Another - what would you get for 30-50k post.

WINKJ

Hi WinkJ, 

Lotus was the best compromised car i have had, things i loved were how quick and how stable it was, how much road presence it had. I did some track driving in it as well as fast road and wales and it nailed everything. I also purchased from Lotus Silverstone (ask for Aimee)... Even with the systems turned off it was still so intuitive - steering feedback and working aero on track... crazy :) 

I only have one poor video of it 

https://www.facebook.com/tlmotorsport/photos/a.10153534995165361.1073741834.418438790360/10158228833175361/?type=3&theater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eksdNq8hCtQ

Things i didnt like, literally the only thing i didnt like was the space between driver and passenger, its the only thing that would make me look at an evora. As you can see your elbow is close and i have quite wide shoulders.. even saying that if i hadnt needed the money out of the car to build another Z i would still have it :)

Go and test drive one

• Like 1

Just to reflect back to the GTR, after keeping a lookout for an Ultima GTR i think its going to be a real effort to find one, just due to the numbers out made so i have been doing a little more reading up on the Nissan GTR, Litchfields do a pretty comprehensive warranty so although its not the cheapest it would give peace of mind and can be factored in to cost during ownership.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Just to reflect back to the GTR, after keeping a lookout for an Ultima GTR i think its going to be a real effort to find one, just due to the numbers out made so i have been doing a little more reading up on the Nissan GTR, Litchfields do a pretty comprehensive warranty so although its not the cheapest it would give peace of mind and can be factored in to cost during ownership.

This is something i would 100% factor into cost of ownership - they also sell GTR's which i'm keeping my eye on at the moment. 

I have just had the insurance call me with a terrible figure from glass's guide as they're struggling to value it.. so it seems it's going to be a while before we reach agreement. 

I just had a chat with Litchfields circa the warranty, any cars they sell will have six months, you can then take out their yearly policy after that, there are some stipulations, they only warranty cars with less than 65k miles (but will consider higher) if the car meets the next bits,  cars they have tuned, only cars with full nissan or litchfield service. 

Re the payout, provide them with as many links as possible for similar cars for sale or sold, when they say they are struggling to value it, read they are trying to have youre pants down or get something from a Nissan dealer.

On 12/12/2017 at 16:29, WINKJ said:

This is something i would 100% factor into cost of ownership - they also sell GTR's which i'm keeping my eye on at the moment. 

I have just had the insurance call me with a terrible figure from glass's guide as they're struggling to value it.. so it seems it's going to be a while before we reach agreement. 

My insurer started a 12k on mine and we settled at 18k after I sent them loads for sale between 18 and 19 

Keep pushing mate. :)

When I part ex`d my zed a good few years back, the glasses guide was a load of rubbish. It didnt even list the HR model so it basically said my 2007 HR was worth the same as a 2007 revup model. It also didnt matter that my car had every single optional extra on it, it only gave the value for a bog standard poverty spec car which is what the dealership offered me.

As others have said, start saving copies of any adverts you see for similar age/spec/mileage cars to yours and send them over to the insurance company so they can clearly see what the market price is for your car.

7 hours ago, formatzero said:

How about a new Alpine A110 due here next year,just under £50k new,no need to worry about warranty,gets good write up and is pretty quick !

The Alpine is an interesting prospect. If they'd been available when I moved on from the Z I might have gone for one. I'm not sure the incoming version will have much of the road presence the OP is looking for. It'll be interesting to see if they follow up with a more aggressive looking version down the line.

Edited by sipar69
  • Like 1

It will have more road going presence than any Elise, Cayman or 911 as they have been around for years and are common sights, maybe not so much the Elise, whether anybody likes the look of the new Alpine, they are brand new and pretty sure any car enthusiast would appreciate just what it is, imho of course.  I feel a lot will be put off by the fact there is no manual, although i couldnt give two hoots, i am sure they will sell by the bucket load.

Much like my views on the A45 though, i just couldnt justify the new price, however, when you look at its rivals, its just another choice in the market place, which is only a good thing.

43 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

It will have more road going presence than any Elise, Cayman or 911 as they have been around for years and are common sights, maybe not so much the Elise, whether anybody likes the look of the new Alpine, they are brand new and pretty sure any car enthusiast would appreciate just what it is, imho of course.  I feel a lot will be put off by the fact there is no manual, although i couldnt give two hoots, i am sure they will sell by the bucket load.

Much like my views on the A45 though, i just couldnt justify the new price, however, when you look at its rivals, its just another choice in the market place, which is only a good thing.

I think its a pretty ugly car to be honest, and like the 4C, it will be a fad. Get something that will be different or exotic. A big engine helps :D
This is also just my opinion, but a turbo 4 is crap when I can have a bigger 6, or even a V8. The Exige ticks the most boxes for me that way, VERY rare, holds value like you wouldn't believe ( if you bought one for circa £50k, not new ) and because they are rare, and not "luxury" cars you get road presence for those in the know, and those who aren't will mistake it for high end cars :p

Oh did I mention they are stupid fast too? 

• Like 1

Looks are subjective, i think it looks awesome and being an entry model there is talk of a more aggressive version to follow.

Apart from the latest Exiges most were a 4 pot supercharged so still forced induction and after having just got out of a 4 pot supercharged VX220 after a year or more running north of 355hp and weighing under a ton that would humble V6 Exiges, yes i know they are stupid fast, but thanks for telling me ;) You can wave the V flag all day long but its a bit fruitless boasting my engines bigger than yours when a 4 pot has just left you for dead*

*Apart from the sound of course :)

Edited by Jetpilot

When I was still looking at petrol cars a GSF was very close to the top of the list. My needs are a different though, family wagon first/most important tick box. So short list were things like F10 M5, XJR Supersport rather than 2 seater toys. Saw a couple of GSFs first hand at the Lexus dealer when they were new, and it looks stonking in person, much more interesting than the usual BMW/Audi crowd.

Still surprised to see they are now going for £40K after just 12 months of been on sale, NA 5.0L V8, RWD, Lexus build quality, no one will be making these things again, add in remaining the factory warranty its alot of car for BMW 340i money!! 

wmrtwdgymovweckbuh4o.jpg

https://www.pistonheads.com/regulars/ph-spottedykywt/lexus-gs-f-spotted/37285

Edited by gangzoom

Small update - agreed a figure with insurance. I'm not buzzing about it but I think its OK. probably just above market which is all I can ask for I guess. 

now to do some saving, mulling over the next couple months and then hopefully be in something new. thanks for all your help guys and will post pics once  have the new car! ... whatever it may be (o, and no way will it be a bloody old ass continental GT :lol: )

Edited by WINKJ
  • Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 06:38, sipar69 said:

The Alpine is an interesting prospect. If they'd been available when I moved on from the Z I might have gone for one. I'm not sure the incoming version will have much of the road presence the OP is looking for. It'll be interesting to see if they follow up with a more aggressive looking version down the line.

It seems they are making one with more grunt but looks may well be the same !

On 20/12/2017 at 15:46, WINKJ said:

Small update - agreed a figure with insurance. I'm not buzzing about it but I think its OK. probably just above market which is all I can ask for I guess. 

now to do some saving, mulling over the next couple months and then hopefully be in something new. thanks for all your help guys and will post pics once  have the new car! ... whatever it may be (o, and no way will it be a bloody old ass continental GT :lol: )

Good news!

If I was in your shoes, I'd put some of the money in crypto currency, nothing silly, just a few thousands. You'll be able to afford a lot more than £40k-£50k car in a couple of years, looking at how the market goes, specially after the correction we had last 2 days. :D 

• 2 weeks later...