EzeePzee’s 2004 350Z APS TT Project Thread

EzeePzee

On 23/02/2019 at 22:27, davey_83 said:

Real nice work and makes a big difference having clear lens. I would recommend clear coating or clear wrapping to maintain the look!! 

Yeah, so I've been looking for some sealer to put on - for the time being I've just used some of the wax I've got in my detailing stash. Not sure what's recommended for headlights specifically though?

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/06/2018 at 08:10, EzeePzee said:

Month 7: June 2018

Completed This Month:

• Replaced blue engine bay dress up bolts with gold
  • Finished heat reflective tape on intake pipe
  • Clear fog light LED conversion

= £50 total 

So not a massively exciting month on the modification front at least, but some well overdue tidy-up jobs have been completed. First, replacing the rather badly mismatched engine bay dress-up bolts and washer (Well, currently all bar the plenum bolts anyway) to at least have a bit of consistency with the colour theme throughout the car. The blue samco hoses still upset my OCD somewhat, but I'll hopefully get around to them at some point soon.

The previous owner felt there was some value in using some gold heat reflective tape on the metal intake pipe, but apparently ran out half way through the job. I'm not convinced that it gives massive value, but at the cost of a few pints, I finished the job off with some Funk Motorsport heat reflective tape that seems to get some good reviews. (I wasn't going to buy any unbranded tape given that it probably poses more of a fire risk than heat reflective quantities!)

Finally, another OCD-satisfying job was to remove the red lens from within the rear bumper light cluster, and then install a high-quality red LED bulb. I managed to locate an Osram LED bulb that does the job very well indeed. :)

Next month - well this is the next big month really! The Enkei RPF1's go in for a refurb, and will be coming out gloss black. I've also had some bespoke Enkei rim logos created, again in a colour that goes with the theme, and these will get added once the wheels are back on the car. I'll also be installing the black Muteki nuts and locking wheel nuts that were purchased last month.

June1.jpeg

June2.jpeg

June3.jpeg

June4.jpeg

June5.jpeg

June6.jpeg

June7.jpg

hello mate, dont suppose there is a part number for these bulbs? cheers

Edited by Konflict89

Month 15: March 2019

Completed This Month:

• P1 Service with upgraded 10w-40 Millers oil
  • MOT
  • Gearbox oil change
  • Front suspension arm bush replacement - SuperPro polybushes x 4
  • Full Hunter 4-wheel alignment
  • Camshaft position sensor bank 1 replacement (23731-6J90B)

Total spent: £1060

So clearly I jinxed things last month by opening my gob and stating "last quiet month for the 350z". How right I was. Getting the 350z back on the road started swimmingly - taxed, fresh tank of v-power, tyres brought back up to correct pressures, and a few miles under the belt to kick start 2019. The plain sailing soon stopped though, starting with the day of the service and MOT. First up, on the way to Abbey Motorsport, half way into my 60 mile journey, an EML was generated. The car was still running fine, and being in rush hour traffic I decided to take it easy and get to Abbey in 1 piece. Upon arrival, I decided to do a quick ODB diag with my tool before potentially losing the code, and extracted P0171 - System too lean - Bank 1. The guys at Abbey checked the car over, cleared the error and it didn't return.

During the service, it was noted that one of my front lower suspension arm bushes was knackered. (See photo). Unexpected given the low mileage since last service and MOT, I gave them the nod to replace it; after all it was an MOT failure otherwise. As with all things suspension, it was best to replace both bushes (1 at either end of the arm) and of course, the same on the other side of the car. An expense I hadn't anticipated, but well worth doing.

Along with this, it was recommended to get the alignment done, to which I agreed. Whilst performing alignment, it was noted that 1 of the rear wheels was a long way out of alignment, but given the odd configuration of my car it couldn't be brought into spec. Having adjustable camber and caster arms was fine, but the toe was where the issue lied. It looks like the previous owner decided to put lockout bolts in the standard toe arms - and thus negating any possibility of adjustment. A couple of eccentric bolts later, and the car is aligned and brought back to spec (as much as can be with a lowered zed)

All good thus far, or so I hoped.

Upon the journey to the MOT, the zed threw another EML, and along with this made it very difficult to start the car during and after the MOT. Error logged - P03040 - Camshaft position sensor A - bank 1.

Errors cleared, and everything back to normal! Multiple test drives prior to taking my return journey home, and no new occurrence.

Wallet significantly lighter, I gave the car a wash and went out for a bit of a spin. 1 mile from home, and my dash lights up like a Christmas tree so I limp home and get it in the garage. After stopping the engine I was then unable to start it again - P0340 logged again.

Off to Clark Motorsport online I go, ordering a new camshaft position sensor. A day later it turns up, looking nothing like I expected.

For reference to anyone reading - 23731-6J90B - the original sensor (Drivers side RHD) has been superceded by Nissan with 23731-6J90C which looks significantly different; rather than black plastic and mostly flat in shape, the new sensor is metallic and cylindrical. 

