Where is The North?

Ekona

Following on from an article on the BBC about a display dedicated to The North of England currently showing in London, I thought I'd ask the following question and see what others think: Very simply, where does The North start?

Blank-map.jpg.99684e11228720181a6f0a98c03b1933.jpg

So there's a blank map for everyone to scribble over. Personally, I've come up with two options, just to be awkward. First off, here's the clear N/S divide:

My-map.jpg.b248bc113fb2e40832aa9a1c4185c85b.jpg

And hey, I even marked out Scotland and Wales too! This got me thinking though, what about the poor Midlanders? I guess if I have to make a choice on those too, then I'm going to give them their own piece of land like so:

My-map2.jpg.80074a8be004a855b831d37b1b93be1d.jpg

Now that's pretty definitive, right there. Or am I completely wrong? Back me up here guys! :D

Just a bit of fun, no offense meant to the knuckle-draggers oop north etc ;)

• Like 1

For me it’s anything south of Derby.

Some say it’s: 

- Where people start going for sushi at lunchtime instead of Greggs. 

- Where the beer is served flat, for reasons unknown.

- When it’s called dinner and not tea.

- Anywhere where you don’t have gravy on chips.

• Like 1

In my personal opinion, Grantham/Derby/Stoke is the line - no-one would call Kings Lynn or Leicester North, or Sheffield and Liverpool South. 

However, if you drive up the A1 you see signposts for "The North" right the way up until youre past Leeds .......... what madness is this? Anything North of Leeds is pretty much Scotland at the end of the day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ekona said:

I can't quite get my head around the fact that when you're standing at the North Pole, anyway you move is south. I mean, I understand the idea, it just still blows my mind :lol:

To compound it, in theory, you could be standing on the bottom of the planet - depending on where in space you are looking at it from :lol:

• Confused 1

I would say on my side of the country The North starts in Cheshire...... Shropshire, Staffs Derbyshire, Lincs and Notts are Midlands ( even though geographically some of those counties have towns that are further North than parts of Cheshire or even Merseyside. The South starts roughly from a line from Gloucester to Luton and the South West from a line from Bristol to Weymouth. Some places like Hereford are neither North, South or Midlands, same for Norwich...just my take on it.

Pete

The North, IMO, begins level with Wales meets England by Chester, and the South begins where Wales meets England by Bristol. Everything is between in the Midlands.

Edited by KyleR