Another - what would you get for 30-50k post.

WINKJ

13 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

Another curve ball, how about an Alfa 4C, after doing a bit of reading over Xmas the handling can be transformed with an Alfawerks kit and with a map you are looking at 280hp. 

Would just get a V6 Exige, complete package already and won't be throwing money out the window every time you drive it. 

1 hour ago, un1eash said:

Would just get a V6 Exige, complete package already and won't be throwing money out the window every time you drive it. 

So why not just get a VX220 like i had with a Harrop or stage 4 Turbo, it will be quicker than the Lotus and fraction of the cost and you will probably make money, you will certainly loose on the Lotus.

The 4c (apart from the lights which can be changed) is achingly beautiful, the interior has more room, less spartan and far nicer than an Elise. They are two completely different cars and just for the record i would have neither, just offering some suggestions :)

GTR is a MUST own car for me! Had mine 6 years and loved it. Once I got it where I wanted it, the running costs were not too bad. 2011 car is serviced once a year, so I would be aiming for that, which is high 40s. 

Servicing is not that costly, it’s modifying and repairing that is expensive. 

AMV8 may well be next on my list, but I doubt I will be owning a car for a little while. However, I have looked at and am seriously considering another GTR for when I settle down in France, as an all round car, but not as a track car (that’s too expensive). 

Edited by grahamc

21 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

^^^ If you had 40k to spend would you honestly buy a 370z?

I did, and I love my car - but then I was limited due to insurance and not willing to spend a fortune on maintenance too.

Hell a base spec BMW 420d M sport starts around £38,5k... don't get much for your money elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Mikevv said:

I did, and I love my car - but then I was limited due to insurance and not willing to spend a fortune on maintenance too.

Hell a base spec BMW 420d M sport starts around £38,5k... don't get much for your money elsewhere. 

My BMW 123d M-Sport coupe was £36k (if i remember correctly) new back in 2011 with all its options.

2 hours ago, Mikevv said:

don't get much for your money elsewhere. 

I think this very thread is the example that you can get a hell of a lot more elsewhere imho, i dont think there is a single car mentioned i wouldnt have over a 370z, mind you i would have preferred to have my supercharged 350 at a 1/4 of the price of a 370 :)

On 1/4/2018 at 07:51, un1eash said:

Thanks for this - the more i think about the Lotus the more it just makes me want a GTR :lol: - Id prefer a newer car also tbh and am not afraid of losing a little money for the privilege. 

On 1/4/2018 at 09:24, Jetpilot said:

So why not just get a VX220 like i had with a Harrop or stage 4 Turbo, it will be quicker than the Lotus and fraction of the cost and you will probably make money, you will certainly loose on the Lotus.

The 4c (apart from the lights which can be changed) is achingly beautiful, the interior has more room, less spartan and far nicer than an Elise. They are two completely different cars and just for the record i would have neither, just offering some suggestions :)

I'm sure the VX is a very capable car but just no something id ever consider, they're too old, lack road presence, don't look particularly great etc. 

the 4c just looks to feminine for me tbh - i prefer something with a meaner looking road presence. I know i'm a pain in the arse with how picky i'm being but I just want something with road presence, aggressive, (not american), has some showmanship about it and theatre. I'd also like something relatively rare, and new! im struggling to get past a GTR, another 370z Nismo or the exige 350 (but the concern Lotus could fold at any point doesn't help there). 

On 1/4/2018 at 15:18, grahamc said:

GTR is a MUST own car for me! Had mine 6 years and loved it. Once I got it where I wanted it, the running costs were not too bad. 2011 car is serviced once a year, so I would be aiming for that, which is high 40s. 

Servicing is not that costly, it’s modifying and repairing that is expensive. 

AMV8 may well be next on my list, but I doubt I will be owning a car for a little while. However, I have looked at and am seriously considering another GTR for when I settle down in France, as an all round car, but not as a track car (that’s too expensive). 

I've always LOVED GTR's. the feeling I get when I see them, hear them etc just makes it everything I want from a car, but I find myself looking at them for 45-50k. 

21 hours ago, teejay said:

why not another nismo 370z?????????

funny you should say that - i'm thinking that more and more now lol 

6 hours ago, Mikevv said:

I also did with my previous mk1, i love the z and find it difficult to find something that competes. 

Edited by WINKJ

Not read all the posts but has anyone mentioned the new alpine A110. On sale this year around 50k i think. OP was asking for a 2 seater with presence. Looks may be subjective but i think it looks great and geared up to rival the cayman. 

Just throwing it into the hat, should be a rare sight also

15 minutes ago, G1en@waxandshine said:

Not read all the posts but has anyone mentioned the new alpine A110. On sale this year around 50k i think. OP was asking for a 2 seater with presence. Looks may be subjective but i think it looks great and geared up to rival the cayman. 

