War on pigeons

coldel

I would be more concerned there are no washing facilities at such a "prestigious" block, i am not sure i will ever cease to be amazed by some people in this country and what they expect and want and dare i say what they feel is their "right".

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

As someone who has to put up with the daily reminder of local pigeons, their contribution to life seems limited three four letter words all beginning with F come to mind.

They FEED, FOUL and the third won't get past the swear filter.......and in any random order!

Plenty of other bird life around and great to see but could also do without the gulls but at least we never see them in the trees that overhang our garden.

• Haha 1

Some very interesting history availsble online about homing pigeons that carried messages in WW1.  Quite moving.

I get that people are frustrated by the mess birds like pigeons create etc. I just wonder how many people make the link between that and the amount of rubbish we leave lying around etc.

• Like 1

I thought that parking in our hemmel was a good idea; keeps away the worst of the weather.

The local feral pigeons have given me cause to review that decision!

Have no wish to see them suffer; just exterminated. So far just resorted to poking them off the rafters with a long stick as they start to roost, hopefully they'll get the message. I feel shooting at them will just leave holes in the roof.

5a3d7a421fce0_Zandpigeon.thumb.jpg.b31ea01039e1148fc66b77e265f8564c.jpg

On 22/12/2017 at 22:11, Ekona said:

What’s a hemmel? 

On 22/12/2017 at 23:43, ATTAK Z said:

Don't you know anything Dan ? ... it's a simple shelter usually in a field for cattle or hay

Sorry guys, must be a north east colloquialism. Clearly I have been living up here for far too long and am starting to go native; I'm Essex born and bred.

• Like 1

A fair few wood pigeons around here plus a few pairs of collared doves. The numbers never really get out of hand as they are predated on by Sparrowhawks, Cats and juveniles often fall prey to Crows.  I can see why town dwellers get annoyed with them but let's face it they do a lot less damage than a handful of feral youths.

Pete

• Like 1

On 22/12/2017 at 21:36, Woodzman said:

I thought that parking in our hemmel was a good idea; keeps away the worst of the weather.

The local feral pigeons have given me cause to review that decision!

Have no wish to see them suffer; just exterminated. So far just resorted to poking them off the rafters with a long stick as they start to roost, hopefully they'll get the message. I feel shooting at them will just leave holes in the roof.

An air rifle is ideal for pigeon control inside barns etc. Wont leave a hole in the roof. Something like a nice PCP rifle will be deadly accurate for a quick clean kill. If they are wood pigeons then even better, they are very tasty.