Ross' new 350z operation 1jz gte

Ross k

Few more updates got the oil cooler fitted to the engine fitted new front and rear main seal and test fitted the flywheel. Then I took the air con pump apart so I can use the housing to support the power steering pump, removed the throttle pedal ready for an s14 pedal. Then I modified the front section to receive the supra rad I've brought I got it second hand fairly cheap so I thought I would give it a go and if it doesnt work I'll sell it on it,  fits fairly well and was designed for the engine and means I don't have to run a super long bottom hose. Heres a few pics of what I've got so far also a pic of the aluminium ready to make the engine mounts 

DSC_0438.JPG

DSC_0446.JPG

DSC_0455.JPG

DSC_0428.JPG

DSC_0433.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Few more updates fitted a new oil pump last week removed lower and upper sump cleaned up an resealed.  All looks good Inside the engine oil strainer was clean etc also got the flywheel test fitted with the clutch and worked out a few measurements all looks good.  finally I made some dowel pins up and fitted them to the adaptor plate please excuse the unorthodox was of stripping to the bottom of the engine down but with it sitting on the adaptor plate it worked a treat 

DSC_0468.JPG

DSC_0471.JPG

DSC_0473.JPG

• Like 1

Good day today the engine fits lovely with the new mounts. I also ran the power steering pipe across and did alot of little jobs.  you can remove the manifold and Inlet with the engine in position which is a bonus unfortunatlly the engine isn't sitting quite level so I will need to sort that out here's a few pics thanks Ross 

DSC_0495.JPG

DSC_0494.JPG

You're so lucky having an in house fabricator to make this stuff.........top work on those mounts!

Looks like a good fit and a bonus that you're still able to work around it once in.  Although I bet it's about to get really tight when you start to install exhaust, turbo air intake, intercooler pipework etc etc!!!

Its all part of the fun though!!

On 2/26/2018 at 22:31, Ross k said:

Well small update rad purchased and on the way the mounts are being made done a few small jobs on the car and I have been tracking down various jz parts which cost the earth  I need to change the fuel system to a return system Ive seen of the shelf kits for this but they seem a bit wasted on me as I don't need all the parts for the standard 350 fuel rail anyone who could advise on this would be appreciated and wether I can make the kit up myself thanks Ross

I made my own fuel return system the only fiddly bit is making up an adapter

20160612_165118.jpg.4a049ce5d26bde0521441dfc65eccf24.jpg

20160612_165333.jpg.485eab860410e103f319e9f8cc2aedae.jpg

20160612_202228.jpg.363d5445946d0b2eec440412c83387f4.jpg

20160701_170551.jpg.f312740c8525c0776729fe73018ff5e2.jpg

to replace the standard regulator in the fuel bucket run a return line for the fuel, throw in an external regulator and away you go but nothing too difficult really if you really want to give it a go I''l sort out what info I have for you.

:)

Cheers for the help but I brought the cj fuel correction kit in the end for the fuel bucket  but I appreciate the advice. Less successful day today trying to work out the gearbox mount also discovered my mishimoto fans won't fit as I only have around 50mm clearance does anyone have any recommendations for very slim pull fans thanks Ross 

Well not much to update ran the return line front to back u also checked bonnet clearance etc and it's all good I thought you guys may find this pic interesting with the strut brace fitted.  It shows the clearance and how much lower the engine sits to the standard de. I also did some crude measurements and I think the 1jz sits around 1 and a half inches further forward than the de and the shifter is 140mm further back than standard so the extra weight should be spread fairly even I also ordered a gearbox mount from America so I'm waiting for that to arrive. 

IMG_20180402_172117_382.jpg

FB_IMG_1522611137441.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the kind comments guys progress has been slow. My crossmember from America arrived tried that on and it fits perfectly with our engine mounts which is a result. Also checked the angle of the diff compared to the gearbox for prop allignment please to say they are aligned within 2 degrees I've Been told anything below 5 is good so happy days. After this I pulled the engine again Ive bolted the flywheel up and clutch up for the final time and got the gearbox bolted UP, next time the engine goes in it will be for the final time. After this I ran the power steering return pipe and tapped the crossmember for the bracket I'm happy with how these turned out hope you like thanks Ross 

DSC_0524.JPG

DSC_0528.JPG

Engine change modifying can be very time consuming (took as 2 years to put the V8 in a 350) but  it's coming along well, those mounts are B)

Keep us updated and good luck :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the comments keyser as you say time seems to disappear. Anyway I really could do with some help I'm trying to sort the fuel lines out I have ran a return line under the car and I have it coming up where the other fuel lines run I have to get the fuel lines to the other side of the engine bay I was planning to run the line up into the cavity where the brake servo etc is and then across to the other side in this area is this a good idea. I also don't know what to do with the evap line some people say get rid of it etc any help would be great also may sound stupid but can someone point out which line is which thanks Ross 

DSC_0604.JPG

18 minutes ago, Ross k said:

Cheers for the comments keyser as you say time seems to disappear. Anyway I really could do with some help I'm trying to sort the fuel lines out I have ran a return line under the car and I have it coming up where the other fuel lines run I have to get the fuel lines to the other side of the engine bay I was planning to run the line up into the cavity where the brake servo etc is and then across to the other side in this area is this a good idea. I also don't know what to do with the evap line some people say get rid of it etc any help would be great also may sound stupid but can someone point out which line is which thanks Ross 

DSC_0604.JPG

The evap line should be the one nearest the back

:)

Well a fairly successful weekend on the zed first thing was to run the fuel lines to the other side of the engine bay which I've done. After that my short shifter arrived from America so I got that fitted and tested and then welded up its a good bit of kit and I could get all the gears perfectly. Next everything back together finally the manifold inlet etc and dropped the engine back in for the last time bolted the engine all in finally unfortunatlly the shifter doesn't sit quite central and sits a bit further back than I like I may just live with this as it functions perfectly. Got the engine wired up aswell which was surprisingly straight forward now it was all going well till I tested the drive shaft and realised the uj on the new shaft is bigger than the old one meaning it fouls on the tube on the rear of the gear box so at this point I gave up for today. 

DSC_0610.JPG

DSC_0609.JPG

DSC_0614.JPG

DSC_0616.JPG

• Like 1

Right guys after some advice does anyone know how to remove the tube of the rear of the gearbox, where the propshaft yoke slides in I presume its a guard to stop dirt going into the oil seal, you can just about see it underneath the shifter in this picture. Also does anyone know how much play a standard 350z driveshaft has in it as in if you hold the propshaft up with one end in the gearbox and the other unbolted but in position on the diff how much would it move left to right hope that makes sense. 

DSC_0609.JPG

Edited by Ross k

A few more things done on the zed firstly got the fuel return line plumbed into the fuel rail then i finished up the power steering system. I needed a new resvoir as I had to relocate it to the other side of the engine bay after looking at aftermarket ones for 100 pound plus I came across a mini one for 15 quid with bracket it's worked spot on and looks decent also got the tube out the back of gearbox allowing me to work the prop out and just done smaller finish up jobs 

DSC_0620.JPG

DSC_0621.JPG

• Like 1