Oil query if I may...

tspar

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2017 at 14:02, tspar said:

I believe that I need 5w-30 Ester Fully synthetic engine oil. Can anyone confirm please :thumbs:

Correct

https://h-dev.co.uk/product/nissan-370z-p1-service-pack/?v=79cba1185463

Horsham also recommend Fuchs XTR 5w30 which seems incredibly cheap at £17 for 5 litres

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Titan-TITAN-XTR-5W30-5L/dp/B00MV268N8

Edited by Bikeracer

5 hours ago, Bikeracer said:

Correct

https://h-dev.co.uk/product/nissan-370z-p1-service-pack/?v=79cba1185463

Horsham also recommend Fuchs XTR 5w30 which seems incredibly cheap at £17 for 5 litres

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Titan-TITAN-XTR-5W30-5L/dp/B00MV268N8

Wow

£17 for 5 litres is a mighty fine price for good synthetic oil.

Is it always this price or are Amazon doing a special?

would recommend to do not put this shitty crap 5w30 in that car , go for 5w50 . Manufacturers are recommending oil change after 10k miles , just look whats in that oil already after 600 miles. its new 370z nismo with over 600 miles on clock, see this silver flakes? 5w50 should be used for these cars especially when that car hasnt got oil cooler. 5w50 works on higher temps and extend this engine life, while 5w30 is like water when you having fun with your nismo

27459492_2068385243178231_4731323564382214823_n.jpg

Edited by Sebastian

The silver flakes as you call them is due to the metal contact during the run in period, nothing to do with the oil. That is the exact reason why I did an oil & filter change on my new Nismo after 1300miles.

For reference most high performance cars use 10W40

Normally 5W50 or 10W50 would only be recommended in older, higher mileage engines.

14 hours ago, Ekona said:

Not that I disagree with you at all Rich, but why not 5w50? Wondering if your reasons agree with mine.

Its not the recommended grade ;) Nissan designed it to use 5w30

Lots of reasons but mainly the 370z engine relies heavily on oil pressure at certain points, valve control for one, cam chain tension for another but there are many, pressure is resistance to flow , thicker oil is more resistant to flow and may increase the pressure at these points.  

Generally clearances on modern engines are much better than they were and there is rarely a need to go for oil above 40w. (My V8 takes 5w20, the GT86 takes 0w20)  

Also there is no need to worry about oil breaking down due to heat in the 370z , there is a temperature safeguard that limits performance if the engine temps rise above 130 degree c , synthetic oils can cope with temps over 300 degrees c for hours. 

Finally if you have thick 50w oil in the sump your fuel economy and power will be reduced which is one of the reasons manufacturers have started to specify thinner oils (Emissions)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Richf said:

Its not the recommended grade ;) Nissan designed it to use 5w30

Lots of reasons but mainly the 370z engine relies heavily on oil pressure at certain points, valve control for one, cam chain tension for another but there are many, pressure is resistance to flow , thicker oil is more resistant to flow and may increase the pressure at these points.  

Generally clearances on modern engines are much better than they were and there is rarely a need to go for oil above 40w. (My V8 takes 5w20, the GT86 takes 0w20)  

Also there is no need to worry about oil breaking down due to heat in the 370z , there is a temperature safeguard that limits performance if the engine temps rise above 130 degree c , synthetic oils can cope with temps over 300 degrees c for hours. 

Finally if you have thick 50w oil in the sump your fuel economy and power will be reduced which is one of the reasons manufacturers have started to specify thinner oils (Emissions)

Great informative post :thumbs:

Recommended for the e92 M3 for example is 10w60, I don't fully understand that one but it's out there.

BMW recommends using Castrol TWS 10W60 oil in the following models: 2001-2006 E46 M3 (S54 engine), 2006-2010 E60 M5 & M6 (V10 S85 motor) , E9X M3 V8 S65 motor, as well as some 2000-2003 E39 M5 and Z8 cars.

Edited by davey_83