ITS HERE....

AMT

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/11/21/New-Aston-Martin-Vantage-Revealed-With-Athletic-Looks-And-AMG-Power-7742111/

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2018-aston-martin-vantage-unveiled

VIDEO - https://youtu.be/GqFb0ssFM1o

Been looking forward to this (raids piggy bank.. and the pensioners next door :lol: ). 

So lets get to it, I'm 'hefty' design orientated in my 'opinions' so stay with me... it is an Aston after all so it should look good! (and it does).

Scroll down to ignore the luminous yellow one... :yuck: and you'll find other pics of a grey one :teeth:

- Overall shape and profile (it has a tail!) modern but still looks like a small GT, def Vantage when you see it. You can't be curvy forever, bit of modern design comes with some sharp styling it seems.

- Rear lights. I suspect they'll be subjective with people but I think they work, especially with the rear haunches... gotta have hips to create a squat impression (and low roof line)

- Bulge in the bonnet... who doesn't like a power bulge?

- Big front end, looks imposing (however... see below*)

- You can't argue with 500+hp

- £120K? Not bad considering money and cars are moving 'up' the way and the amount of tech in them these days. Think the original was £80K odds?

- Prob will sound ok... I'm guessing

- The position of the PRND and start buttons, look well placed if not perched on fussy surroundings.

- The way the grill surround sticks out separately around the front (like they have done on some of the last Vantages/Vanquish)

DISLIKES:

- The way the exhaust pipes look tiny cos' of the over-sized bumper design, could have been a bit smaller or I think, if you brought the pipes into the middle somewhat it'd maybe help?

- The front lights, ok with the shape and proportion but I thought we'd have some sort of fancy DRL's but you get these crappy side light parts that look a bit rubbish IMO

- *The grill.... yes I like that its creating a statement but the whole mesh look, I'm not so sure, could have been done smaller to reduce the 'impact; of it but I dunno..  whole lotta' mesh goin' on there...

- The 'Aston' side strake... quite large, and the yellow car doesn't help it with being all black, but thankfully it seems (from the grey one) you can have it body coloured, which works fine.

- The interior - IMO Aston's should have a nice uncluttered (I know they've had button fests before) dash that flows, loved the waterfall ones, this one looks a bit fussy and stuck together..trying to hard almost.

- THAT bloody screen, I'll admit they've done a better job nestling it in  than Mercs terrible looking 'stuck on' screen but I think that could be hidden tbh.

- Same goes for the Merc finger touch scroll control thingy in the middle, tried it myself, just a bit of nonsense.

- They persist on putting seat controls at your knee - I've been in a few and I can see why it would be annoying... on the door please!!

Overall a good looker I think, just could be doing with a bit less exaggeration in the design to help other parts stand out, but my favourite part is the rear profile (despite the big difusser/bumper effort), the hips and lights work well. I'll have one...in that grey and as soon as Aston Edinburgh have one in, I'll be down to pour over it :)

WHAT DO WE THINK?... 

Edited by AMT

I ... I don't like your opinion Dan....  :dry::lol::lol:

I agree there are messy parts as above but I consider it better still than the DB11, theres just something about the DB11 I can't like... mostly its arse. 

Edited by AMT

As I mentioned in the other thread (you just really love it having 2 threads in 2 days) the back looks unfinished with the matte trim being so high. Aston’s should be things of beauty, sweeping curves

The front looks like something from an old school racing game 

Quite like the rear lights and the side profile. Other than that thumbs down from me. Not feeling the new gen Aston’s 

I do get it as I pointed out its a bit exaggerated but I'm going to guess they don't want to live in the past with flowing lines cos' then it'd just be a repeat with slightly different looks. I can see why they are doing the change and I'm glad they are seperating the looks between it and the DB11.  My fav Aston would be a 2013 model year in grey, curvy but still has some modern touches.  This is still an Aston, still a decent looking car it just maybe a bit more modern...or should I say futuristic than expected. Bold... shall we say.  

I'm still not digging the DB11... I'd rather, if out the two... pick the Vantage.  Certainly over an AMG GT or 911.  Perhaps seeing it in the flesh will enhance my view ...or ruin it lol

Edited by AMT

I like aspects of it, but dislike others.... the grille is horrible and cheap! Exhausts I noticed immediately as well.... but good performance figures. I am guessing that it would be a similar price to the next GTR (which may or may not be hybrid powered and 700bhp) in which case, the price is quite good. Aston has more of brand image than the GTR, so I think it should do quite well.

I prefer the old one though, so will find myself one of them soon (ish)!

Put it this way, that’s the same price bracket as an R8 or a 540C, and I’d damn as hell take either of those over this. 

I cant help but wonder if this was designed as a race car first, and a road car second. Aston aren’t shy about pushing their racing credentials these days, so I wonder if they’d decided to make the best racer possible so it would sell more road cars? Don’t know. 

I dont think Green does it any favours, in a nice dark or black colour your wouldnt have the grill standing out so much or the fins on the back. It doesn't look anywhere near as stunning as previous incarnations which had a hulking and hunkered down powerful look to them, this looks a bit 'flimsy' if there is any word for it. The small headlights on the front look terrible and give it no presence at all.

• Like 1

I honestly dont think the pics do it justice.... I was always 50/50 on the DB11 from the pics, but when I saw it for real, it was awesome!

Audi R8 is boring - looks like the TT on the road

BMW 540C - I wouldnt even consider buying one, just a road going barge

And lastly, thats yellow, not green..................

Edited by grahamc

I know I'm not going to be very popular, but I don't like it :lol:

1. Needs lowering, it has a 4 x 4 off road setup 

2017-11-22_10-59-42.jpeg

2. The front grill looks so damn cheap, horrible!

2017-11-22_11-02-19.jpeg

3. Wheels look a size to big, but it might be because of the wide lens used in shooting the video.

2017-11-22_11-05-33.jpeg

4. Rear diffuser looks cheap and hideous, too. It will probably age very badly from the salt on the roads and the high humidity.

2017-11-22_11-06-53.jpeg

2017-11-22_11-08-12.jpeg

I quite like the interior setup, although not in that leather colour shown in the video. Over £120k sounds expensive for this car. 

haha Adrian, .... arrows and all!  :lol:  I also think the same of the wheels being a size too big, with a short wheel base it can look out of place.

I wouldn't take an R8, they look pretty dull.  I like McLaren just not 540C McLaren... used 650/12C...  (mind you the GT makes the base McLaren look better with its roof).

I cant help but wonder if this was designed as a race car first, and a road car second. Aston aren’t shy about pushing their racing credentials these days, so I wonder if they’d decided to make the best racer possible so it would sell more road cars? Don’t know. 

I think I agree (can you believe it) with this and see why you'd think that way, good point Dan!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grahamc said:

I honestly dont think the pics do it justice.... I was always 50/50 on the DB11 from the pics, but when I saw it for real, it was awesome!

Audi R8 is boring - looks like the TT on the road

BMW 540C - I wouldnt even consider buying one, just a road going barge

And lastly, thats yellow, not green..................

The official colour is called Lime Essence, which I would have assumed is a shade of green. If it was called Lemon Essence...

• Haha 1

Mmmm, interesting, from some angles i think it looks awesome, others i am not so sure, so after completely changing my opinion on the Nsx once i had seen one in the flesh, so sitting on the fence here.

Seeing as the R8 was raised i think its the most boring looking supercar on the market, so anything is better than that dull shapeless dross., even a 911 and every time i see one of them i slip into a mini coma :lol:

Edited by Jetpilot

The side view of the new Vantage is great, however it just carries on from where the others left off. The front and back seem to have conflicting messages, front looks flimsy and plain with no aggression, back looks confused and cheap.