Dreaded knocking noise-is banana bush gone?

Stafford_Mart

Hiya 

Having now been struck down with the dreaded knocking noise from the front suspension and thanks to Z Attack who has supplied a picture of a new banana arm I now know what I'm looking for. I had the car checked out today and was told that everything was as tight as a drum and next months MOT was a formality....but didn't know where the knocking was. So I've had the wheels off myself and took a couple of pics of the arm bushes. They look solid but seem to have something around the outside of the bush that looks like its coming out. I don't want to look a complete prat but is this the bush on its way out or do they look normal.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Mart.

IMAG0785.jpg

IMAG0781.jpg

It'll be the ball joint that's the problem meaning replacement of the complete arm ... my advice ? bite the bullet and replace the offending side ... and then save up to get the other side done

It's notoriously difficult to diagnose the knocking compression rod problem !!!

Hi ATTAK Z

Thanks so much for the advice, I'll see how much the garage charges and get both done at the same time.

In your opinion is it worth getting some poly bushes and starting the gradual replacement of stock ones....pushing the banana ones out of the new units and gradually doing the control arm and upper wishbone arm.

Incidently, my apologies for getting yur name back to front....oops.

3 minutes ago, Stafford_Mart said:

Hi ATTAK Z

Thanks so much for the advice, I'll see how much the garage charges and get both done at the same time.

In your opinion is it worth getting some poly bushes and starting the gradual replacement of stock ones....pushing the banana ones out of the new units and gradually doing the control arm and upper wishbone arm.

Incidently, my apologies for getting yur name back to front....oops.

No worries on the name ... @Zmanalex amongst others is your man for further advice on the subject of bushes ... 

Hi Mart,

In case you need more clarifications on the bushes, have a look on this page here: 

We also carry in stock all bushes and arms required for the 350z.

https://www.torqen.uk/53-arms-links

https://www.torqen.uk/57-bushes

Also worth mentioning, some bushes and banana arms are included in our Black Friday sale, see here: 

https://www.torqen.uk/638-blackfriday

Adrian

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update on the above suspension knocks. Had the car serviced this morning and MOT'd too. Also had the banana arms replaced and guess what.....that knocking is still there. Now having a bit more exploratory work carried out to try and get to the bottom of this. Otherwise I suspect the radio will be on full blast for a while until it is sorted.

Worst thing with any problems is the not knowing.

I think that might narrow things down a bit. The banana arm bushes were on the way out anyway so no money wasted there.

It isn't a real heavy clunk, lighter, more like someone hitting the chassis with a small spanner. it doesn't happen over speed bumps or pot holes either.

Is there any other way to confirm that it's the drop links?

Edited by Stafford_Mart

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and belated Merry Christmas.

Good news...got a pair of drop links (Bilstein Febi) and got them fitted this morning at a local tyre and service centre for £30. The rattling is now deceased and just road noise and purring V6 to listen to now.

Thanks to all who advised me on this. I can finally start on the things I want to tidy up now....door trims, sound deadening and a nice "Z" partition panel for the boot that I've seen on the forum.

Happy Z018 guys.