350z full underbody tray/diffuser

Snjur

This has been lately on my mind after seeing there is full underbody tray diffuser for Honda S2000 by Password JDM

We are planning to do some homework and try to build something but this is still in phases of just table talks.

Been browsing web around and i haven't been able to find anything similar for 350z.

Mainly what I've manage to find focuses on rear diffusers and it's more for looks and not much performance based.

Does anyone has any more info on it or if somebody was trying to develop something similar for 350z

Looking forward for any info

tecnocraft-002.jpg

Screenshot_2017-12-19-10-15-54-193_com.android.chrome.png

18nbfieeam336jpg.webp

PWJDM Diffuser.jpg

htup_0809_14_z+honda_s2000_diffuser+jdm_password_undertray.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So been looking browsing around haven't been able to find much.

There is one lad in Middle East who did complete under tray from aluminium but.... Looks bit odd

So most probably I will go with something like on GTR. Combine at front splitter something like ARP carbon one but we will go with abs plastic as it is cheaper. Just need to take measurements.

On the rear end we will go with Top Secret replica diffuser and will see how far we can extend it.

On 19/12/2017 at 14:44, coldel said:

Just as an aside, you would have to remove this in the UK for MoT time I would have thought as the exhaust etc. would need to be inspected?

Not sure if you would, it would just be advised that components not visible due to under trays being fitted. Some bits like brake lines go over the fuel tank on some cars and can't be seen, and if it passed emissions the exhaust is probably fine. 

You can't see the engine these days to check for major oil leaks due to under trays and covers. 

A car should fail for having a wheel bolt missing, but won't if plastic trims obscure the view as the tester isn't allowed to remove them. 

I like the idea of a full under tray though. 

So far this is the only full under tray I've been able to find online for 350z

https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/546058-build-full-under-tray-and-diffuser.html

I think we can do something which will visually look much better than this.

Im not fan of aluminium, if things go wrong it can be very dangerous for other participants in traffic.

Anyway will keep posting with progress.

Diffusers will be shipped next week. Once we have them in garage we will have a better view on how to proceed with design of rear end

I'd certainly be interested in something that actually improved aerodynamic performance rather than the general collection of mostly aesthetic splitters and diffusers that are currently available =)  I mean, it's good to look great, but if they deliver some real benefits too that would be excellent ^_^

Edited by Guest
Fixed sentence

10 hours ago, Doom said:

I'd certainly be interested in something that actually improved aerodynamic performance rather than the general collection of mostly aesthetic splitters and diffusers that are currently available =)  I mean, it's good to look great, but if they deliver some real benefits too that would be excellent ^_^

This is performance driven project. Goal is to get more downforce. Few ideas already on how and where to start but all will be posted here. 

Also any comments and ideas or discussion are more than welcome as we are just a bunch of enthusiast and not professionals in aerodynamics.

From mine point of view I reckon it would be easiest to combine front and rear section of the car. Similar to GTR on pictures above and than see that can be done with Mid section and if it can be easily joined with front and rear

I think one problem with the Zed is the exhaust hangs quite low, it's usually the Y and mid pipe that scrape speed bumps first, so in order to fit a flat bottom, brackets would need made for it to hang low enough to clear it and with it being made possibly from plastic, would need to clear it enough to prevent it melting, which in turn lowers the ground clearance by quite a lot. In a lot of cars that come from the factory with flat bottoms they have cut outs for low sections of the exhaust to fit through and that complicates the whole project.

Hopefully I'm exaggerating as I'd love this to happen, especially if you plan to make more than 1 ;)

Abbey might be able to help, they have something similar on their 350 drag car.

11 minutes ago, KyleR said:

I think one problem with the Zed is the exhaust hangs quite low, it's usually the Y and mid pipe that scrape speed bumps first, so in order to fit a flat bottom, brackets would need made for it to hang low enough to clear it and with it being made possibly from plastic, would need to clear it enough to prevent it melting, which in turn lowers the ground clearance by quite a lot. In a lot of cars that come from the factory with flat bottoms they have cut outs for low sections of the exhaust to fit through and that complicates the whole project.

Hopefully I'm exaggerating as I'd love this to happen, especially if you plan to make more than 1 ;)

Abbey might be able to help, they have something similar on their 350 drag car.

We will start with paperboard templates first before we start material selection. Aluminium would be the best some 2 mm thickness only thing which concerns me with aluminium is in cases of things going wrong it can become quite hazardous on highway/track. Abs plastic maybe with some heat resistant/protective materials on top side under hot elements.

• 6 months later...
5 minutes ago, Dom1991 said:

Anymore in the progress with this? I'm considering doing a similar thing. Was also planning on making my own diffuser from rear axle back. 

Just started few days ago so we will see how is going.

Taking a print from paper

IMG-20180804-WA0047.jpg

IMG-20180804-WA0047.jpg

IMG-20180804-WA0044.jpg

IMG-20180804-WA0046.jpg

I know this might sound stupid. But with the above mention on using aluminium as a material. How would it be dangerous for other traffic? I'm sure anyone would use plenty of decent fixings. 

If not if you're that worried attach a strong chain/wire to it inside if it falls off just drag it with you lol. Just kidding.

But yeah, I've been looking at materials and for cost I think aluminium is best. I'd worry using plastic and flying stones could just crack if it's a rigid board. 

Although I'm still at the idea and being tempted phase. What's the best opinion on material choices?