Just throwing it into the hat, should be a rare sight also

yep, a couple of suggested that - so have friends but the look just doesn't sit right with me unfortunately but a good suggestion none the less. 

at the moment my head is with a GTR (if I can stretch to one i'd be happy with). I made the mistake of seeing a cayman gt4 today which looks like the perfect car for me, apart from the price. 

i've noticed you can get low millage relatively new M4's for around 35k now, not sure how much more they're going to depreciate but I do like the look, masculine, aggressive stance, capable. BUT I am not sure if I can get past its practicality and the fact its a BMW. need to test drive one I guess!

Edit: plus not sure if the m4 has enough road presence?

Edited by WINKJ

Early ones (i.e. not the LCI ones) handle like garbage as the suspension is dreadful. Unless you enjoy trying not to kill yourself on every single trip, I wouldn't bother. I consider myself a reasonably capable driver, but the two I drove were just spiteful.

That said, the newer ones are supposed to be significantly better. And even then, I'd still buy a 235i/240i over any M4 as they're just so much more fun to drive.

• Like 1

If an M4 doesnt have enough road presence I suggest a battle tank of some sort :lol: They arent like old M cars though, very big and heavy and apparently struggle for traction a lot. 

If you like a GT4 Cayman, why not a GTS, or S instead?

On 06/01/2018 at 20:07, Ekona said:

Early ones (i.e. not the LCI ones) handle like garbage as the suspension is dreadful. Unless you enjoy trying not to kill yourself on every single trip, I wouldn't bother. I consider myself a reasonably capable driver, but the two I drove were just spiteful.

That said, the newer ones are supposed to be significantly better. And even then, I'd still buy a 235i/240i over any M4 as they're just so much more fun to drive.

Dan, due to a change in circumstances (personal ones), I'm not in a position to wait any longer than 2 weeks for a car. To keep me in a car, I'm looking at 235i and golf r until I can get something else later in the year with some saving. It's a shame I'm having to do this as I wanted to take my time and save, but if I can get a 235i for around 24k then i won't lose much on it when it comes to sell. I hope. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WINKJ said:

Dan, due to a change in circumstances (personal ones), I'm not in a position to wait any longer than 2 weeks for a car. To keep me in a car, I'm looking at 235i and golf r until I can get something else later in the year with some saving. It's a shame I'm having to do this as I wanted to take my time and save, but if I can get a 235i for around 24k then i won't lose much on it when it comes to sell. I hope. 

The current M2/3/4, 140/340i all are using essentially the same drivetrain as the previous gen 135/335i.

Your loss ALOT less in depreciation on a older 135/335 than a £24k 235i.

If its just a stand in i would echo what unleash says, go with the 135i, nothing wrong with the 235i etc but think you would loose more on that :) and absolutely agree with Ekona, either of those over a Golf anyday.

Edited by Jetpilot

On 13/01/2018 at 13:11, gangzoom said:

The current M2/3/4, 140/340i all are using essentially the same drivetrain as the previous gen 135/335i.

Your loss ALOT less in depreciation on a older 135/335 than a £24k 235i.

Cant agree with this enough, the M135i's are mad bargains for what they are at the moment and in reality are no different from the current cars and are far, far better than the Golf R. And there are plenty out there, www.babybmw.net is the best UK site IMO :)

• Like 1

I’ve got a Porsche 911 turbo as a weekend Car 

Also just bought a new 2018 370 Nismo as a daily to replace my BMW M4 competition pack.

Ive also previously owned a 2011 R35 GTR, 2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 2010 V12 Vantge, along with a 2016 BMW M2, Porsche 997 C2S and a load of other BMW Mcars Mercedes AMG, Toyota Supra twin turbo and other high performance cars.

A number of these cars are discussed in the above thread, more than welcome to send me a PM if you want any info regarding my experience owning any of these cars.

On 15/01/2018 at 14:18, docwra said:

Cant agree with this enough, the M135i's are mad bargains for what they are at the moment and in reality are no different from the current cars and are far, far better than the Golf R. And there are plenty out there, www.babybmw.net is the best UK site IMO :)

The BMW 135i and 140i are great cars, however they really need an aftermarket diff fitted to sort out the flaws in their handling.

Also the looks are an acquired taste, 240i looks so much better.

Golf R is a fantastic car but so boring to drive.

Also the RS Focus Mk3 is a bargain at the moment due to the engine issues. However buying an used one for around £23k with a 5 year warranty would also be a no brainier since I’ve heard Ford have managed to find a solution to the engine problems. Also their are a hoot to drive, probably the most exciting hot Hatch.

Edited by Bikeracer