BMW 645Ci Manual Coupe £6995

Ekona

1.thumb.jpg.05a4e534d973f19e6a076b17badcb9c6.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.eab82872403adacf43b3c45498aa6a76.jpg10.thumb.jpg.1a73c55c2b3cd896b3e64551f4799054.jpg12.thumb.jpg.5648597d5454d386b6384b412b3b4d1b.jpg

Linky to PH ad with more pics on

October 2004 car (’54 registration)

124,000 miles

Manual gearbox

3M Gloss Burnt Orange wrap over Metallic Silver

Roof, wing mirrors, side strakes and window trim wrapped in gloss black

Custom quad-tipped exhaust

BC Racing BR adjustable suspension

H&R adjustable ARBs

K&N open cone filter with custom aluminium heat shield

Japan Racing JR18 wheels in Hyper Black, 18x8.5J front and 18x9.5J rear

Maxton Design front lip

Carbon fibre FRP adjustable rear wing

Black kidney grills

M Sport gearknob

Retrimmed steering wheel in nappa leather with perforated 12 o’clock marker

Recaro Pole Position driver seat on VAC Motorsport adaptors with Recaro side mounts

MOT due Jan 5th 2019 (yup, nineteen)

Here for sale is my 2004 BMW 645Ci, purchased by myself in January 2015. She is an incredibly rare manual coupe, and over the last couple of years I have carried out a fair amount of work to not only bring her up to the high standard that she deserves to be in, but also to significantly improve the way she drives.

Any research into the E63 6-series will confirm that the biggest issue with the V8 is the valve stem seals. Essentially these fail and cause the car to burn a serious amount of oil, as well as smoke excessively. This work is not cheap by any standards, and if a car has not had these replaced then you’ll need to budget at least £2K at an independent to have them replaced. I had this work carried out in 2015 by AutoEnhance (documentation included) so that it was something I never had to worry about, and neither will the next owner. The PCV valves have also been replaced, another popular cause of excess smoking. I also had the coolant transfer pipe inspected, as this can be another expensive failure, and this was showing no signs of any degradation at all. The car is not using any coolant to this day.

Also in 2015 shortly after purchase I had a new clutch and flywheel fitted, along with new discs and pads all round. A full fluids and filters change was also carried out at the same time. The current iDrive service intervals are showing the following:

Brake fluid 02/2019

Oil 4.4k

Plugs 17k

Front pads 17k

Rear pads 26k

Microfilter 29k

In terms of intake and exhaust, the latter has had two new custom rear boxes installed in early 2015 to release some extra noise. In no way intrusive or excessive, but certainly noticeable over the stock system both at idle and throughout the rev range. The restrictive OEM airbox has been removed and replaced by an open cone K&N filter. This was carried out by myself after discussions with K&N USA as to the appropriate size of air filter required, and I’ve also fitted a one-piece aluminium heatshield to protect from heat soak but still allow air to flow around the filter rather than just stall.

Any car of this age will have seen better days when it comes to the suspension, so I took the opportunity to replace all four corners with the BC Racing BR coilovers. These were installed by AutoEnhance in October 2015, along with a new set of H&R anti roll bars front and rear. All of these are adjustable, and in January 2017 I had a full chassis tune carried out by Center Gravity in Atherstone. This included a full corner weighting, ride height, rake and damping setup, so the car handles as well as it possibly can and certainly better than it did in full OEM guise.

The car is currently on Japan Racing JR18 wheels, 18x8.5 on the front and 18x9.5 on the rear. These are wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres, with 245/45 on the front and 275/40 on the rear as per BMW specs for 18 inch wheels. There is approx 3-4mm remaining on the tyres.

In June 2016 I had the entire car wrapped in 3M Gloss Burnt Orange by Valet Magic in Camberley. I specifically chose the 3M wrap not just for the wonderfully deep colour and the obvious quality of the material, but also to ensure that should I ever need to replace any then it would be easy to get hold of. The wrap included the external door shuts as you can see in the photos, and I also had the wing mirrors plus the chrome trim on the side strakes and windows wrapped in gloss black. The roof had previously been wrapped in gloss black by AutoEnhance at the same time the suspension was replaced. None of the wrap is showing any signs of bubbling, fading or lifting at all: It’s one of the best wraps I’ve ever seen on any car.