A relatively easy swap (if you have small hands which I don't) - and the car is back up and running again! 

I hope not to experience any more issues for a little while as the bank manager won't be too happy with me. But for now, I'm looking forward to getting back behind the wheel and putting some miles under the TT's belt :)

Photos 

mar2019_1.JPEG

mar2019_3.JPEG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Month 16: April 2019

Completed This Month:

• #tumbleweed

Total spent: £0

So a late update, but with good reason - there isn't one! Last month killed the finances, so nothing done bar drive the car. I am pleased to say there have been no other repeat issues, so getting a few miles under the belt. Have a few car shows lined up this year now, and a few other plans afoot for May onward :)

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Build!!

I also have a APS TT on my 350Z only with build motor and the extreme kit.

Thanks to you I finally know what kind of replacement filters I need for the TT kit. Thanks!

We have a lot in common, my BOV also makes a surging noise instead of the Psssst.

Time for me to take the APS BOV apart and grease everything like you said.

Keep up the good work and maybe we will meet one day on japfest in the Netherlands  :thumbs:

Greetz Luca

Hey! Good to know there’s other similar cars out there :)

ill be honest, and the regreasing of the DV was piece of mind, but it hasn’t made any difference really. I think I’ve got used to the noise and succumbed to the fact that it does it and it’s “normal”. I just cannot predict when it does or doesn’t do it, seems to be pretty random! 

hahah I had the same idea. I also cleaned and re-greased the BOV today but still have the fluttering sound at low boost.

At low boost the BOV throws the pressure back to the intake, Above 0,5 bar the BOV it blows into the atmosphere. PSSST :thumbs:

Don't know if the fluttering sound is bad for the turbos since APS designed the BOV like this...

Maybe a TIAL in the future  ....

Month 17: May 2019

Completed This Month:

• Nissan OEM rear mud guards
  • Mishimoto Radiator fan shroud

Total spent: £140

So a bit of a technical hitch on the above list of items, as neither have actually been fitted yet. 

Firstly, I purchased a set of OEM rear mud guards, already painted in WV2 from eBay that were listed as “good condition”. When they arrived, however, they were cracked, broken and in need of a full respray. After highlighting this to the seller I was given a full refund and told I could keep them. I’ve since spent about 2 hours working on them to repair and repaint them, and I’m pleased to say that my time and money (paint, filler, glue) hasn’t been wasted and they look like they’ll be back to an acceptable condition to be fitted soon.

The other purchase this month was a new fan shroud. The prohibitive cost of OEM replacement fans and a decent price on the Mishimoto aftermarket equivalent made my decision for me - I will give these a go and see how I get on. Given my current fans only operate on single speed (high speed only) they had to be replaced or repaired anyway, so I can fit the Mishimotos and have a look at the old motors when they’re out on the bench. I have some slight challenges, however - the standard fan shroud isn’t easy to remove - with the turbo and intercooler pipes in the way it’s going to be a lot of swearing and cursing whilst I find a way around it. 

Im also off to JDMCombe this weekend, so I’ll probably finish and fit these bits later in June.

Photos

None yet - will upload later! 

• 4 weeks later...

Month 18: June 2019

Completed This Month:

• Fit forum window sticker
  • Sell Original DE Headlights
  • Refurb a pair of NIssan fan motors
  • Cleaned underside of bonnet!

Total profit - £140

Not much progress this month, for various reasons really! The main reason is that I'm actually thinking of selling the 350Z now - for some reason I've recently really had a hankering for a Westfield or something along those lines. It's been listed on Facebay, but I've yet to commit to listing it on here or ebay/PH. 

I love the 350z, but I don't think there is much more I'd do to the car but I'm sure a new owner could take her to the next level!

Back on track - yes, I've fitted a 350Z-uk forum window sticker, and I sold my old DE headlights as after fitting the HR equivalents I don't think I'd ever return it back. So this put some well needed finances back in the bank :)

I've also picked up some dead 350Z radiator fan motors. I acquired these to refurb and familiarise myself with the process, and was planning on keeping these as spares. However, with the Mishimotos to fit (Which I'll do after "Simply Jap" show in July) I'll probably just sell them on to someone who can use them. The refurb process wasn't too hard, and I dressed the brushes, cleaned the commutators and motor internals and reassembled. Now not only do both motors work, they work on both speeds. I also hooked up a bench test-rig using some server PSUs I had lying around to test them without needing to fit to a car.

Finally, after attending JDMCombe, I realised how filthy the underside of my bonnet was. So a bit of elbow grease and it's cleaned up nicely. A touch of paint on the bonnet catch and it's done.

Photos

IMG_5285.jpeg

IMG_5291.jpeg

IMG_5296.jpeg

IMG_5297.jpeg

IMG_5299.jpeg

• 11 months later...