DIY carbon parts for the interior.

Ortega_9

Well, I had bought a few carbon parts, but they never fitted right, and the quality sucked..
So wanted to give it a go with making my own parts.

I wanted to make a mould and make completely new parts, but that seemend like ALOT more work for just making my own pieces, so decided to give it a go with the carbon skinning process.

I did the inside doorhandle trim, the top of the speedo, the gauge pod tops and the steering wheel inserts.

It was abit of a laybor intensive job, but i´m pretty pleased the way the turned out.

Here are the door handle inserts from start to finish...

IMG_2250.JPG

IMG_2253.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2277.JPG

IMG_2281.JPG

IMG_2292.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ortega_9 said:

Ty.

and p15ul t, it is ALL about the time.... 

Yeah I’ve tried a few moulds but they just don’t come out perfect.  The vacuum bagging worked a little better.  Just need to set aside a few days to do it properly :)

56 minutes ago, P15UL T said:

Yeah I’ve tried a few moulds but they just don’t come out perfect.  The vacuum bagging worked a little better.  Just need to set aside a few days to do it properly :)

Haven't done much Carbon, mostly fibreglass. But this skinning thing is great for ugly plastic parts. WAY better then the old rattlecan paintjob.

• Like 1

looks awesome, this is my plan going forward as well! Did you get the sheets from the carbon mods/easy composites place? Which weave and weight did you go for?

I fancy doing mine then when it's super glossy and nice spraying it with a satin finish, that should mean it's easily re-finishable and gives it a slightly swanky look.

4 hours ago, MDMetal said:

looks awesome, this is my plan going forward as well! Did you get the sheets from the carbon mods/easy composites place? Which weave and weight did you go for?

I fancy doing mine then when it's super glossy and nice spraying it with a satin finish, that should mean it's easily re-finishable and gives it a slightly swanky look.

Thanks.

its ALL from easy composites. They have a complete skinning kit. That is enough for some, but you need more fabric and resins for the bigger stuff.

Edited by Ortega_9

2 minutes ago, Ortega_9 said:

Thanks.

its ALL from easy composites. They have i complete skinning kit. That is enough for some, but you need more fabric and resins for the bigger stuff.

Nifty, the splitter was with 1 single sheet no join?

Just now, Ortega_9 said:

I planned on doing it in one piece, but i ended up joining two pieces. You Can see it a little bit on one of the pictures. 

Still looks awesome, I did wonder how you did the little cubby hole in the door handles, looks like you just cut the sheet as best you could and polished the inside? That's the bit the scares me!

1 minute ago, MDMetal said:

Still looks awesome, I did wonder how you did the little cubby hole in the door handles, looks like you just cut the sheet as best you could and polished the inside? That's the bit the scares me!

Thanks.... i did indeed cut the Carbon, but first after the first 4 layers of clear.

and then i masked the Carbon of, and painted the cubbyhole (and Window button holes) with Black resin and then coated everything with a final layer of clear resin.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think you have done a fantastic job! I was going to try skinning my centre console and cubby along with the door switch plates but ended up covering in suede. But I want to skin my new front splitter so I have to get the courage to attempt such a large item on my first try! 

Again, well done, I like it alot. :thumbs:

• Thanks 1