Electronic Steering Lock failure - It happened AGAIN!!

Noble Bernard

Hi Guys/Gals,

Long time forum lurker here from the West Midlands. I’ll try and make this brief and to the point, although its very hard when you can feel the anger welling up inside you!

I bought a 59 plate 370z GT almost 4 years ago, Jan 2014. Absolutely love it. It is my pride and joy.

Unfortunately the previous owner had neglected to take the vehicle in for the electronic steering lock recall which affected 59 and 10 plate 370z’s in addition to a load of other Nissans. Predictably, my Z breaks down with this problem within 3 weeks of buying it. Had it recovered to Arbury Nissan in Bromsgrove, who fixed it under the recall free of charge. The replacement part number fitted was D8700-JF00D. All good so far.

Fast forward to two weeks ago, and my Z again falls foul of the steering lock problem.  Again had the vehicle recovered to Arbury Nissan, who have quoted me £1800 to fix it!!

Along with a number of other customer service related issues (not updating me for days despite me repeatedly chasing them up, not sorting a courtesy car etc) I contacted Nissan head office who assigned a case worker to the case.

Bottom line, they said that although it’s the same part that has failed again, any parts they fitted under the original recall only have a 12 month warranty, and that any failure of the part at this point they would regard as ‘wear and tear’. They said they were not willing to contribute anything towards the repair. (I have not always used Nissan for servicing but they said they would not contribute anything even if I had). The new part number they will fit is 487001NC1B.

I informed them that I did not consider the steering lock to be a consumable part on a car such as tyres, brakes etc, and that a second failure of the part within 4 years shows that there are clearly serious ongoing issues with it.

I also pointed out that the replacement part which they fitted under the recall did not even last as long as the original part for which they recalled the vehicle in the first place!! How can that be possible??

I have spent a long time reading posts on this forum regarding this, the fact that new 370z’s aren’t even built with steering locks any more, I have seen mention of the fact other owners have experienced a second steering lock failure after the original recall.

I am not averse to spending money on my Z, its not exactly an economical car, I spend a lot on tyres, road tax, and a small fortune on fuel. But I knew all this when I bought it and am fine with it.

I just cannot get over the feeling that I have been well and truly wronged with this steering lock issue. Am I supposed to just stump up £1800 every few years every time this part fails?!

I am seriously considering taking this up with the Motoring Ombudsman. Has anyone had any experience of the steering lock failing for a second time and also what are people’s experiences of referred disputes to the Motoring Ombudsman?

Many thanks, from a very unhappy Z owner.