New to the site and 350`s, problems in first week

Hi everyone and am I relieved to find a community of enthusiasts. Apologies that my first post is born out of frustration as I`m really keen to drive my new purchase and learn.

Just 6 days ago I bought a 2002 350Z low mileage automatic, imported in 2009, sadly I've  only been able to drive her for less than 30 miles!

After collection I drove home and locked her up in the driveway (she`d been driven 75 miles by the previous owner to the collection point). On Sunday morning I went out to start her and not enough `juice` to crank her over or lift the drivers window . It was a foul day and I packed the space out with towels then decided to jump start her so as to lift the window. No problem starting. I disconnected the battery from both terminals and elected to replace it with a more powerful one later on in the week. The previous owner said he`d had the battery discharge once on him after leaving the stereo header unit in situ. I hadn't removed it so thought this must have caused the drain albeit after less than 20 hours since the long run out from London. Absolutely everything else was switched off.

Fully charged battery put in place Thursday and I noticed the rear wiper randomly operating on start up. This eventually stopped, the car started easily and I drove her into work (4 miles). Walking past the car about an hour later I heard the fan going under the bonnet so opened the car up and the rear wiper started going erratically again. With the ignition off and no key in place I discovered the indicators would work. The fan went off once immobilised (it has an additional aftermarket immobiliser with a fob applied to a dash receiver). The fan stayed off initially, the wiper parked eventually, the engine cranked but wouldn't start. The fan came on again and the rear wiper ran so I disconnected the battery and left it overnight.

Friday, I reconnected the battery, nothing weird happened and the car started immediately. I went to lunch, came back and saw the side lights on in the car going on and the off, also I heard the fan going. Needless to say the lights were not switched on.

Not enough power in the battery now to crank her over and try and start so I've disconnected it again.

Fully charged battery again by this morning, reconnected, the car behaved and immediately fired up as before. I turned the engine off after 5 minutes, was tidying up and ...... you've  guessed it, rear wiper bonkers, fan comes on. So immobilise, insert ignition key, fan goes off engine cranks but wont start. After a few goes I disconnect the battery before it full drains due to weird electrics.

Having done a search on Google using a variety of questions and terms and coming up with a mixed bag of answers I would be really grateful for any guidance from forum members as to a way forward. I`m sorry my first post is not full of festive joy!

Many thanks, Robin.

Hey welcome to the forum :) Sorry its been a dodgy start to your ownership. Im not sure whats going on but I am sure someone on here far more knowledgeable than me will show up and shed some light on whats going on for you. Good luck :) 

• Like 1

Many thanks. I’m searching and reading lots of useful posts and getting helpful advice from the previous owner. Checking relays, trying ecu resets, synching keys etc. The symptoms are just so weird, everything fine after overnight battery disconnect and then within 5-10 minutes after initial start up and turn off, bonkers electrics and non starter!

I will go to an auto electrician next week but would so like to get a diagnosis. I’m an ex-medic and enjoy a challenge, this is without doubt that!! Give me a spine any day.

Your advice is really appreciated. 

Does sound strange i have a import had it a month nearly. Mine has a cobra alarm/ immobilizer and a Kenwood full media head unit and the factory sat nav unplugged and even after 5 days in the cold and snow the other week it starts first time every time. Is the after market secruity a good brand? have u got a certificate and fitment documents that u should get with a proper install? My after market security come with cobra certificate and receipt and receipt for the head unit as was done professionally. The last owner might of fitted all the after market stuff to yours them selfs? As this all sounds very weird/dodgy.  Hope get some good news soon.

Thank you Junkyardbear. Curved ball it is. No certification or obvious make on the aftermarket immobiliser. First thing I’ll get removed I reckon. Alpine header unit, now detached.

Could a poor earth manifest such odd symptoms?

Lets see what tomorrow brings and I’ll be sure to update with any findings. 

Been on here a long time to read about Zeds with a failing battery or a dodgy engine earth can cause all weird and wonderful things to happen to the electrics.  If  you have access to another suitable battery (before buying), might be worth a try before you fork out on an electrician, that I agree as others ^ say, might become necessary.

• Thanks 1

Your welcome :) in my experience a bad earth normally stops things from working as opposed to making things work on there own accord but Iam no expert in electrics so please don't take that as fact. The fan coming on is the most bizzare. The only way the head unit could use power is if the remote ignition leads are the wrong way round but it would be permantly on. Check if there's any amp cables running from the battery and check under boot mat as the car might of had a speaker amp install in the boot and could be some exposed cables after it was taken out. Other than that m8 as basic things to look for Iam all out of suggestions. Oh you could leave a bible in the car and draw the demon out :angry: keep us updated m8 and I so hope this is something so simple we can laugh about after like a pound coin slipped in the wrong place .

• Like 1

Hope you get your issues sorted Robin.Keep an eye out in South East regional meets in Jan as I will be arranging one.Will be a good chance for you to meet your local fellow forum members and pick some brains.

Martin

• Like 1

Hi Junkyardbear. Here’s where we are so far! Auto electrician removed the aftermarket immobiliser to start with but this didn’t sort out the weird electrics so he took the ipdm apart to discover it had been historically water damaged and shorted out at the ecu and fan relays, so I’m trying to source a replacement ipdm. Next he’s taking the body control unit out and checking that. Hopefully it’ll be ok and the ecu as my bills are mounting already and I’ve only driven the car for 30 minutes!! So old damage that incredibly manifest heavily within a day of my ownership and as a result of the battery flattening overnight??? Looks like the central locking module had some moisture issues too. 

I’ll update again when I know more. 

And thanks for the ‘heads up’ Payco, I look forward to attending something in the SE. 

AC94FB4B-C4DA-48FD-8339-6F3DCBEC1CFD.jpeg

2D23DB1B-CB52-4EC2-B14A-6B2BFC32F95F.jpeg

Thank you so much Guys, that’s really kind. I live near Rudgwick and ‘work’ at Dunsfold Aerodrome where I have a unit with a collection of classic Italian motorbikes. I’m spliced on the side of the Top Gear studio if you ever fancy a trip out. 

• Like 1