Electrical gremilns

Somadoc

Hi everyone. Just 6 days ago I bought a 2002 350Z low mileage automatic imported in 2009, sadly I've  only been able to drive her for less than 30 miles!

After collection I drove home and locked her up in the driveway (she`d been driven 75 miles by the previous owner to the collection point). On Sunday morning I went out to start her and not enough `juice` to crank her over or lift the drivers window . It was a foul day and I packed the space out with towels then decided to jump start her so as to lift the window. No problem starting. I disconnected the battery from both terminals and elected to replace it with a more powerful one later on in the week. The previous owner said he`d had the battery discharge once on him after leaving the stereo header unit in situ. I hadn't removed it so thought this must have caused the drain albeit after less than 20 hours since the long run out from London. Absolutely everything else was switched off.

Fully charged battery put in place Thursday and I noticed the rear wiper randomly operating on start up. This eventually stopped, the car started easily and I drove her into work (4 miles). Walking past the car about an hour later I heard the fan going under the bonnet so opened the car up and the rear wiper started going erratically again. With the ignition off and no key in place I discovered the indicators would work. The fan went off once immobilised (it has an additional aftermarket immobiliser with a fob applied to a dash receiver). The fan stayed off initially, the wiper parked eventually, the engine cranked but wouldn't start. The fan came on again so I disconnected the battery and left it overnight.

Today, Friday, I reconnected the battery, nothing weird happened and the car started immediately. I went to lunch, came back and saw the side lights on in the car going on and the off, also I heard the fan going. Needless to say the lights were not switched on.

Not enough power in the battery now to crank her over and try and start so I've disconnected it again.

Having done a search on Google using a variety of questions and terms and coming up with a mixed bag of answers I would be really grateful for any guidance from forum members as to a way forward. I`m sorry my first post is not full of festive joy!

Many thanks, Robin.

Edited by Somadoc