Gutted about my Z

WINKJ

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. It has surprised me how much of an impact it's had on me actually. However i'm sure i'll shake it off soon. 

Just really want to get an update on whether my car will be repairable or not :( .. fingers crossed! 

2 hours ago, WINKJ said:

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. It has surprised me how much of an impact it's had on me actually. However i'm sure i'll shake it off soon. 

It will take a good few months to get over it. Like you, I was quite surprised. Ive crashed motorbikes many times etc, but this was completely different and left me shook up for a long while. But, you do get over it and you find you end up driving like Miss Marple as your paranoid it will happen again! 

Hopefully the insurance company will get back to you soon. Have they given you a hire car? When I had that person crash into me, companies were fighting over giving me loan cars as they just claim them straight back from the other persons insurance company.

Thanks guys. 

Small update. I received a letter in the post yesterday from the other parties insurance company offering to repair my car, provide hire car etc if I go through their insurance. Almost seems like a ploy to minimise their costs. The good news is that they seem to be admitting it was their fault, so i'm awaiting a formal response from my insurance. 

There is one line at the bottom of the letter which has me a little worried which states that if I do not go through their insurance then I could be liable for costs to them. The problem I have is that i've already kicked of proceedings through my insurance in terms of repair, hire car etc. 

Any advice/comments welcome! have I made a mistake by not going through their insurance? 

Just leave it to your insurance company to sort out.. They will speak to the other company and decide what to do.

Sometimes your insurance company will do the repairs etc. themselves then claim back off the other insurance company, other times the other insurance company will just sort it all out.

• Like 2

On 23 November 2017 at 11:12, WINKJ said:

There is one line at the bottom of the letter which has me a little worried which states that if I do not go through their insurance then I could be liable for costs to them. The problem I have is that i've already kicked of proceedings through my insurance in terms of repair, hire car etc. 

Any advice/comments welcome! have I made a mistake by not going through their insurance? 

Insurance compaines will try to minimise their cost first and look after their customers second.

In a non fault claim its up to the third party insurer to resolve the claim to YOUR satisfaction and cover the costs. 

In my case Admiral was third party insurer. They started sending all kinds of rubbish when it dawned on them the potential total cost of the claim, at one point they even say they were going to close the case, not pay for any loan car and if I didnt accept their low ball offer I would have to contact the onbsman. This was when I was deciding if i was going for a new car order, and just after they formally accepted liabilty.

In the end Admiral had to do what they were legally bound to do, pay for me to get back in a like for like car, cover my motoring costs fot 4 months whilst the new car was delivered, and I've just received a cheque for £1550 for the extra VED associated with the new car which my old car was exempt from.

So don't get intimated by the letters, know your rights and remeber you didnt ask for any of this.

Hope you get a good outcome. 

Edited by gangzoom
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to see this! I know people always mention speed straight away for every accident but that guy simply didn't even look! It was dark too so you can see the lights before the vehicle......I drive loads with work and see this type of thing all the time and its so frightening that so many people drive like this.  I'm not a massive fan of dashcams but in a case like this its hard not to make a case for them.

I did have a similar thing happen to me years ago (not quite as bad though) and although I thought it had not effected me at all I did find myself flinching everytime a car came to a junction as I drove past I guess in case they didn't stop again.......its only natural and it goes away in time and confidence comes back.

Re insurance companies.......it is so frustrating that when you are the innocent victim you have all this agro to deal with now! As said already I would be very cautious indeed about where my car goes, they will look at the best deal for them and not you. Repair rather than replace damaged items etc......Is it not too unreasonable to go to a Nissan approved bodyshop? That way all parts will be replaced with oem parts and should be a top quality job for you.

I do wish you the very best with getting it all sorted out...........and for the rest of the country lets hope that guy starts stopping and looking at junctions from now on too!!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys - thanks for the comments and support, it makes a difference. 

So the initial repair cost has come in at around 16k as the steering column, suspension, wheel, a number of other parts .. needs to be replaced, i'm not sure i'd feel comfortable driving the car again at speed in the twisties given the amount of work that needs to happen. I have been given the option to repair it if I really want or write it off for the market value which would be around 24k. 

I think given everything i'd probably be better to take the cash, think about my next steps and then get something new in the new year. 

:(

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this is where you and this Z part company but I too would have a hard time with a car that's had so much repair work done. If the chassis has had such a hard hit there's a good chance you'll get issues down the line with things being out of line to rusting etc

At least the insurance seem to be making you a reasonable offer, might be worth trying to squeeze them for a little more with it being a 1 owner car and in perfect condition though, my friend had some success with this when he was involved in a no fault collision that wrote his car off.........got to be worth a go!

Wish you well with whatever you decide to do in the future with a replacement

• Thanks 1

I'd take the cash, put down a nice deposit on something tasty, or use it for home improvements type thing?
For the record, a new Nismo can be had for less than 37k on Carwow, or you can buy used for under that.
£10k down with a £37k car puts you at atound £285 a month, if you'd be looking to finance - I was told every £1000 knocks the monthly down by £30 ish, which doing the maths seemed true.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikevv said:

I'd take the cash, put down a nice deposit on something tasty, or use it for home improvements type thing?
For the record, a new Nismo can be had for less than 37k on Carwow, or you can buy used for under that.
£10k down with a £37k car puts you at atound £285 a month, if you'd be looking to finance - I was told every £1000 knocks the monthly down by £30 ish, which doing the maths seemed true.

Not sure I could go back to a Nismo after - may take the chance to look at something new. However the insurance are doing a full strip down of the car today to get a full and comprehensive view of the extend of the damage. If its still 50/50 they will take my decision into account and it's very likely I'll not be taking the car back. 

My 2 concerns are that they insist that now they can fix it, which would be annoying as i've made my decision. Secondly they don't give me a good value on it. 

Edited by WINKJ