Facebook?  I'm easier to contact on there if you need any help :)

Hey mate thats awsome thanks. Is there tyre mounting facilities Im hoping to have 4 sets for the day - I don't want to go welding the diff if it ends up being not for me - I already have you on facebook i think?? Stephen Brown ??? Im based in Glasgow just by costco:) 

Edited by Lurch

I don't think there will be tyre changing facilities that day it's just usually the big days they have it. If you come over before it I could probably lend you a pair to use and just give me them back after the day. I personally hate the vlsd as it's so unpredictable, could end up putting you in the wall if your not quite sure how to use it.  Best advice I could give you is never lift with it, always keep some throttle on to keep it locked, if you lift it just opens the diff and only spins 1 wheel usually putting you straight on and into a wall lol

Right that means id have one set of rears to use....... i thought they would have the tyre changing avail. I don't expect to use to much rubber but I have a set that have maybe 2mm i was going to use them first then change to the ones with about 4MM on them... i should probably just change the 4mm ones on now and hope they last...

If i am getting the diff welded where would you recommend ??

Also i think we have met before at the Nandos meets at the fort and the Quay that used to happen with Hensh and the guys ??

Edited by Lurch

16 minutes ago, StevoD said:

For reference I usually do anywhere between 6-10  new tyres a day 

I may have massively underestimated the number of wheels I need...........

I messaged driftland last night and they have said they might have a tyre service but it will depend on if they have a free member of staff. Not sure what to do ... its only 4 hours of drifting but i don't wanna spend all the money to get there and paying to drive then just get a few laps...

anyone know if there any local garages to driftland that would be open to fit them on the day ?

I normally take 8-10 wheels for a 4 hr drift day  aswell and that's with plenty breaks in between. If you are linking all the corners a set will last 3-4 mins but if you are just skidding the odd corner they won't use much at all as the tyres will barely get heat in them. As you get better you will need to get more wheels. Driftland don't normally put tyre changing on unless alot of folk are asking for it. There is garages nearby but don't think they will be open on a sunday. Il give you a spare set and there's a chance il break my car on the day so you can use whatever I have left over lol. My mates weld my diffs but quite a bit away for you, I'm sure there's loads of places through your way who will do it. It's about 150 for a spare diff so might be worth getting 1 and welding it and just swapping them over for drift days

• Like 2

Yeah I imagine they'd want to rent space or something. Did they balance them too or was it just tyre off tyre on? The problem is I'm not officially qualified. My techs at work have taught me and I've been fitting them for 2 yrs, but no paper. 

2 hours ago, Jay84 said:

Yeah I imagine they'd want to rent space or something. Did they balance them too or was it just tyre off tyre on? The problem is I'm not officially qualified. My techs at work have taught me and I've been fitting them for 2 yrs, but no paper. 

Na you don't need to balance them for drift, they aren't on long enough for it to matter lol. I don't think there are many tyre fitters qualified to be honest, I do them myself there's not much to it

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Massive thank you to @The Chubby Ninja for lending me an extra set of wheels. makes a massive difference! im not having to worry about tyres at all now :)

So i have my seat fitted and in i have all the stuff together.... just one more set of tyres to mount tonight and im ready to go!!!!

im starting to get excited now. can't wait to get the video together and ill post it up!!!

• Like 2