Euro Trip for the first time

Spatt

I wondered if anyone could give some advice on driving on the continent

the AA have a helpful guide for what to bring (such as the triangle and high vis vest) they also specify documents you need which is handy.

I live in the northwest and my plan was to drive to Hull to get an overnight ferry to Rotterdam. from there a long drive to Stuttgart staying for a couple of nights.

the ferry means that i can sleep and wake up fresh in Rotterdam however this is expensive! looking around £230 for the car and two adults and a cabin.

Alternatively i could take the channel tunnel from Folkestone but this is around £80 and it would take a full day out of my journey to get there. it also means that i would have very little sleep and arrive in Europe tired which i dont think it a good idea considering its my first time

Can anyone give me advice on crossing into mainland Europe, whats the best value for me?

I also want advice on a route, the plan was to hit Germany, black forest, Switzerland (as many passes as possible staying in Zermatt for at least one night. heading on down to Italy but i have no idea where to stay or what to see. theres 6 of us going so a nice villa would be ideal in somewhere quiet.

would be grateful to gain some advice from some of those who have experienced such a trip.

Matt

I’ve done the Chunnel a couple of times from North England and found it was most relaxing to stay in a travel tavern that night in the UK and then get the train first thing, fresh and ready for a day of driving across Europe. You can smash a big driving day straight away then and get some mileage done. I’ve also done the Hull ferry to Belgium and slept for the night of the crossing (which also saves you one night accommodation when considering the cost) and that was pretty sweet waking up ready to go in the land of waffles.

If I was going North toward Scandinavia, I’d deffo get the ferry and sleep on the way over. If I was going south or east in Europe I’d base it on where you want your first night’s stop over to be in Europe. If your first destination abroad is 8 hours from the coast, then get the ferry. If it’s just an hour from Calais, then get the chunnel after the drive down England and have your first night on the Continent.

• Like 1

Iv been over twice now, personally I get eurotunnel over because its quicker in time but also more miles and driving for you.

I got the eurotunnel and stayed in Bruges for a night then when to Amsterdam for a few nights then to the ring last year. It took me 9 hours to get from my house to Bruges including tunnel and a few stops. This year I got eurotunnel again stayed in Lille in an f1 hotel then it was an easy 4 hour drive to the ring for me, again it took about 10 hours from my house to my 1st stop in lille, I really diddnt thinking was that bad of a drive, I set off at 730 and arrived in Lille about 5 30, got some food and rest and carried non the day after.

Things to be aware of, you obviously need to take insurance copies with you halfords sell a European bag for £20 with breathalysers triangles spare bulbs, high vis, light defectors etc the main thing is there arnt many shell stations around, so if your a strict shell user then plan your route around the stations, also on my 1st trip I was confused as to which was super unleaded they don't always show the octane number on the pump. 

Be very weary around roundabouts, its every man for himself out there, they don't have lane discipline at all, so if you come onto a Bigish round about with 4 or 5 exits and 2 or 3 lanes then just be vigilant. Also speed cameras around towns and villages in Germany Belgium are tiny and I think blue, so not very easy to spot, especially when you get the really nice hilly Forrest roads of Germany, the speed limit changes constantly from 50 to 80 to 70 to 50. 

Iv only ever been as far as the ring so I'm not much help after that, but aim for stelvio pass and lake como in Italy or lake Garda. Meant to be absolutly beautiful places with really good roads surrounding them..

Let us know how you get on and the route your planning on taking maybe because I'm planning on doing similar next year in June. I plan on going to the ring for a few days, then down through Switzerland to Italy for a few days, gunna go on monza and imola hopefully when I'm there, then across to south of france and up the west coast back to Calais, so I'd be interested to know some routes and places to stay in and around italy,

But more importantly, hope you have a blast and I'm sure youl love it, especially round the German forest roads are amazing, you'll be going back every year lol 

Stay overnight near the tunnel crossing and get an early train across. You can smash through north/central France (dull striaght roads) in one day pretty easy. 

We exited the tunnel before 8am and got to Interlaken in Switzerland by afternoon!!

