0-100 in 4.4 seconds...

gangzoom

^ Gosh you must love EVs more than me, even I dont get excited about seeing another Tesla to the point of putting it on YouTube :).

The noise thing I personally don't miss, but I also dont get the fascination of steam trains, slow, loud, cluncky, why people like sitting in one is beyond me. But plenty of people like that kind of stuff, which is fine.

The pure acclerative force of the roadster 2.0 is something I cannot wait to experience. Having control of something that can acclerate at 1.4g at will is utter maddness, pointless, and probably reckless on public roads....Cannot wait to try one :).

Edited by gangzoom
  • Like 1

Acceleration is fun for the 2 secs you get before you're ready to lose your licence. Having something that makes a wonderful noise even when pootling around at 30mph and that is nimble in the corners at the same speed is something that you can appreciate constantly. :)

37 minutes ago, Ekona said:

Acceleration is fun for the 2 secs you get before you're ready to lose your licence. Having something that makes a wonderful noise even when pootling around at 30mph and that is nimble in the corners at the same speed is something that you can appreciate constantly. :)

Agreed and its much the same argument that Ring times are pointless, so what if a car is fastest around a track if it has no theatre or feel behind it. 

Things like the Vulcan bomber or the flying Scotsman will always be cherished more than their Modern Regulated Eco equivalents  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ekona said:

30mph, I'm lucky to see half that in my trips around Leicester. Took me 45 minutes to go 7 miles today, would have just taken the pedal bike in the past but apparently putting an 18 months old on a pinion is not seen as responsible at nursery pick up :).

Noise is great in isolation, but when your stuck in traffic all you end up doing is making your self deaf.

I realise part of the reason why I love driving EVs so much is when you are stuck in traffic they are simply so much more comfortable, no engine rattles, no temperamental gear box lurches at 5 mph, but when you do get a bit of open road your up to speed quicker than anything else.

As for handling, I've not driven an equivalent combustion SUV, I doubt very much any would handle any better/worse than the X. Yes you feel the weight shift in corner but it's amazing how accurately you can place it, add in the instant torque and it's just as quick if not quicker (due to AWD) than my old 335i on flowing B roads.

The roadster is a car not much bigger than the Elise, Tesla haven't announced any detailed specs but if they can keep the battery pack weight down and get the whole thing to come in around 1500kg, it'll be hell of a machine to throw round.

You can see just how quick (and hard to control) a Lotus with a Tesla motor is when it's done by a man in a shed......imagine that but development from the manufactures. If you have any interest in things that go quickly I cannot see how you can ignore EVs.

https://youtu.be/If09etyztl8

Edited by gangzoom

Fast != fun. 

Well, not always anyway. I wouldn’t buy any SUV for the driving dynamics, and whilst a Cayenne Turbo is quite nippy it’s also huge and heavy: An MX5 is far more entertaining. 

When I mention engine noise I’m not talking about a four pot with a six inch can attached to it: I’m talking about feeling the gentle pulse of multiple cylinders through the seat back and throttle pedal, and the ability to gently blip the throttle just lightly when sat in traffic for no other reason than entertainment. No mention of speed, those are pleasures that count as much in central London as they do at Spa. 

Ultimately I see cars as a passionate hobby, whereas GZ sees them as practical transport. That’s fine, each to their own and all that. As I’ve said before I’d happily have a little EV as a city car get around, I’d just never have one as my hobby. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, davey_83 said:

That just this thing, everyone forum Zed owner could have paid the same money and bought something quicker but faster doesn't mean more special.

I said something similar a month or 2 ago, I forget which thread though. I'm not dead against EV, and as a work tool its what I'd rather have, esp since I lose out on business miles in the company car. But its not something that excites my passion. 

Oh and don't get me started on Steam Trains, I love em :lol:. Not in an anorak and note book kinda way, but an audio-visual experience, they look and sound ace. 

Edited by Jay84

I would rather burble thorough a city hearing a v8 from Trailhawk or a Raptor bouncing off the walls than the dysonic hum of a Tesla, although EV is the future for the majority in the same way ride sharing an autonomous taxi is. I cant see a future with everyone owning EVs purely because the current world isnt built to deal with it.  Millions of people live in Flats and apartments or houses with on road parking where charging isn't practical and the only real answer to that is knock down billions pounds worth of buildings to rebuild areas in such a car that it can be done.

How fast a Tesla is will be irrelevant when in the future the car will drive itself the most economical way to conserve energy.

• Like 1

Actually, that's a damn good point. On street parking with terraced houses and wires running to your car over night until some chavvy kid unplugs you. 

Sorry boss i can't come to work today, someone unplugged my car over night...BRB just looking at Leafs (Leaves?)now. 

I get that it can fun to have maximum torque at 0 rpm and is very quick. However i thought the zed was quicker than you can enjoy legally 90% of the time. I think the main thing is that most of us are petrol heads and if we all had the money to buy a Tesla there are probably 100 petrol cars in the budget before we would consider an electric car.

• Like 1

Chris does sum it up like many a petrolhead on here at the end - its brutally fast, but it doesn't excite, it 'doesnt light the fuse' and the ride is a bit poor as it tries to deal with the weight. It destroyed that 911 but thats what 600bhp and 700lbft of equivalent power does. Interior looked a bit meh - not a fan of the big screen but can imagine a technogeek would love it. 

impressive, very impressive. while some people have mentioned that the 4.4 - 100 mph is pretty pointless, surely so must be the 100 - 150 mph test. where are you going to do that? :wacko: i doubt it's a car people want to drag down Santa Pod. Anywho, Very impressive though. 

I'd still take the porker over the Tamiya. 

I would imagine the roadster would be an awesome track car if they can get it to handle, I wonder though with the range, Harris noted that it lost 40 miles of range after a bit of spirited driving, maybe I missed it but how much spirited driving was that? Was that after 3 or 4 miles of putting his foot down or much more? It would have been useful to know.

6 hours ago, davey_83 said:

P100D Nurburgring lap time???......

EVs cannot do continuous peak running due to the amount of heat generated from pulling stupid amounts of charge from the pack.

The biggest story behind the Roadster 2.0(and the truck) is the battery tech Tesla is teasing.

The current P100D has a 102kWh pack with 98kWh usable and weighs in at over 600kg. The Roadster is hinting at 200kWh usable in half the physical size.

Pulling 400-500KW of power from a 200kWh will generate half the heat it does in a 100kWh pack. Which in turn mean sustainable high performance without heat issues.

There is alot of guess work going on regarding how Tesla have developed a battery pack with such dense energy storage, let alone have it ready for mass production by 2019.

200kWh is enough electricity to power an average UK house for nearly 2 weeks!!! 

Am not sure I believe Tesla can deliver on mass producing such a battery. But Elon Musk put it down in writing, and given the fact his rocket company has achieved what NASA said as impossible I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by gangzoom

1 hour ago, gangzoom said:

have it ready for mass production by 2019.

Am not sure I believe Tesla can deliver on mass producing such a battery. But Elon Musk put it down in writing

The same guy who missed the target of 1600 Model 3's by 1340?

Rearrange these 3 words:

Sh8t of full

Down in writing or not 

6 minutes ago, Jetpilot said:

Do you mean losses of £468 million in Q3, doubling its losses of Q2? :lol:

No not at all I don't know what you mean...and that the successful entrepreneur Musk announced earlier this year that they will be skipping beta testing for the Model 3 to try and get it out on the shelf and actually earn the company some money. And that NASA saved SpaceX from extinction ten years ago with a near $2bn contract to keep it going.

Yes, he's done it all on his own, that showed everyone :lol:

• Haha 1

• coldel locked this topic