Nissan soft paint ?

Gary62

I ve read somewhere in the past that Nissan paint is soft ,fact or myth.? I'm picking up my black 370z on Sat but expect it will need some paint correction done,once I ve given it a close inspection. Any tips on the best product combinations for black Nissan paint.

I'll take that as my cue to chime in. :D

Yep, the paint used on Z's is very soft, so you'll find you don't need anything particularly abrasive to correct. My personal preference is Scholl S20 & S30+ for a 2 stage polish on Lake Country Hydro-Tech pads (tangerine & crimson) on a DA.

A very viable alternative would be Menz polishes (PO203/2500 and PO85RD/3800), the oiliness works well on soft paint but the Scholls are better.

• Like 1

Another fan of the Scholl stuff here. Doesn't contain fillers, so what you see is what you get.

S17+ can also be helpful on some of the tougher scratches, or if you have had a panel resprayed. I use that a lot, it's my go-to polish that does wonders on most paints. I'd be happy recommending that for a beginner on a DA on the Zed, but not on a rotary unless you've had previous experience. S30 far more forgiving, even on a rotary.

Brilliant guys thanks for the tips ...both previous cars were Mercedes so rock hard paint.I use a DA and prefer the no fillers option you mention .lets me see if I'm getting better at using it.well currently on my way to pick the car up. As I said I'll post up some close ups of the paintwork.fingers crossed they have made a good job of it pre sale but I doubt it.

Paintwork looks pretty good only real issue  are the stone chips on the front bumper .There are loads but having read through many posts on here it seems it's pretty normal on the Zeds,so it looks like first job will be a front bumper/valance respray.Gotta say the 80 mile drive home after picking it up was fantastic.Exhaust was not as throaty as I expected (OE) on it so second job will be an aftermarket exhaust (I'm thinking a Cobra)) and possibly  remap of some kind but I will leave that until the Spring .I need to do a bit more reading and asking for help on here before I decide to do that'. Iam kinda thinking that the bumper should not chip as much after the respray due to better paint than Nissan used when new. However the shape of the front end tends to draw stone chips.Has anyone noticed a difference after a bumper respray.?

I had my front bumper resprayed and still got stone chips - apparently the paint takes a few weeks to properly harden so if you can resist driving it for a while if you are that concerned. Otherwise the only other way to prevent it is to wrap it in a clear vinyl. 

As Coldel says, stone chips are par for the course due to the shape of the car I'm afraid. The hardness of the paint won't stop that, and having softer paint doesn't make much of a difference to stone chips - it's usually more minor damage such as susceptibility to marring & RDS than impact damage like stones.

New paint may take a few weeks/months to fully cure, but that will depend entirely on the paint and methods used from what I understand (I don't know as much as I should about putting paint on, I'm more used to taking it off :lol: ), so PPF is the best option for preventing chips once the paint is fully cured. With applications these days they can be fairly invisible for a good few years, but of course you very much get what you pay for.

• 1 month later...

Just agreeing with the above, certainly soft paint on these cars.

My tried and tested combo on this paint is, Megiuars 105 and 205, matching microfibre cutting and finishing pad.

PPF on the front bumper would be a sound investment!