I wouldnt base your self in one place for than one night, the roads around Switzerland are amazing, and your want to travel around. 

There are plenty of nice hotels enroute. Don't try to cover more than 100 miles a day through the Alps, as its much better to take your time enjoy the scenery/roads with stops rather than just cover distance.

If your enjoy driving than there is really no excuse not to experience roads around the alps at least once, so much more enjoyable than a long haul flight to yet another beach/resort....and given how easy it is to get there once you been your want to go back year on year!

Now that our daughter can tolerate longer drives (just did Leicester to Edinburgh round trip) we're planning to do the Alps around SouthFrance this coming summer, and than Norway year after. Cannot wait :).

15049882839_424db15fa7_b_d.jpg

14779273880_68aa9ecf57_z_d.jpg

15043286971_7d008c6f0b_b_d.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

This looks incredible!

I think the plan is to hit Switzerland for sure, there are six of us going as i said but our partners aren't going to want to sit in a car for two weeks being thrown around. One idea we had was to 'base' ourselves somewhere nice and let the ladies sit and drink wine while we go for a drive... not sure how this will pan out though haha!

the Euro tunnel is looking the cheaper option for sure but factor in cost of fuel and its a tough choice. the fact is i dont fancy sitting on the M1 and spending my first day of my holiday driving UK motorways. that being said if we are going direct to Switzerland i would take the tunnel staying over in the uk as suggested above. this would mean missing Germany and the museums. I'm not remotely interested in going to the ring but i know one of the lads wants to visit (not to drive it) i think i'm trying to cram too much into one trip so maybe i need to keep it simple.

Tunnel, Switzerland for a couple of days do some sightseeing, walking and alpine roads... 

Then drop down to the south of France and get a villa for a few nights...

25 minutes ago, Spatt said:

I think the plan is to hit Switzerland for sure, there are six of us going as i said but our partners aren't going to want to sit in a car for two weeks being thrown around. One idea we had was to 'base' ourselves somewhere nice and let the ladies sit and drink wine while we go for a drive... not sure how this will pan out though haha!

Trust me there is more than enough nice lakes/scenery/wine to keep anyone entertained aside from the roads, this was the view out of one of our hotel rooms....Just be warned Switzerland is not cheap, you can forget about things like all inclusive deals on food/drink deals most holiday resorts offer - its the total opposite end of the spectrum. I have a feeling they keep the prices high on purpose to keep the majority of tourists away, but if you want amazing roads your struggle to beat it. There is also hardly any traffic - Stelveo aside. 

Infact forget south of France, looking at those pictures I rather go back to Interlaken/Switzerland this summer :lol:.

15729287431_f2d1604aa1_z_d.jpg

Just 'another' amazing Alpine pass. 

15043301621_902aa6a54c_z_d.jpg

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

I'm just in the middle of planning next years Euro trip.

Last year we took the overnight ferry from Hull to Rotterdam, on to Heppenheim Germany, Glarus Switzerland, Beaune France, Spa Belgium then Rotterdam home. Stunning scenery in Switzerland and driving in Europe is so straight forward.

With that you've got about 4.5 driving in between destinations. You'll need a Vignette for driving in Switzerland but you can purchase this as soon as you get over the boarder and it's only 50 quid. Also the speed cameras are on the tunnel entry so watch your speed, someone i know was relieved of his vehicle in Switzerland and the police had it for 3 months before they'd release it.

Next year is much the same but including Le Mans for the classic 24h and the Italian lakes. Debating the Southampton ferry but the trek

down south for 8:15 Am doesn't sound appealing. The cost of a southern hotel puts the cost up to the Hull / Rotterdam ferry so swings and roundabouts.

As for everything else, Hi Vis, Breathalyzer etc etc, plenty of low cost euro kits kicking about ont tinterweb.

On 11/21/2017 at 13:44, Ekona said:

Might have missed it, but when are you planning on going?

not sure, anywhere between May and August really, just looking for ideas on what to look out for and what to avoid really.

