Bench vices and drills

evilscorp

About to kit myself out again with some more tools for xmas.

Needing opinions on bench vices; needs to be large enough to fit a 350z diff in (150mm should cope) as I struggled to tighten the ring gear last time without one. Ebay jobbies are around £35-40 machine mart is about £40-50. I presume the swivel type is a no go so probably fixed so I can put a bit of force behind it.

Also looking at a bench drill for the valve guides; needs to be tallish so I can fit the cylinder head under it, these seem to be about £100?

I know some of you have big boy tools but I am a hobbiest so doesn't need to build the titanic.

Cheers

A bench vice at that sort of money should be OK - I'll measure mine later and let you know how big it is, I've not tried the rotary ones so not sure how strong they are - I hammer mine though :blush:

Yer - not had a lot of luck with pillar drills, I bought a cheap(ish) one about £50 iirc and it's OK but struggles with any heavy metal jobs, I only use it for small jobs, ally and wood now - but I'm lucky as I got a drill chuck with my milling machine so not looked at getting a better one. I don't think any of them won't do valves but check the chuck to pillar as well as the chuck to table distance as that may make a cylinder head a tight fit!

Good luck - I put tools on my crimbo list as well :lol:  :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

Yeah I need to go re measure the cylinder head so I know it will fit in the gap, the stuff we have at work is great, big draper 16mm chuck but it’s £250 so hopefully the next one down should do.

Its a no6 (can’t remember the brand) we use at work but same again price is about £250. So Chinese copy at £50 is worth a punt from eBay? Likewise I will hit mine with a hammer so needs to be sturdy.

A miling machine is factory shenanigans! Not the home diy’r.

24 minutes ago, evilscorp said:

A miling machine is factory shenanigans! Not the home diy’r

But I am a home diy'r :lol:

Welcome to pop by and borrow it mate, that will do ya valves ;)

My vice is proper old school made in England solid as you like - 8" don't think I have found anything I haven't been able to fit but can't remember trying a diff in there!

IMG_1061.JPG.351fa258e78a051460bf0d4eba0626e8.JPG

IMG_1062.JPG.110639fa83f6da94122484c6b451206a.JPG

To be fair I originally got my pillar drill for wood work and it does that OK but as you say it won't be a patch on a proper £250 one - I would like a better one but I can use the mill - I'm just being lazy as I have to change out the chuck each time :blush:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

O and if it's just for valves and the head will fit in then yes a cheap one will do valves although you really need one with reverse as you should lap valves both directions, You can get an attachment for a cordless drill to do valves which is what I used but I have worn it out - need a new one - that's may be a better option then finish by hand - can't beat hand lapping unless you have some serious machine shop tools :thumbs:

Ive got the same vice as keyser. Got it from a carboot sale or auction if I remember for hardly anything. Its pretty much indestructable. The amount of hub bearings and stuff ive done in it. I use a length of scaffold pole on the vice handle to use it as a press. :lol:

My dads also got the same vice but with slightly wider jaws. He must have had it for at least 50 years.

I use a cheap homebase pillar drill, only cos my parents bought me it for Christmas one year. Like keyser says, ideal for small jobs, but I wouldnt use it for anything substantial.

You lot and your tools are ace, I’ve got a little diff casing table made but I need the vice for tightening up the ring gear on the actual diff. 

The Pilar drill is not for lapping (I have that tool already lol) it’s for drilling out the valve guides so I can then use my tap and a bolt to remove them from the cylinder head to allow the new ferrea valve guides in.

most of the big old vices on eBay won’t post :-( so probably have to buy a new one but as you say they don’t make them like they used to.

I`ve got a similar very old/large/solid vice on a very solid and heavy workbench which I managed to obtain when I started work at Gardner Diesel Engines in the 70s from one of the old machine shops that got closed.

Still going strong after 40 years  (plus however many years before I got it)  and moved both around with me to 5 different houses now.