What would you do?

StevoD

Hey everyone, for those that didn't know I was made redundant in August.

Today I have two job offers an am torn between them. just want your guy's opinions

Top line difference between job A and job B is £3.3k 

Job A will require about £2k worth of travel costs a year, 

Job B has all travel costs included. 

Job A requires working weekends and bank hols with shifts covering 24hours a day, It also works on the following pattern.

7 Shifts on - 2 Shifts off - 7 Shifts on - 2 Shifts off - 7 shifts on - 4 days off, 

Job B is working Mon-Fri 8-4, 

Job A gets 25 days holidays and have to work bank hols your rota is on so like Christmas etc , 

Job B gets 26 days off plus bank hols, 

Job A is in an industry I have an interest in but I will be trained to do the job, with the possibility of moving to a different location on more money in future years

Job B I have experience with but not so much an interest in,  

Both jobs are about 30-60 minutes travel depending on traffic away

Now what would you do, I know the info is limited, I'm stuck between about the same amount after travel costs and tax are concerned but 1 requires losing a lot of freedom to do personal things at weekends and uring the week due to shift work but the other role doesn't seem to have the potential or growth behind it 

Edited by StevoD

Depends on what work pattern you think will suit you. Personally id go for Job B, even if the long term prospects arent as good. Weekends off, plus finishing at 4pm each day sounds great to me. Before I got married and was able to hang out with friends, all of them would be off at weekends - so if i worked a weekend id not be able to hang out with anyone.

You can always change jobs again in the future.

• Like 1

Job B sounds better than job A. But I'm assuming Job A gets £3.3k more but with around £2k of travelling hence only about £1.3k more? However, i would weight it against my social life/family/friends. I would actually go for the more interesting job as you'll have something to look forward to everyday and make your days shorter. Job B might be boring and you won't be in the job long as you'll want a different job very soon.

Edited by veeg33
  • Like 1

Just now, veeg33 said:

Job B sounds better than job A. But I'm assuming Job A gets £3.3k more but with around £2k of travelling hence only about £1.3k more? However, i would weight it against my social life/family/friends. I would actually go for the more interesting job as you'll have something to look forward to everyday and make your days shorter. Job B might be boring and you won't be in the job long as you'll want a different job very soon.

also to note its 3.3k before tax after tax the difference seems to be around 2.4-2.6k using online calculators then minus the travel 

cash in pocket difference is £4-700

Whats most important to you right now? Personally I would write down all the important things you need in your life and in your job in one column and order them in terms of priority top to bottom. Then have a column of Job A and Job B and then tick whichever job best suits against each of your needs. Give two ticks against your high priority things to give them more weight then tally it all up and see what comes out on top.

I know I would probably go for job B as some of my priorities right now are family, time at home, weekends to relax and do my thing. Ten years ago though it would have been A, and indeed I moved to Japan and worked my backside off working weekends, lots of travel, hardly any time at home. 

In terms of the salary, I guess it depends on what the total salary is, if its £100k vs £103k then bah who cares right. But if its £27k vs £30k then its certainly a consideration. Although bear in mind I know people on high salaries that hate their job and are miserable for it and others on lower salaries living their dream and as happy as larry (whoever larry is, would love to meet larry one day...)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StevoD said:

also to note its 3.3k before tax after tax the difference seems to be around 2.4-2.6k using online calculators then minus the travel 

cash in pocket difference is £4-700

Looks like there isn't much in cash difference. I would definitely think about what you want in future. Do you want save up for a house? Save up for a dream car? what's  your goal?

Some would like to climb up the career ladder, some would just like to do the same job for next 20-30 years until they retire. It all really dependent of what you want near or far.

Get a boring job and drag it everyday until you eventually give up and find another job. Or get something exciting and hope it will keep you interested.

Finding the right balance is not always simple. I would say go with what you think will make you happy and align with your goals.

• Like 1

Then perhaps park ('scuse the pun) your drifting goal, make it longer term. Get yourself into an industry that you want to be in longer term and then once you have control over working hours pull your drifting goal back into focus. If getting into that industry is more important than drifting competitions right now then your answer is relatively straight forwards.

Alternatively, turn both down and see what else you can find? Or take job B in the interim and keep looking for roles in the other industry you like?

Set goals, set priorities and align those with your decision making. Things in life often take planning and maneuvering and don't always happen short term, but if you have a plan generally you will get there! 

• Like 1

For me, time spent at home is becoming more and more important - Ive worked long hours all of my life and as you get older you start to realise you never get it back, including the time sat in a car each way and the Saturday morning lost to catching up on sleep. 

However, Ive also reached a point in my career where Im doing well financially and I dont actually have to work 5, or even 4 days a week, this is in no small part to 60+ hour weeks for the last 18 years.  

Its a difficult one but having worked weekends in the past Id do nearly anything to avoid that again, its crap having a Tuesday and a Thursday off when no-one else does and having to watch them going out every weekend while youre getting up at 0630 for work.  

FWIW (and following on from our many conversations about this), the answer for you is Job A.

You spent forever and a day bitching to me about how crap your last job was, and that you hated it, and you desperately wanted out of the industry to go and do something you enjoyed. We worked up plans to put in that place, and we spent time figuring out just what kind of roles would get you to a point where you didn't hate work and life in general. To go back to that is utterly pointless.

Put it this way: You were doing a Mon-Fri, 9-5 job that let you spend money and time on your cars, and you hated life. What makes you think going back there is suddenly going to make you happy again?

Unless you desperately need money (and you may well do at this point, which is fair enough) then the only answer is Job A. Job B is going to leave you f*cking miserable and stuck in a dead end again, and then you'll be a year or two further down the line with nothing to show for it once more. I see zero point in that. If you take Job A and don't like it then you can fall back to Job B (or similar) in a couple of years having lost precisely nothing, but if you don't take that chance while you can then you'll be kicking yourself about it.

Do you want a job, or do you want a career?