Also places to stop that might be nice to spend a night or a couple of nights

Have a good read online for weather advice on the passes - nearly all will be closed in April, some may still be closed in May depends on the weather. Later in the year you go the better really. 

And yes, Swiss police and fines for bad driving are legendary - a friend of mine got something like a £1k fine for doing an illegal U turn at the exit of a tunnel (which yes is bloody stupid but still a thousand quid).

Driving in the continent is no different from here, other than they have really good lane discipline and theres about half as many cars on the road, lovely. 

I always use the Chunnel (I probably go over every month or so) but I only live 1hr 20 minutes up the road from it, I wouldnt fancy a 6 hour drive to get home afterwards.

Drivingwise, France has very few police but if you are caught at speed they will fine heavily and potentially seize car. Ive never seen Police in Belgium, Italy or Slovenia other than at the border so drive as fast as you like, Germany as someone else said hide their cameras but make up for it with Autobahn (incredible how quickly you can cover distance at 150mph :teeth:), Austria are buggers for camera and have them on motorways too - I have collected about 8 Austrian tickets in the last couple of years :blush:

Keep in mind that some countries require Vignettes and the fines are quite high if you dont bother, and download Waze as Navigation, it not only has incredible traffic management but also tells you about speed cameras and traps, its saved me a few times ;)

If you decide to go via North Sea Ferries from Hull, I would recommend Zeebrugge instead of Rotterdam, cuts a good hour of your journey.

I have done two/three week road trips in Europe for the last five years so when you decide on a route PM me and I will see if I can recommend any good places to stay.

3 hours ago, mbs said:

If you decide to go via North Sea Ferries from Hull, I would recommend Zeebrugge instead of Rotterdam, cuts a good hour of your journey.

I have done two/three week road trips in Europe for the last five years so when you decide on a route PM me and I will see if I can recommend any good places to stay.

cheeers man thats handy, its still so all up in the air and i dont know where to start if im honest...

I think we're going to Stuttgart for two nights thats all i can say for sure haha

whats the best way from Stuttgart to Switzerland and what are the "must drive" roads on the way?

Apparently the 500 from Baden-baden is a beautiful road to drive so wanted to pick that up since its heading south?

might stay another night somewhere near the boarder of Switzerland? or try and make it to Internlaken in Switzerland? i guess the susten pass would be next up from there?

4 hours ago, Spatt said:

whats the best way from Stuttgart to Switzerland and what are the "must drive" roads on the way?

Apparently the 500 from Baden-baden is a beautiful road to drive so wanted to pick that up since its heading south?

might stay another night somewhere near the boarder of Switzerland? or try and make it to Internlaken in Switzerland? i guess the susten pass would be next up from there?

The 500 is awesome mate 

We tend to look at Google maps and try head through as many national parks etc as possible they never fail to turn up awesome roads that might not be on a must do list 

Luxembourg had some of my favourite roads surprisingly 

19 hours ago, Spatt said:

cheeers man thats handy, its still so all up in the air and i dont know where to start if im honest...

I think we're going to Stuttgart for two nights thats all i can say for sure haha

Going Zeebrugge avoids having to go round Brussels, worse than Paris in my opinion, I would go Zeebrugge, Lille then pick up A26/E17 to Reims then the AutoRoute de L'Est straight through to the German Border. Great roads in France 50% less traffic on the motorways.

Enjoy the trip.

5 hours ago, mbs said:

Going Zeebrugge avoids having to go round Brussels, worse than Paris in my opinion, I would go Zeebrugge, Lille then pick up A26/E17 to Reims then the AutoRoute de L'Est straight through to the German Border. Great roads in France 50% less traffic on the motorways.

Enjoy the trip.

Hitting Reims also allows for a quick photo op detour at the historic circuit route.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reims-Gueux

23 hours ago, SuperStu said:

Hitting Reims also allows for a quick photo op detour at the historic circuit route.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reims-Gueux

thank Stu, I didn't know where this place was, ive seen it in one of Joe Achillies videos and its a popular stop on any of the big euro drives.. definantly on the "to do" list