Squeak when cold & Idle

JB33

So, I’ve noticed a very faint squeak from the engine area but only when cold and ticking over. Doesn’t get louder with increasing RPM. 

Driven it for 10 minutes to get it hot and the squeak is now gone. 

Many ideas what it might be? 

Possibly drive belts if it's a bit of a squeal? My belts were slightly slack, even though they were nearly new when I got the car, so tightened them slightly and the squeal went away!

Check the belts for cracks or signs of wear, if you have no record of the belts being changed, it might be worth considering and get into contact with one of the traders on here! :thumbs:

28 minutes ago, reeceybeaney said:

Possibly drive belts if it's a bit of a squeal? My belts were slightly slack, even though they were nearly new when I got the car, so tightened them slightly and the squeal went away!

Check the belts for cracks or signs of wear, if you have no record of the belts being changed, it might be worth considering and get into contact with one of the traders on here! :thumbs:

Thanks. 

My latest service noted the ancillary drive belt was slightly discoloured but fine other than that. Don’t think there are other belts?

Edited by JB33

John,

Only one belt on this car and it is self adjusting.

Check the notches on the self adjuster to determine if the belt is stretched.

To eliminate the belt or pulleys, Just remove the belt (2 second job) and try your cold start with the belt off.

Alex.

• Thanks 1