The Maxton Design front lip was also fitted in June 2016, and gives the front end a more aggressive look but without being so low that it catches on anything. This was very much taken into account on the chassis setup Center Gravity carried out, so that this is still a usable car on all roads. The rear wing was fitted in May 2016, and is supported underneath the fibreglass bootlid by steel supports to prevent damage or movement. This was mounted onto a spare bootlid I had resprayed in the original silver colour, and then wrapped. Original bootlid available if you would like to swap them over.

The Recaro seat was fitted in November 2016, and is mounted on genuine Recaro hardware including sliders to ensure full range of movement. It’s a wonderfully comfortable yet very supportive seat, and is very similar in design to the seat produced by Recaro for the M/CSL cars of the era. The gearknob has been replaced by a genuine M Sport one which reduces the height of the shift, allowing for a much more positive gear change. The steering wheel was retrimmed by Hide N Seat in nappa leather, and bulked out slightly for comfort as the stock wheel on these cars is too firm in my opinion.

In terms of other maintenance carried out in my ownership, I’ve had the following replaced:

Front headlight HID bulbs (now slightly brighter than stock at 6000K)

Headlight ballast OSF

Brake hard pipe as indicated on MOT

Wheel bearing OSF

Lower ball joint NSR

Tie rod OSF

Coolant reservoir (these are known to leak after 100k miles)

Oil pressure sensor

Air con compressor pipe seals

Clutch delay valve removed (gives a much more positive clutch feel)

All belts replaced in 2017

So nothing particularly major at all, and I had Center Gravity carry out a full inspection of the underneath of the car in terms of suspension components this year and they could find nothing else that needed doing any time soon either. Certainly the car still drives as well as it ever has.

It goes without saying that she certainly doesn’t go unnoticed, but I’ve always prioritised performance and especially maintenance over anything cosmetic and I think that any careful and reasonable owner would do the same. I do still have the original wheels (Style 118), the original driver seat (in excellent condition), airbox and the original unmarked bootlid which the new owner is welcome to and will be included with the car if the asking price is met.

I would happily put her up against a car with half the miles on in terms of overall condition, and certainly with the valve stem seal work completed she will go on for many years yet. This is a wonderful car and just shows how good the chassis underneath actually is, as with the few modifications that have been carried out this is now a very involving driver’s car. Any inspection is welcome, but test drives only with proof of full UK licence and fully comp insurance please.

Any questions or queries welcomed.

Edited by Ekona

3 hours ago, Ekona said:

:lol:

Nothing else lined up right now, just fancy a change and going to see what’s out there :) 

So many cars to drive, so little time.

Great ad, I was tempted by these as the best way into V8, but then decided to go B4 instead. 

GLWTS

• Like 1

Bumpety-bump for the new year! :D

Also because I've had the MOT done now so she's all good until Jan next year, plus I couldn't resist taking her out for Xmas so she ticked over the 123K mile mark :lol: Well, it would've been rude to leave her sat at home on the quietest day on the roads all year. Still absolutely gorgeous to drive, still making wonderful noises, still up for sale. Does it hurt to say that I'm open to offers, or is that just really obvious anyway?

I *may* be interested in a trade too, but it would need to be either a mk1 or mk2 MX5 or a mk3 MR2.

Bumpy for price drop :D Although let's be honest, we're all friends here and you know I'll take £7K including all the extra bits I mentioned if you're a member of this forum.

Hell, make it £6999 to keep the missus happy if it makes for a sale! :lol: If you're even remotely interested, give me a shout and we can talk. Whatever your preconceptions of a 6 series, and I definitely had some too, I can promise you this will change them. Plus V8...

I haven't, no. I've never been on DW, and tbh I suspect that someone signing up just to flog an orange 6er is probably going to get short shrift :lol: Not a bad idea mind, happy to be proved wrong.

I've had a few bites via eBay, just waiting for someone to come view it this weekend. Would much rather it went to someone I knew though, hence pimping it here hardest :)

Unfortunately I need a car that has better fuel economy than a 350 as we'll be moving house shortly and the missus will use the new car for a commute to save the Impreza fuel costs, but thanks anyway. :)

Get yours sold quick then come buy mine ;)