How's the idle on your HR? Call 0800 pedal dance...

Rocket_Rabbit

I'm at the point of buying replacement throttles now, but thought I'd give it one last go before l cave in.

Car was fine, went away for a couple of weeks, came back and it has a strange idle issue and hunting between 1500 and 2000rpm.

Que reset, self learn reset, throttle position reset, pedal dance, unplugging throttles, cleaning AFMs, new sparkplugs, replaced galley gaskets (in for a penny etc but they did need doing), running NDSIII and using that, thoroughly cleaning throttles (after they had been unplugged first).

The lowest I can get the idle is 900rpm, but the hunting still occurs, with a hang at 1500rpm after a rev, them a rev up to about 2k, and then back to 900 so not drastic but not right either.  The NDSIII learn never completes (Either IAVL failed or times out of 3000).  All parameters for idle relearn are met (>75ºC water, steering straight, no eleccy load, handbrake on, no CEL, prerequisite prayers to the Nissan Gods etc).

The ECU is an EV16A but since this started happening without the throttles being removed, so I have ruled out the 'you don't know sh1t about 350s and you've fuzzy ducked your ECU!' reason and I'm pointing towards the throttles.

My guess is that either the sensor has gone somewhat or the throttle plate has worn enough that it can no longer close enough to drop the rpm enough to reach target idle.  With the throttles unplugged, the car idles at 1200rpm.

My only idea is that there is what APPEARS to be a idle control screw (well, a throttle closed position screw in any case)  I did try having a go at moving it but it was pretty stuck (locknut came undone but screw didn't turn).

So if anyone has any ideas, I'd be mroe than welcome to hear them.

TIA

vq35hr350z_throttle.jpg

Edited by Rocket_Rabbit

I had similar with the revs to high i tried pedal dance and everything else, but no luck, in the end it went to nissan for them to rest the throttles on there machine and all has been fine since.

This happened to mine after I had cleaned the throttle body's. 

Edited by slipstream

23 minutes ago, slipstream said:

I had similar with the revs to high i tried pedal dance and everything else, but no luck, in the end it went to nissan for them to rest the throttles on there machine and all has been fine since.

This happened to mine after I had cleaned the throttle body's. 

Yeah I might have seen one of your posts when doing my research.  This was another port of call.  I might pop over there tomorrow see if they can do anything :)

5 hours ago, ZMANALEX said:

I would try an uprev tune first, however, if you require a pair of TBs, I have fully working low mileage in stock as well as HR ECUs etc. etc.etc.

Just drop me a pm if I can help further.

Alex.

Yep, I have a tuner uprev license for this very reason.

Appreciate the offer though.

Thanks

2 hours ago, slipstream said:

Any updates yet ?

I went to get Nissan to do it but obviously everyone is on Holiday.  My car is booked in for Thursday so we'll see what happens and I'll let you know.

I have a pair of throttles lined up for £170 from a 370Z from the US (Taxes and shipped) - some bloke wanted £400 on eBay - yeah - having a giraffe with that!

• 4 weeks later...

So this has been resolved!  I ordered a pair of TBs from the US, they sent me 2 right hand ones, so they then sent me a left hand one as well!

Turns out I didn't even need them...

I ordered 2 new Hitachi AFMs (I tried the cheap ones but they were sh1t so got a pair from Rock Auto).  Installed them, did the pedal dance and immediately 700rpm.  Car doesn't misfire and throttle response is back to normal!

Very very pleased

Edited by Rocket_Rabbit

• 1 month later...