Steering lock failure covered by car insurance

Ebized

Just been doing the annual 'go-compare' pa lava and noticed in the John Lewis details that under the key cover cover it includes replacement steering locks....

Now, maybe that is also done by other insurers but given the 370 steering lock 'issue' is still cropping up that may be something to look out for ;)

But as others have pointed out, fuse removal is the best 'insurance' otherwise.

Screen Shot 2017-12-14 at 15.25.23.png

Nissan themselves say that the issue is down to wear and tear, so this insurance policy wouldn't pay out for that. It's not a warranty, it's meant to fix things when thieves try and steal your car. Tbh every single insurance policy covers the exact same thing anyway, which is general damage by vandalism or theft, so whilst it's a nice idea any one buying a JL policy on the basis of claiming for this is going to be sorely disappointed methinks. Plus it's going to affect your claims history, something most folks want to avoid.

Unless, of course, you could somehow lose the entire steering lock mechanism, as it clearly says that it'll replace it in that case... :lol:

Would need to check the definition of "damaged" - if does not say it has to be caused by a third party and there is no reference to wear and tear and a garage confirms it is 'broken', then on the face of it they should pay for the replacement less £100, IMHO.

If the brakes on an otherwise road-worthy car fail and it crashes, the damage would be covered by a Comprehensive policy and in that example there is obviously 'wear and tear', hardly something the owner can avoid.:lol:   So if an Insurance Company chooses to protect an item that means the insured cannot use their car when it fails - only right that the Company pays out in my book.  But then there is always the dreaded small print. :surrender:

I reckon that the insurance claim would be successful if worded correctly as interpretation would be key.(excuse the pun)

"Damaged" could be construed as broken so I do not think that they would instruct a loss adjuster in this instance.

What you have is a damaged component which is clearly defined in the JL print.

IMHO I do not view this issue as wear and tear as I have experienced this issue on extremely low mileage cars.

Just my 2 pence worth, although still a bit of a grey area.

Good luck.

Not a cat in hell’s chance. Damaged does not mean broken, as then you could claim on your insurance for anything and everything, including grenaded engines etc. 

If anyone is successful in claiming for this, I’ll pay their £100 excess myself!

12 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Not a cat in hell’s chance. Damaged does not mean broken, as then you could claim on your insurance for anything and everything, including grenaded engines etc. 

If anyone is successful in claiming for this, I’ll pay their £100 excess myself!

Stand back and think about it for a moment Dan, instead of going off like a cannon.:lol:

14 minutes ago, Ekona said:

You are losing the plot Dan, in your normal manner of taking issue with anything you want to disagree with.  The steering lock failure is specifically listed under key cover.

But until a legal eagle checks the small print I certainly agree it is not a 100% certain.

Losing the plot? I’m not the one claiming that a regular insurance policy can be treated like a warranty :lol: They’re not saying that steering lock failure is covered in the slightest: Damage, loss or theft are NOT the same as failure.

And you’re right, I do take issue with people making foolish and utterly bizarre recommendations without having the common sense to understand just why what they’re proposing wouldn’t work in the real world. Utterly bonkers.

4 minutes ago, Ekona said:

And you’re right, I do take issue with people making foolish and utterly bizarre recommendations without having the common sense to understand just why what they’re proposing wouldn’t work in the real world. Utterly bonkers.

I sincerely hope that you are not referring to me. :lol: