Calling all 350Z Knowledgeable FI folk! Vacuum hose question

EzeePzee

Hi folks,

I am now the proud owner of a 350Z that used to belong to MartinW on theee very forums. It has the APS TT setup plus a load of other tweaks but I have a question I’m hoping some of you may be able to shed some light on.

There is a vacuum hose near to the APS BoV/recirc valve that has a t-piece in - but one of the 3 branches of the t-piece isn’t connected to anything at all. I cannot trace 1 of the hoses as it disappears down the front of the engine bay somewhere, but the other connected hose is connected to a nipple on the bottom of the throttle body duct, just under the MAF connection.

Having found multiple installation manuals and guides on the APS site I cannot for the life of me work out why there is a t-piece nor where the other connection should go to.

Car drives great and the previous owner (Rich260) nor I could understand what this was for. With engine running, there doesn’t appear to be any suction or blowing from the open end of the t-piece either.

so do any of you have an idea? 

Thanks in advance

Edited by EzeePzee

According to this doc (which states it is for the “extreme” version of the kit, the vacuum hose I think is coming from the wastegates which are “T’eed” together under the engine.

but the other non-exteme version of the kit appears to have a boost control solenoid which sits next to the BoV. I don’t have the solenoid, but doubt I have the extreme kit either.

http://www.airpowersystems.com/350z/aps350z-tts-09/install/guide.htm

part of me just wants to remove the t or plug it up and see what happens, but I’d rather know what it is first.

Boost peak is about 0.8 bar (although that’s going on previous owner rather than personal experience - this weather doesn’t allow for boosting or driving hard) but APS recommend 8psi max (about 0.55 bar) - so maybe something else has been done outside of these guides.

any help is appreciated. Cheers. 

2 hours ago, EzeePzee said:

According to this doc (which states it is for the “extreme” version of the kit, the vacuum hose I think is coming from the wastegates which are “T’eed” together under the engine.

but the other non-exteme version of the kit appears to have a boost control solenoid which sits next to the BoV. I don’t have the solenoid, but doubt I have the extreme kit either.

http://www.airpowersystems.com/350z/aps350z-tts-09/install/guide.htm

part of me just wants to remove the t or plug it up and see what happens, but I’d rather know what it is first.

Boost peak is about 0.8 bar (although that’s going on previous owner rather than personal experience - this weather doesn’t allow for boosting or driving hard) but APS recommend 8psi max (about 0.55 bar) - so maybe something else has been done outside of these guides.

any help is appreciated. Cheers. 

Boost is indicated on the Defi gauge above the cubby. I don't follow the max .55 bar comment.. seems very low!

Mark at Abbey knows all of it

He means the turbos supply the engine with 8psi of pressurised air as per APS spec, which is 0.55bar given that 1 bar is 14.7psi. Big engines don’t really need massive amounts of boost to create big power, generally it’s diesels and small engines that run little turbos that run at high boost pressures to supply enough air. 

Any open vacuum line isnt isn’t a good thing at all, best case you’ll loose pressure and worst case you’ll run lean. Get it plugged off ASAP until you can figure it out. 

Spoken to Mark @ Abbey. This is by design due to the removal of the boost controller and piggy back ECU. It’s a controlled bleed as the standard ECU cannot control boost levels. So nothing to worry about which is good. Just looked like something was missing! :) Maybe I can fit a musical instrument to it for pure comedy affect haha! (Nb I won’t be doing this, it’s a joke)